- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SilvrHairDevil

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I just love olives. I've never met an olive I didn't like.

I have a particular fondness for stuffed green manzanillas and I like them with martinis.

Notice I said "with" and not "in", because I've found that keeping them aside, allows me a sip of martini, then an olive, repeat as necessary.

Fortunately, I found some tiny shot glasses that hold about 2/3 oz, or I'd be blotto half the time. I call them Mini-Tinis.

1 part dry Martini Italian vermouth
4 parts Bombay Sapphire or Tanq gin

Combine (I use a water bottle) and place in freezer. If your freezer is cold enough, you get a Martini Squishy.

Serve in tiny glasses with olives back.

#2 eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

I hear ya. I like to get the black olives, dump them in a bowl, salt them and chow down. I love olives too.

#3 SilvrHairDevil

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Mash olives with Feta until stiff-ish coarse paste is formed.

Stuff uncooked rigatoni noodles (or other hollow noodle of choice) with mixture and arrange in one layer in casserole.

Cover generously with light tomato sauce, then a layer of Mozzarella.

Bake at 325° F until everything is bubbly and noodles are cooked.

Green or black olives can be used and the cheese can be varied, too.

#4 Defiance

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yum! My favorite place for olives is in the stuffing of an Italian muffaletta sandwich.

There are a lot of different recipes but it all comes down to an oily salad of chopped olives, herbs, garlic, olive oil and usually sun dried tomatoes soaking into a big loaf of Italian bread. Usually the sandwich is made of cured, sliced meats and provolone. The olive mixture is spread right on both sides of the loaf and the sandwich toppings are in the middle.

It's a great picnic meal since it gets better as it sits, the olive salad soaks into the bread and makes it soft and fragrant.

#5 Spliff

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

You know...I have been receiving jars of olives for birthday presents since I was a child, that is a testament to my love.

#6 ahiliya fernandes

ahiliya fernandes

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

The olive (Olea europaea, meaning "Oil from/of Europe") is a species of small tree in the family Oleaceae, native to the coastal areas of the eastern Mediterranean Basin (the adjoining coastal areas of southeastern Europe, western Asia and northern Africa) as well as northernIraq, and northern Iran at the south end of the Caspian Sea.Its fruit, also called the olive, is of major agricultural importance in the Mediterranean region as the source of olive oil. The tree and its fruit give its name to the plant family, which also includes species such as lilacs, jasmine, Forsythia and the true ash trees (Fraxinus). The word derives from Latin olīvawhich is cognate with the Greek (elaía) ultimately from Mycenaean Greek ("elaiva"), attested in Linear B syllabic script. The word 'oil' in multiple languages ultimately derives from the name of this tree and its fruit.

#7 Brendo

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

Olives & sea salt potato chips in the same mouthful are to die for =)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!