#1 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:18 AM

Hello there Topiates.
I'm inexperienced in the area Im posting in so Im just going to flat-out say that first. Smoking weed, no problem, out of a one-hitter. Anything else really is beyond me but Im beginning to expand. I would love to make some edibles. Maybe some brownies, but all the recipes I saw said "cannabutter." I understand the concept but resources here are limited. I saw ounces being used. At most 14 grams could be used in this upcoming recipe. I wonder if thats enough... How many grams to how much butter? In a ratio. I just don't get the measurements really. I want some good brownies to chill out during a concert. To really get in the moment. I don't want to be knocked out but I do want them to be potent. Any reply that could help would be great.

Basically:
1. How would one go about making good Cannabutter with 14 grams of green?
2. How much Cannabutter could be made from said green?
3. Would it be potent but not too potent?

Thanks in advance : )

#2 Tsering

Tsering

watching the grass grow

• OG VIP
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

I would boil seven grams of that bud in water with a stick of butter thrown in for a few hours, strain off the plant matter, then let the liquid cool in the fridge. The butter, now budder, will rise to the surface and you can take it off the top pretty easily. You could also do all 14g with two sticks of butter if your brownie recipe calls for two sticks.

You should get fairly strong brownies at 7g to a stick of butter, depending on the quality of material used. I think most people go with an OZ of trimmings to a stick of butter and and ounce of nug to 4 sticks of butter.

I'd eat a brownie and wait a few hours to see where it takes you, then eat more if needs be. Better to dose a little light than too much with the edibles as eating it can be a whole different experience.

Good luck with the budder man. Let us know how it turns out.

#3 Theodore Blass

Theodore Blass

On vacation

• Expired Member
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

What he said minus the boiling part...

If its quality greens Id just remove all stems, grind it up to dust and just add it to the mix. Eating the actual nug will get you wayyy more fucked up then butter extract.

Brownies were my specialty in high school. After enough dickin around I settled on the kiss method. Super easy, super quick, stupid potent.

#4 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

If its quality greens Id just remove all stems, grind it up to dust and just add it to the mix. Eating the actual nug will get you wayyy more fucked up then butter extract.

It's 14g's of regs. Not exactly quality but then again I smoke once very 2 weeks to 2 months so I have literally no tolerance built up. I was looking at making budder, but basically I want something that will give me pronounced effects without using too much supply as well as being semi-simple. I like your method Theo but I also wonder if that works for other things? Brownies tend to have to be eaten quickly and can't be around for awhile, Cookies can be stored in a jar for a relatively good amount of time without having issues. Would the same thing work for cookies? Grounding up the greens and putting them in the dough and just monitoring the time in the oven to make sure they aren't under or over baked? (no pun intended : P ) I'm trying to get the most of supply. For edibles I may be experimenting with a few different routes so suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the replies though both of you so far. Theo if you could answer those questions Id appreciate it too, thanks : )

#5 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

[email protected]#& the canna butter.
Use ALL the weed. When you have so little why waste any of it?
Put the dried herb in a coffee grinder, grind, add to brownie mix, add some extra oil, bake . . .

By baking you will carbolize the herb to a usable form, and by adding some more oil you will make sure to metabolize all of the goodies. The extra oil will cause it to need more baking time, Check with a toothpick for doneness. (Stick it in when it comes out clean they are done.)
That and I waaaaaaay prefer the result of using the whole leaf over a hash like butter. I'm just sayin' . . .

:teeth:

Freeze any leftovers

Edited by procell, 21 September 2011 - 12:20 PM.

#6 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:14 AM

The measurements mentioned seem about right. I generally use 1-2.5 oz per lb (4 sticks) of butter depending on whether it's straight bud (good bud), trim or a mix of the two. I have eaten brownies that had the plant matter added and I personally think they are grainy and disgusting and I didn't see a benefit over my butter recipe. I believe they may have just added the plant matter right to the mix with no simmering but I'm not sure. It was like eating a pile of raw weed in a dry brownie lol. I think if you do the butter process correctly there is no reason to keep that plant matter in there but that's just my opinion. My last run I used around 80% trim and the rest bud. I cooked 1.5 oz of matter into 1 lb of butter and strained it with a cheesecloth really really well with some thick heatproof gloves to make sure I got all the butter out. A french press would have been really nice but no such luck yet.

One little cookie about the size of a half dollar is a good start, two and you are fucking stoked :meditate:

Make sure to get butter with the largest fat content you can possibly find. I can't comment on oil because I haven't tried that yet. I would try to get some of your buddies together to spring for an ounce of super dank. Run that with an lb of butter and strain it and you will all be very happy, I promise :dance:

Edited by GadgetGuy, 29 September 2011 - 02:20 AM.

#7 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

Throw the (ground) 14 grams into a bottle of 151 or higher (like everclear) let it sit for a month then strain it out.

Keep that bottle in the dark and one shot will do ya.

Couldn't be easier to make, store or consume.

I like to make brownies and cookies myself though so listen to those guys up there^

#8 Theodore Blass

Theodore Blass

On vacation

• Expired Member
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

It's 14g's of regs. Not exactly quality but then again I smoke once very 2 weeks to 2 months so I have literally no tolerance built up. I was looking at making budder, but basically I want something that will give me pronounced effects without using too much supply as well as being semi-simple. I like your method Theo but I also wonder if that works for other things? Brownies tend to have to be eaten quickly and can't be around for awhile, Cookies can be stored in a jar for a relatively good amount of time without having issues. Would the same thing work for cookies? Grounding up the greens and putting them in the dough and just monitoring the time in the oven to make sure they aren't under or over baked? (no pun intended : P ) I'm trying to get the most of supply. For edibles I may be experimenting with a few different routes so suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the replies though both of you so far. Theo if you could answer those questions Id appreciate it too, thanks : )

This applies to any baked goods recipe. Replace oil with melted butter, water with milk and your golden. Double fudge brownies, cookies, corn bread, anything your heart desires.
Brownies can be frozen no problem. Your going to loose that amazing fresh taste aspect but youll still get funked. Fudge brownies worked the best for me.

Make sure to weigh the amount your putting in after you remove sticks/seeds. Mild to low tolerance id aim for 0.7g - 0.8g per serving. The finer you grind the better. Also, just so you can learn from my stupidity- mix ALL of the wet ingredients separately, mix all the dry ingredients separately and then combine both and mix. No clumps this way ;)

#9 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:59 AM

If it's true longevity you are after you could look into making hard candies. I have never made them myself but I've bought them from dispensaries in the area ranging from weak to semi strong. If you want to use butter for the recipe butterscotch or caramel would be your best bet. As for anything sugar based (like a jolly rancher etc) you would need to make a tincture rather than butter. Alcohol tinctures like mate suggested will also have a longer shelf life. Cannabis butter can be kept in the freezer for many, many months.... pull out as much as you need for a small batch of cookies, or even add a small slice to a piece of toast.

I love edibles :hugs:

#10 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:05 AM

Thank you all, unfortunately I lived and learned. I made cookies the easy way. Dumping the ground up green into the cookie batter. 8 grams in 9 cookies. Needless to say, I can't stand the taste. Horrid flavor in my opinion, not even close to any cookie flavor. Though it works at a 1/4 of cookie level for about an hour, I don't think I could stomach more than one bite. I find it odd because smoking the green is great, amazing even. Eating it plain (or semi-plain...) not so much. I'll definitely be going the butter method or the tincture method next. I just had to get them done rather quickly so I could bring them home to have with friends. My friend said it wasn't that bad. I disagreed promptly in multiple words. I told him "I love green, but this isn't my deal." Thank you for all the suggestions and I definitely will follow them in my next attempt, not sure when it will be, but I will. I'll have given myself more time as well. Hard candies sound good too if the taste isn't to dominant. I have 180% vodka that should do the trick for a tincture when the time comes.

#11 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

I have eaten brownies that had the plant matter added and I personally think they are grainy and disgusting and I didn't see a benefit over my butter recipe. I believe they may have just added the plant matter right to the mix with no simmering but I'm not sure. It was like eating a pile of raw weed in a dry brownie lol.

I hate to say it but I told you so....

Cooking the cannabis in butter also changes the chemical properties of THC (insert complicated chemical process jargon here) that makes it more edible for the mind and stomach as far as I can tell.

Better luck next time. If you want the recipe I use just ask, I'll post up the one I learned from and tell you the few short things I do a little different just to suit my needs at home. It's pretty simple to do but I would suggest having more than 7 grams if possible.

edited to say the hard candies i tried tasted almost exactly like a red hot or jolly rancher depending on the flavor. If there is ganja in there you will taste it but it wont be like eating that raw weed in a cookie, I promise...

#12 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

lol you have a right to say I told you so. I was crunched for time and felt brave enough to eat the raw weed. Also, on another thread someone actually said it has been the best method they've ever tried and they've baked green many times. Granted they were talking potency and not taste... So gross imo. Thanks though, I'll try again when the resources are more abundant : )

#13 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:32 AM

If you were to cook the raw weed into the butter and not strain it that may be a different story but in my opinion you lost some of the love by not simmering the the plant matter into the butter. The butter absorbs the goodies via the fat content and the chemical composition changes. Just like how if you smoke weed a lot you fail a piss test for ~30 days or so, because it's absorbed into your fat cells (metabolites etc. but same concept).

I understand time crunch. For sure. If I get off my ass one of these days I'll post my butter workings for the whole clan because my butter usually makes grown men forget they even ate a cookie and leaves them wondering what's going on :meditate:

I'll quit rambling lol

#14 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

I love that...all of a sudden you are super high and totally forgot you ate a cookie or brownie.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment ams, you are going to want to consume .6 or .8 minimum per dose...so 1/4 cookie won't be enough for any duration...a few more bites maybe. The higher your tolerance the more this will be. I need like 1.5 grams to get high from edibles....but I'm super wrecked on the couch for hours.

Gadgetguy and procell are referring to decarboxylation; Where the tetrahydrocannabinoic acid (THCA: non active chemical for humans) rapidly becomes an active form of THC...it's like speed curing the weed....releasing all the co2.

It is a side effect of cooking, and should have happened with or without the weed being pre-cooked. Dissolving the THC into a lipid (fat/butter/oil) will allow your body to more easily absorb it than digesting the plant matter. If you are thorough with your butter/oils there is no need to toss the weed in the food.

Edited by mate0x, 30 September 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#15 Tsering

Tsering

watching the grass grow

• OG VIP
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

I also told you so . . . first, lol.

Making budder the right way takes a little time and effort but the end result is amazing.

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

Here is one of my favorite recipes for eating cannabis:
https://mycotopia.ne...ana-recipe.html

I have made the kind granola MANY times over the years. It stores great in the freezer and covers both the taste and the grittiness of eating buds.

#17 Theodore Blass

Theodore Blass

On vacation

• Expired Member
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

My bad, left that part out...

I never had a problem with the taste but I nibble on nugs here and there anyways so yea...

Sorry guy!

#18 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

One of my favorite things about trimming - fresh stems to chew on.

#19 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

Here is one of my favorite recipes for eating cannabis:
https://mycotopia.ne...ana-recipe.html

I have made the kind granola MANY times over the years. It stores great in the freezer and covers both the taste and the grittiness of eating buds.

I could see that working fantastic in granola. When I ate brownies that had straight bud thrown in them the grit was awful, didn't even want to finish eating it. I should try to make some granola, that would make a great breakfast! Thanks for the link man.

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

I had way too much leaf one time I crumbled it up and used it on steak like I would if it was oregano, thyme etc. but just weed leaf this time fed a few people everyone loved it, the taste is very nice with meat maybe potatoes yumm. We BBQ the steak and it was still strong body buzz no pain that's for certain..... maybe Steak weed, mushrooms and onions instead of BBQ :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!