• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ryanzreality

ryanzreality

mushroom murderer

• Expired Member
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

good luck murcury. looks simple enough. I have been eyeing the stuff in the store but have not tried any yet.

#22 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Murcury how'd it turn out?

#23 Cultosaurus

Cultosaurus

Aspiring Psychonaut

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

,I used to love making my own Kefir. I kinda got out of it for a while.

But here's an interesting idea. http://users.sa.char...lternativekefir. It's from the same link as Razeil.

In this Water Kefir TEK, he adds a variety of things, such as sugar, ginger, ginseng, angelica, fruit juices, coral, lime and eggshell. On this page, he discusses the effects of the different additives and the psychoactive effect of the Ginseng and Chinese Angelica intrigued me. I haven't tried it, but thought that adding things like cannabis or mushrooms to the Kefir might be an interesting concept. The Kefir seems to make what ever is added to it to be more easily absorbed by the body. Therefore, if you could make cannabis, shrooms or any number of entheogens, more easily absorbed, that would make for a very interesting trip. No?

Just an idea. .. . ...

#24 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 935 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:23 PM

Time to revive an old thread! I just received some kefir grains:

IMG_7381.jpg

I've been making a protein shake every day for a year and half now and I want to start replacing the milk with kefir. I like kefir from the store, but it's too damn expensive to buy all the time....so this way I can just keep buying milk and make my own.

Any other kefir lovers out there?

Edited by ElPirana, 02 September 2020 - 06:23 PM.

• Moonless and Mycol like this

#25 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:12 PM

A timely post. I am trying again to make a coconut milk kefir this evening. I have tried 3 times in the last few weeks and only succeeded once. The other 2 were candidates for a contam's thread. I figure my main issue has been maintaining the right temperature. Apparently our airing cupboard is not consistently warm enough. If the culture didn't take off within the first 12hrs or so it was doomed. I just bought a so called yogurt maker. Essentially a heated bucket. It regulates temperature and has a timer as well. Seems like overkill but I was really not having a good time improvising.

• Moonless likes this

#26 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 805 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:27 AM

Well, that was a bust too. Friday morning after 12hrs it was still just milky no signs of thickening or splitting. Left it the rest of day into the evening so 24hrs total at 42'C - by then it had formed a skin on top with signs of a couple of different moulds beginning and still just milk consistency. Yawn. Beginning to think the kefir starter culture I got is duff (dried powder in little sachets).

Anyhow ... One last go, given that coconut milk has only half the sugar content of cows milk I've added a spoon of sugar this time and for shits and giggles I put 2 sachets of starter culture in. We'll see how that goes.

• ElPirana likes this

#27 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 935 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Well, that was a bust too. Friday morning after 12hrs it was still just milky no signs of thickening or splitting. Left it the rest of day into the evening so 24hrs total at 42'C - by then it had formed a skin on top with signs of a couple of different moulds beginning and still just milk consistency. Yawn. Beginning to think the kefir starter culture I got is duff (dried powder in little sachets).

Anyhow ... One last go, given that coconut milk has only half the sugar content of cows milk I've added a spoon of sugar this time and for shits and giggles I put 2 sachets of starter culture in. We'll see how that goes.

I read that milk kefir culture doesn’t do well in milks that don’t have lactose, so that would include coconut milk. Maybe try getting your culture going and strong in some whole milk first for a week or two, then give it another try with the coconut milk.

My grains seem to be alive. I’ve got it into the third round of fresh milk, and it is definitely separating although a little slow yet.
  • Cuboid likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!