• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 Jawn

Jawn

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

Because they make things easier on people; at least, to the naked eye and in the short term.

Why have an all-natural tomato when you can have one that tastes the same and stays "fresh" and firm for exponentially longer? Makes 'em easier to ship, to stock, etc.

You can also introduce insect-repellent genes that will (again, at least for the short term) allow for bigger crop output.

It's not about mass in the US, it's about efficiency and cost-product ratio.

#22 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

But unfortunately, as you stated.. that "short term" outlook will end up screwing us in the end by creating "super" insects immune to said repellents, so on and so forth. Not to mention we don't know how these modified crops may be effecting our health... LONG TERM!!!! What good is short term when down the road we'll be assed out!

#23 Jawn

Jawn

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

What good is short term? Money.

The trick is to make enough money that if anything bad happens down the road, you can buy comfort for yourself when supply of necessities becomes limited.

#24 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

OK, well you're talking from a corporation's point of view, not societies at large.

#25 Jawn

Jawn

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

OK, well you're talking from a corporation's point of view, not societies at large.

Absolutely. The more I discover of the world around me, the more I realize how many people don't seem to have a moral compass or foresight.

On a more personal note, from an individual's point of view, a lot of what has been done in labs (at least initially) really was for the benefit of mankind (or at the very least because they thought it would benefit them, and it happened to be a good outlet for their curiosity at the time). It's easy to think, "what the hell were you doing?!", but think about it from the perspective of someone who doesn't know there will be huge ramifications for their actions. Why not design super-salmon that grow faster, or pes-resilient vegetables? Sometimes things seem a lot better at the beginning than they turn out to be.

Take Normal Borlaug who i mentioned earlier, and August West responded to. I've met the guy, and from every interaction I've had with him, interview I've seen with him, or papers/articles that he's written, the man was a model of doing what he could to help the world, and . I'm not saying what he did necessarily helped anyone in the long run, but a lot of what's been done hasn't been done because people ignored facts or didn't look far enough ahead; it was because what was ahead was the unknown.

#26 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

I'm not doubting that one bit. But again, intentions and reality are 2 very different things! Do you think Albert intended for his discovery to lead to nuclear holocausts in Japan???

#27 Herbaspore

Herbaspore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

So who accepts responsibility? Who ultimately is looking after your best interests? As those powers that be: establish your conduct through legal devices, directing marketplaces, and tinker with genetics, continue to bed with another, those long gone prophets may have truly saw the future, or at least help to direct the current reality.

A few articles of potential interest for those enlightened ones;

http://dprogram.net/...ed-in-7-points/
http://www.naturalne...nsanto_FDA.html
http://www.huffingto...g_n_425195.html
http://www.datensatz...oesnt-work.html
http://crooksandliar...mer-monsanto-vp
http://www.blacklist.../0/0/0/Y/M.html

#28 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

so i finally had some time to watch this film. sad world we live in isn't it folks. my conclusion would be were all fucked...

#29 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Because they make things easier on people; at least, to the naked eye and in the short term.

Why have an all-natural tomato when you can have one that tastes the same and stays "fresh" and firm for exponentially longer? Makes 'em easier to ship, to stock, etc.

You can also introduce insect-repellent genes that will (again, at least for the short term) allow for bigger crop output.

It's not about mass in the US, it's about efficiency and cost-product ratio.

i completely see your point of view on this. from a business stand point its smart. however, our entire society is do now think later. so we want things now, we have short tempers and tension spans. this all works in the favor for profit for sure.

i think hes just pointing out that aspect of it, whether anyone agrees with it or not. thats the entire point. profit creates cool things sometimes but harms at the same time. its sad, i don't agree in that respect but if all you want is profit its genius, its just i would hope that we would use these discoveries in a good way, unfortunately sometimes by the time the real testing has been done, its far too late to do anything about some of these cases across the globe.

i think the scariest thing about that documentary is that polluted town and that company that was polluting or could be still polluting the planet is now running genetics to take over the food supply.

great, the villains run our planet. yet another, im not surprised moment.
all be it, they are killing themselves as well, no one is immune to cancer. rich or poor, head of a corporation or kid in the small town, you can still get cancer.

#30 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

intro, .. versus monsanto

[Direct Link]

have harvest, will contaminate
  • OoBYCoO likes this

#31 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

suck it up ppl

this is the world we live in (obvious, i know, but sometimes ppl wallow in a dream world)

those ppl got peace prizes coz they were better than the alternatives. its a fact. we are creative and bloodthirsty

einstein and the rest were dumb as fuck to not think about building a bomb

somebody smarter than them definitely thought about it (another obvious statement.)

if "we" are going to tackle "them"

we have to be up to par. so,

become the ppl in charge, and give peace prizes for not using nukes

not "oh, i never meant for them to be used like that"

"oh im so sorry" "i should never have learned math" (someone else would have figured it out)

anyway, monsanto and gmo are here to stay

we have to make it so that they cannot claim a crop belongs to them

spread their genes into the wild

maybe one day they will own all plants

hehehe :)

police the world eh?

they can only sue so many ppl

maybe one day there will be a world supreme court adjudicating

monsanto vs. the world

as they claim royalties for every plant based product in global use at the time

i live for the day

#32 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

intro, .. versus monsanto

[Direct Link]

have harvest, will contaminate

Thanks!

#33 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,594 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

its not sueing people for using last years stored seeds i'm concerned about. If the farmer grows GMO seeds and signs a contract that is their beef. What does concern me is when these people hunt down their "property" illegally on other farmers lands, illegally, and they try to sue them even if there is no other evidence that they intentionally planted the seed, or were even aware that their crop had been pollinated by the GMO crop down the road.

#34 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

first we educate.
then we get on the upside of GMO BS.

hard core overgrow tactics on all plants, full spectrum.
bury monsanto in our harvest.

we can terraform it our way ,
or, their way.
no way their way!

#35 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

I watched the video
thank you
Phrased several replies from 'let's kill all of them' to 'really?'
I'll stick with the second response
REALLY? We are genuinely surprised at this behavior?

I thought this was so cute..
Newt Gingrich actually cried real tears in newscasts tonight. They're practicing their acting skills - must be very lucrative to occupy public office if he's willing to engage his feminine side on national TV.

#36 knowninvisibilities

knowninvisibilities

EthnoExplorer

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:51 AM

I find the most disturbing thing about having to eat GMO's (cant afford organic all the time, and cant grow all my food at the moment) a side from supporting the monstrosity corporation(s) (monsanto being a big mf'er and the og of fuckin shit up) is that the GMO's that are on the shelf are modified to be pesticide resistant which is simply awful and wrong, round-up ready...... monsanto's bigs are gov officials too, I dont nkow if things will ever change, being a vegetarian these things oncern me, it makes one feel there is no escape unless you grow 100% of your own food

#37 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

Insecticide producing, herbicide absorbing. I was once told, "you are what you eat".

#38 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Posted Image

The Corporation: Since the late 18th century American legal decision that the business corporation organizational model is legally a person, it has become a dominant economic, political and social force around the globe. This film takes an in-depth psychological examination of the organization model through various case studies. What the study illustrates is that in the its behaviour, this type of "person" typically acts like a dangerously destructive psychopath without conscience. Furthermore, we see the profound threat this psychopath has for our world and our future, but also how the people with courage, intelligence and determination can do to stop it.

http://www.hulu.com/...the-corporation

#39 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

http://articles.merc...20131_DNL_art_1

#40 OoBYCoO

OoBYCoO

Mycophage

• Expired Member