• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#21 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,965 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

There are a lot of folks doing good work with air pruning root pots (I was mostly plugging Rootmakers for the folks here in the USA). Your pots look almost identical to the RootBuilder II kits - no need to deal with importing stuff!

I predict that you will be genuinely surprised after harvest by the density of the root ball and the uniform development from the edge of the container to the center. If you cut dry root ball in half to do a cross section, they look really cool (especially if you have transplanted two or three times).

I prefer the rigid pots to the fabric because they are easier to clean up and reuse after harvest.

Good luck with your experiments!

#22 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, I guess I won't buy any more Smart Pots and will go all the way with Air Pots (I believe they are made in Scotland, btw).

The thing is, I don't repot a lot, only once, sometimes twice, as I usually have a fast turnover. In coir, growth is so fast anyways, that occupying a whole 7L container starting from a 1L pot might take as little as 5 days to a week !

So when starting from clones (seedlings are much much slower, but I don't count that as I only use fast growth techniques in bloom when the plants are already in 7L pots), I start them in rockwool cubes, then in 3-4 inches (7-10cm) pots with coir, and once the roots are nicely developped a few days to a week later, I repot them in 7L, veg them for another week and put them in the flowering room where they grow roots like mad for another 2 weeks before initiating flowering growth. And the pots are usually completely filled with roots, looks like the coir has been digested or something ;)

What I'm curious to watch, is the growth above the ground !

#23 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,965 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

Three container changes is two more than some growers do. Some folks will just throw a clone in the finishing pot as soon as it has roots. Or worse, just toss a seed straight into 3 gallons of media...

I do basically the same thing as you except I start in plugs instead of Rockwool. Then into small RootMakers and then into the 1 gallon squares. Moving from smaller to larger containers just as the plant becomes root bound makes for a much more robust root ball.

I like the "digested" reference! A good root ball reminds me a lot of a bulk substrate fully run with mycelia.

The main difference in above ground growth is that a smaller amount of media can support a lot more greenery without stressing the plant. They will also grow a little bit faster and use a little bit less nutrients.

#24 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

As pure coir already allows for a huge greenery to rootmass ratio, I'm guessing the main advantage I'll see is speed of "colonization" due to the added oxygenation from the sides of the pots combined with the roots pruning. In fact, 1 week after the transplant in Smart Pots, my NYCD indeed show a very impressive speed of growth. I am already convinced after only a week, mate :D
(And this pheno of NYCD is one of the fastest plant I even had the chance to grow, too !)

Thinking about it, it seems to promote side branching quite some too !

Yup, I'm a 100% root trimming pots convert :amazed:

#25 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Veg Room : (Jack Herer, A5 Haze, Panama/CBG, C99BX/Mosca, Cheeseberry Haze/Eskobar @ Sannie's Shop)

https://mycotopia.ne...=1&d=1320112599

The new doorway I made to win some space by opening a hatch on the outside instead of a door on the inside : (still have to install the hatch, though)

The new vert setup in bloom, halfway done as I'll hang another 600W above this one and have yet to reinstall my hydro setup :

(Strains are : NYCD Soma cut, C99BX, Sweet Skunk Breeder Steve cut, Amnesia Haze "Core" cut aka Super Silver Haze Shantibaba HTCC '98 cut, Khmer Gold.)

The NYCDs... I'm scared, as I've always set them in bloom much smaller than that, and they always stretch like mad :special:
Damn root trimming, it grows too fast now ;)

One can see here the advantages of the Air Pots/root trimming containers...
Very fast growth once roots have started to get trimmed (only takes a few days for the roots to reach the borders) : if not supplied with enough NPK nutes, leaves are made so fast they stay light green for a few days before they grow to their full size.
I have HUGE sun leaves on very short plants, but that's also due to the 400W HPS I'm using in veg.
[
MH are so less efficient that I don't use them anymore, it's a waste of electricity, pure and simple. I have noticed absolutely no ill effects by switching to HPS exclusively, only huge advantages. I'm starting to believe MH are just another commercial scam to make use buy more useless junk. They've been using HPS exclusively in Holland for some 30-40 years in their huge greenhouses, with tomatoes and cannabis. Oh and just show them some Advanced Nutrients products, they will laugh out loud at you : they pay something like 20 bucks for 100L NPK :D
]
Also you can notice the width of the stem, it has grown from spindly to more than 3/4 inch diameter in just 10 days :amazed:
The side branches have exploded, many are now taller than the apex (ok, I admit to a light FIM ;))
On this plant, you can see 3 smaller stems are the bottom, they will be cut for cloning. Most my caretakers just love the NYCD, and apart from a few select ones, won't even take a look at my other (more sativa) strains. I for one am a sucker for hazes, more specifically the Amnesia "Core" and all its crosses, and just won't smoke anything else, nowadays. I found my grâal many years ago, so I'm a happy smoker already. I don't despair in finding some other great hazes as well : I still have to make a big selection on the SSH sister plant, the Mango Haze, and I'd love to test also the other big haze line, found in Tom Hill's Haze and The Flying Dutchmen Hazes...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7804.JPG
  • DSC_7805.JPG
  • DSC_7806.JPG
  • DSC_7800.JPG
  • DSC_7803.JPG
  • DSC_7802.JPG
  • DSC_7801.JPG

Edited by SillyCone, 31 October 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#26 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,965 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

Nice friggin' post, man!

Beaucoup good information there...

Be *CAREFUL* with that bare vertical bulb. If you splash some water on it while it is hot it will explode! If a bulb ever does explode on you, look away from it and unplug the ballast ASAP...the outer jacket of HID bulbs blocks eye destroying UV rays.

Also - every 30 days or so - wipe the bulb with a clean paper towel (while the bulb is cool). A surprising amount of "gunk" will build up on a bare bulb...

#27 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hey BB, thanks for passing by :)

About bulbs and water, don't worry my friend, everything is under control. For now, I'm watering by hand, so no water will splash, and once the drippers are installed, no stress either then.

The whole room has been carefully designed to be fully waterproof at the bottom with thick pond liner, and all the electricity is fixed above 4 feet so in theory, electric current and water cannot meet.

Also, in order to explode a HPS bulb, you'd have to spray a good amount of cold water. A friend of mine (he's completely crazy, but we need some of those to do the stupid things we'd never care to test ourself ;)) has made some experiments by spraying water DIRECTLY on the 600W bulbs and nothing happened... If you ask me, that's another myth busted. Of course I'm talking accidental water spill, avoiding the socket and not dipping your lighten lamp into a bucket of near freezing glycerin ;)

Wiping the bulb with a clean cloth is great advice, and I'd add, wipe it right after you screwed it in the socket too, or even screw it by holding it in a cloth so you don't leave grease from your skin on it. That grease is the bulbs worst enemy, as it dries out by the heat and become opaque.

While we're on the maintenance subject, a very important aspect to take care of is the hydroponic system, especially in zones like mine where there's a lot of "calcaire" (sorry, don't know the word in english) in the tap water (the EC here is at 0.9 S !!!)
You may not notice it at first, but all the capilaries end up clogged and distribute gradually less and less water and eventually stop completely. I've lost quite some yield if not sometimes whole plants for not watching the drippers individually over the course of a few sessions...

Edited by SillyCone, 31 October 2011 - 11:53 PM.

• Guitardude likes this

#28 Guitardude

Guitardude

No Additional Ingredients

• Expired Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

I admire folks who master coco and hydro... Glad your posting here... u have an awesome set up bro... many folks out herein cali prefer coco cause its much cleaner than soil and can be brought into grows a lot stealthier than pallets of soil. It also can be reused from what I hear?
I am not sure what it is or how it can be eliminated...or if it even needs to be... but I can taste the coco in the finished product... I can tell when a bud has been grown in coco by its taste. BTW, I have had killer coco grown buds b4... nothing wrong with potency or the way plants grow in it... just a slight difference in most coco buds I have tasted compared to organic soil grown.
I do still see soil as the standard for high potency herbs....
if this were not true, peeps would not compare to soil. Most hydro folks or coco folks who are really good at it tell peeps, "It tastes as good as soil grown". If soil potency and flavor is the goal, why try to make hydro or coco taste like soil grown, if soil grown is not king of the buds... ? I like most good buds... but am a little concerned when it was grown with high potency nutes and suppliments.... not sure what I am smoking then.... I have seen the ash of a doob get black as night and hard as a rock...
I have a motto: if it needs to be flushed... it prolly shouldn't be in the medium... cause I gotta smoke that stuff....lol
It all comes down to personal preference and I can respect another's grow techniques... from what I read here bro... you are on it.... keep up the good work! I am sure u and your peeps appreciate what u do... happy growing man! reps to ya for such a good thread on coco... look forward to learning more about it...
Peace, Love and Light
GD

Attached Thumbnails

• agent orange 2.jpg
  • agent orange.jpg

• Pithead likes this

#29 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

I admire folks who master coco and hydro... Glad your posting here... u have an awesome set up bro... many folks out herein cali prefer coco cause its much cleaner than soil and can be brought into grows a lot stealthier than pallets of soil. It also can be reused from what I hear?

Thanks for the kind comments, man, much appreciated.
Indeed, coco can be reused, some do it up to 5 times. Usually, we get rid of it when it's been invaded too much by fungus gnats, a common plague for coir growers.

I am not sure what it is or how it can be eliminated...or if it even needs to be... but I can taste the coco in the finished product... I can tell when a bud has been grown in coco by its taste. BTW, I have had killer coco grown buds b4... nothing wrong with potency or the way plants grow in it... just a slight difference in most coco buds I have tasted compared to organic soil grown.
I do still see soil as the standard for high potency herbs....

I may sound full of it by saying so, but to me, that means you haven't tasted properly grown plants.
Or that your brain tricks you as it does to all of us : our first weeds are the best we ever smoked, if only we could taste it again, etc.
Or even that you're sensible to word of mouth, which can be a bitch when it comes to stopping those damn myths from living on...

if this were not true, peeps would not compare to soil. Most hydro folks or coco folks who are really good at it tell peeps, "It tastes as good as soil grown". If soil potency and flavor is the goal, why try to make hydro or coco taste like soil grown, if soil grown is not king of the buds... ?

I am sorry to point out there is no logic in this argument.
"If this were not true, peeps would not compare to ..." : if people would jump out the window, would you do it ? It is precisely because I'm opposed to this kind of sheep/mob mentality that I grow weed... I do not care about what most people think, they're idiots most of the time and only repeat what they hear without questioning or testing for themselves before judging.
I'm not trying to make my weed taste like "soil grown", I'm trying to help my weed express herself fully, independent of the media or technique used. EVERYONE that tasted my weed told me I redefined what weed should taste like in their mind. Most of them would rather quit smoking when I'm out of stock, rather than smoke "the usual". Granted, they don't buy their weed in Amsterdam, and local weed is really subpar.
Nothing personal, here, buddy, I'm just stating my own point of vue, not accusing you of anything.
But I just can't let go of another huge myth, this one HAS to go. I'll try to be more complete in my argumentation in the next paragraphs as I'll try to explain a few botanical facts to my fellow topians. Again nothing personal, I'm just taking the opportunity to pass a little knowledge around.

I like most good buds... but am a little concerned when it was grown with high potency nutes and suppliments.... not sure what I am smoking then.... I have seen the ash of a doob get black as night and hard as a rock...
I have a motto: if it needs to be flushed... it prolly shouldn't be in the medium... cause I gotta smoke that stuff....lol

I believe this is the heart of the misconception : you can't "taste" coco, or any "power nute".
Why ? Because plants do not use nutrients as "food" to build sugars and cellulose, but as catalysts in the chemical reaction taking place in the leaves called photosynthesis. Plants build their tissues with the carbon contained in the CO2 of the atmosphere.
Of course they also use a few atoms of macro and micro elements to build their cells, but that doesn't mean they will incorporate anything they find in the substrate that they don't need.

The flushes are needed to get rid of the accumulations of salts in the substrate, not to remove any "toxic" products !
Coir tends to fix/buffer salts (nutrients) quite fast, hence my flushing once every 3 weeks or so. With coir, you are effectively growing hydroponically, as the substrate contains 0 nutrients from the start, so nutrients are given with every watering. If you don't, your plants start yellowing in a matter of days, or even hours in the case of TAG (high pressure aeroponics, the most efficient system known to yours truly, but a nightmare to maintain).
With coir, if you don't flush from time to time, you will end up with an EC of up to 5 of 6 Siemens in the drain water !
While I've always been amazed to see how well cannabis copes with such amounts of accumulated salts, it certainly will allow the plant to produce chlorophyl in excess up to the end of her life, giving the "chemical bad taste" some people attribute wrongly to "unnatural and dangerous chemicals", or "hydro grown taste". More annoyingly, if you reuse that coir to repot young plants, they will most likely die very quickly from osmosis as they don't have a big enough roots and foliage network to cope with such high level of salts in the substrate.

The bad taste you get from badly grown hydro plants, isn't from any "high potency nutes" or any other weird and dangerous product from your imagination, but either from the strain/pheno itself, or from the chlorophyl that hasn't been broken down. Now this can be due to a few things, amongst them the overfertilization during the whole session (which is the number one reason why most bad growers have to flush at the end of their grow : they used far too much nutes all along), combined with poor drying and curing techniques.

It is essential to understand cannabis doesn't need as much nutrients as indicated on the bottle of our expensive hobby nutes. It's a bit like washing powder : they want you to use as much as they can, so you buy more of it, not giving a crap if your clothes get damaged, you get skin infections or allergies and badly pollute the environment. By learning to know what your plant needs at every stage of her growth, you end up using at times only minute amounts of nutrients (NPK) but plenty of organic additives to help the microlife thrive and help the plant in return... The more you know your plant, the less you boost her up, and the best she grows by herself... It's a ying/yang thing ;)

The only "stuff" given to the plant that you might smoke, is chemical warfare against pests using systemic products like Dicofol and many other fucked up shit that are sold all over the world to fight against insects that mutate anyways...
You might have understood by my tone that this kind of terrible bad karma shit doesn't come near my plants. I get rid of my pets (spider mites never leave me) by controlling room temperature and hygrometry and spraying a mix of kelp extract and fulvic acid under the leaves, and from time to time I also order some predators.

Now in order to be faithful to my full disclosure principle, I think my fellow americans and I are not talking about the same coir. Yours only seem to come in the form of compressed bricks, where ours (Western Europe) is mostly in expanded format, sold in 50L bags of different grain, or in slabs, and is of much better quality than bricked coir.

In conclusion, coco is the best substrate in my eyes, but is definitely more difficult to master than soil. It's one of the best hydroponic substrate as it allows for plenty of water/air exchange for the roots while being organic and thus allowing for development of micro-symbiotic life forms.
But using coir is no guarantee of a good end product : it is just a substrate. The quality of the weed is much more dependent on the grower than the teks he's using... But if you know what you're doing, coir is simply unbelievable, giving the best of both worlds : organic/bio farming and hydroponics efficiency.

Ok, now that I took all that out of my chest, let me present you my latest cannapr0n :D

The newly arrived : another Jack Herer (same pheno as the other 2), a Kali Mist, the Cheese 'Exodus cut', a Casey Jones, an AK47 and the recovering Cheeseberry Haze.
veg.JPG

The flowering room, and the pH/EC/Temp meter for the reservoir. Now those are clever engineers : the 7 segment led displays used are... green ! So they don't disrupt the night for the plants, but still allow humans to walk around the room with some light. Great idea, thanks Bluelab ! (I believe they are aussies)
PH_EC_Aziz.JPG

Overview of the plants in bloom since 11/1 :
sweet skunk and NYCD.jpg

And a few individual pics of some of the beauties.

First, the monstruous NYCD "Soma cut" :

NYCD1.jpg
They haven't started the stretch yet... Glups. But thanks to vertical lighting, they have won some 40-50cm headspace... I have trust in tha mighty NYCD :D

The infamous A5 Haze from Maastricht in Holland :
(1 week of 12/12, only 16 to go :p)
A5 Haze2.jpg

A beautiful Khmer Gold (cultivar from Cambodia, collected by Gypsy Nirvana for his "private" collection.)
She finishes in 13 weeks.
khmer3.JPG

C99BX (breeder: Mosca)
I've never grown a strain that was ready in less than 9-10 weeks, this should be done in 8... Almost 3 weeks less than NYCD !
C99BX2.JPG

One of the amazing works of Charlie Garcia, aka Kaiki, aka Cannabiogen, the Panama is a tri-cross between 2 old school Panamas (out of memory, the Panama 1978 and another one) mixed with an acclimatized Colombian to reduce flowering times but only using south american genetics. The result is a 10 weeker pure South American sativa... Kudos bro for at least 7 years of dedicated hard work.
Panama3.JPG

And last but not least, the Amnesia Haze "Core cut". Though I am seriously starting to doubt it... I'm more and more sure the friend that gave it to me just mixed it up with some Sweet Skunk... If true, it's a personal catastrophe but a business blessing, as such a huge Sweet Skunk should produce 2 to 3 times as much as my beloved Core cut...
Core_or_Sweet2.JPG

Wow, that was some serious updating, now I'm all tired and sleepy (or maybe it is 3 AM ;)) so I'll enjoy a nice spliff of the Core cut... bought in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago, as I'm out of stock for weeks now...

Cheeeeeerios,
Silly©One.

Attached Thumbnails

• khmer2.jpg
  • khmer1.jpg
  • Core_or_Sweet1.jpg
  • C99BX1.JPG
  • Panama2.JPG
  • A5 Haze1.JPG
  • NYCD2.jpg
  • NYCD3.JPG
  • NYCD4.jpg
  • hazy green stuff.jpg
  • HPSon.JPG
  • vert1.JPG
  • vert2.jpg

Edited by SillyCone, 07 November 2011 - 11:02 PM.

• Pithead likes this

#30 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Ok, bad news everyone, I had confirmation of what I feared : the Core is a Sweet Skunk...
At least it's going to be huge.

Ok, good news everyone, the friend who gave me those clones has 2 Core cuts in bloom at his place, so tonight I'll go there with a C99BX that he doesn't have to swap and come back with my beloved Core cut. Only thing is he doesn't have good growing/blooming conditions (he's growing next to the central heating system gas burner, temps are way too high - > 33°C, stunting growth and killing chemical potency of the THC) so I wonder if I can still reveg her in Air/Smart Pots for a boost before blooming again, only 3x the size...

#31 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Wow, 0 activity for days... I guess I went too strong :P

So if anyone is still interested before I get kicked out for my opinions (just kidding ;)), here are a few pics of the veg with the Cheese UK and a nice AK47, both went through my passion for bondage (only with cannabis, huh)
DSC_7835.JPG

Cheese UK aka Exodus Cut :
She's recovered very well from her previous home. She was growing in a horrible soil mix, really dirty with no aeration, her leaves were yellow and tiny. Since repotted in coco + Air Pot, she regained her nice dark green brilliant colour (a Cheese in good health has leaves that look like plastic) and the growth is explosive. Look at the side branching, it simply is unbelievable. Note that I removed tens of side shoots else she'd be totally congested and buds would definitely rot (she's so dense and sticky that botrytis loves her, even in controlled humidity environments)

DSC_7840.JPG

AK47 from Serious Seeds, the clone comes from the french community (selected by "100%THC"). It's my third try with that pheno/strain. First time was in 2006 in my greenhouse, but I lost my best friend that year and conditions were crazy (VERY high temps in july, huge rains in august/september) so I couldn't taste her properly. Second time was indoors in 2007 or 2008, but I was toying with gibberelic acid, cytokinines, Indole Butyric Acid and the likes at that time, and the AK47 received a few drops of a cocktail with mainly GA3... You can guess the result ? A plant 5 feet tall with stems so spindly they couldn't stand on their own. Needless to say, that plant couldn't support flowering and died. At least I know not to play with those chemicals directly, as it's too sensitive, but rather found natural methods to help the plant boost her metabolism, like root binding, root trimming pots, selective pruning and training or using organic nutes containing natural plant hormones like kelp extract. I also received some bloom elicitors from my growshop, as he trusts me to try those products for him.

They say, third time is the charm...
DSC_7844.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7842.JPG
  • DSC_7843.jpg
  • DSC_7841.JPG
  • DSC_7838.jpg
  • DSC_7839.JPG
  • DSC_7836.JPG

Edited by SillyCone, 13 November 2011 - 10:10 AM.

• Erkee likes this

#32 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Pic of the veg room for today.
Tomorrow, I shall rearrange the flowering room to accomodate for another HPS in vertical and put those around it : Cheese UK, Casey Jones, AK47, Cheeseberry Haze, Jack Herer and Kali Mist.
I also recovered my beloved Amnesia from a friend. She's already blooming but the poor thing is infested with spider mites, no leaf is intact. No way I'm putting her as is in my pristine flowering room. I'll spray her with IPA, as it's the most effective and safe product to use to get rid of the pests. The action is physical and not chemical, as the alcohol simply melts the suckers, so it leaves no trace in the plants as systemic products from chemical corporations (Bayer, etc.)

DSC_7845.JPG

Here's a few pics of the Casey Jones, again, grown in soil and repotted in Air Pot with coir. She was a bit slower than the Cheese and the AK47 to revive, but I've been told that pheno was quite productive so I guess she'll recover nicely in the next few days.
It's classical behaviour when recovering in a good substrate : the plant first grows roots like mad, and there's no apparent growth or evolution above the ground, but when the roots have grown enough to support efficient transport of water and nutrients, the leaves first start to migrate back some N so they become greener, then the apexes start growing again and generate fresh leaves. Once enough new leaves have been spawned, I usually remove the damaged old leaves, especially if there were infested with mites. In parallel, the stems start growing in diameter.

DSC_7849.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_7848.JPG
  • DSC_7846.JPG
  • DSC_7847.jpg

Edited by SillyCone, 13 November 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#33 Lilpilgrim

Lilpilgrim

Home Grown Green

• Expired Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

​Hi SillyCone, Great looking Grow! Can you tell me what the "IPA" is in,? "I'll spray her with IPA" I'm always looking for better ways of handling pests. I had a few soil gnats this last grow, I did not find them until about week seven or eight of flower. I didn't take any action against them, I just watched my girls closely, And Harvested as usual.
Only two of the seven girls had the gnats, As far as I could tell, and showed no outward signs of stress. I still have one girl in the flower room(Bubblelicious) and she has no gnats..
Do you ever re-use your soil? As of late, I have had to go with a Perpetual grow and soil is expensive($22.00 a bag FFOF)
Thank's for posting such a Great grow and information about your grow!!
Peace
Pilgrim

Edited by Lilpilgrim, 14 November 2011 - 06:22 AM.
font color

#34 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

Hi SillyCone, Great looking Grow!

Thanks ! I must admit I'm quite thrilled by the new teks (vertical lighting + root trimming.)
Of course, using proved genetics helps a lot :teeth:

Can you tell me what the "IPA" is in,? "I'll spray her with IPA" I'm always looking for better ways of handling pests.

I should have stated it in full, my bad. IPA stands for Iso Propyl Alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol. If you're not living in Belgium, it should be quite cheap (a few quids for a litre) and is much more effective than systemic products and natural ones like neem oil that really just stink your room out.
That I know of, it only works with spider mites, don't go spraying your plants with alcohol if you have gnats !
It is very important to mist the underside of the leaves thoroughly as the suckers... suck the life out of the plant hidden from the light and where the veins are. Alcohol will dehydrate your plant if you overdo it, so be sensible. You can also dip your clones in it for like 2 seconds.

I had a few soil gnats this last grow, I did not find them until about week seven or eight of flower. I didn't take any action against them, I just watched my girls closely, And Harvested as usual.
Only two of the seven girls had the gnats, As far as I could tell, and showed no outward signs of stress. I still have one girl in the flower room(Bubblelicious) and she has no gnats.

Don't worry too much about gnats. They don't damage the plants per se, they are more a nuisance to the grower than the plants in fact, as they die everywhere and get stuck on the THC glands... not very professional when you sell a kind bud, only for the smoker to find flies all over. It's proteinic, but nonetheless :teeth:
The only real health concern to the plants with gnats is their larvaes that feed on the roots. There are natural predators (nematodes I believe) to get rid of them, or some natural products to use with feeding water.

Do you ever re-use your soil? As of late, I have had to go with a Perpetual grow and soil is expensive($22.00 a bag FFOF)
Thank's for posting such a Great grow and information about your grow!!

Well, that's another advantage with coir, it can be cleaned (flushed) and reused, IMHE up to 3 or 4 times before it gets really used up or gnats have won the war. Don't ever do that with soil !
$22 is very expensive, I pay 6 to 8€ for 50L of Plagron/B'Cuzz/CANNA coir...
The problem with soil is it's completely imbalanced nutrients-wise after a plant has lived a full cycle in it. So if you add nutes to it, you never know how much you should use and end up overfeeding your plant by only giving water. I'm telling ya, coir is the future... and soil is the past.

I hope I could answer your question to the height of your expectance.

Cheeeeers,
Silly©One.
  • Lilpilgrim likes this

#35 Lilpilgrim

Lilpilgrim

Home Grown Green

• Expired Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

Yes, Thank's so much for the quick response! I will be making the 6 hour round trip for new/fresh soil.. OH and the Gnats, well my bud is only gifted to Family, or extended Family, Never sold for any reason. How could I ever put a price on something So Beautiful?

Peace

Pilgrim

#36 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

Yes, Thank's so much for the quick response! I will be making the 6 hour round trip for new/fresh soil.. OH and the Gnats, well my bud is only gifted to Family, or extended Family, Never sold for any reason. How could I ever put a price on something So Beautiful?

My point is even more valid as gnat flies disfigure your beautiful gifts ;)

Instead of fetching soil only, maybe you could try a bit of coir ? If you don't have the equipment to go full coir (pH and TDS meters, a full range of nutrients and the dedication to learn new cultivation techniques), you can use it as a soil additive instead of perlite for example, which gets dirty very quick and tends to "float" on top of the substrate. Coir has a great drainage capacity that soil lacks on his own.

BTW, love your sig !

#37 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

I moved the first 2 tables back, added a third table and HPS on top. I still have to get another fan.

This is going to be E-P-I-C.

DSC_7851.JPG

DSC_7850.jpg

DSC_7852.JPG

DSC_7853.JPG

#38 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hello again... If anyone still follows, please join in...

Ok so... I got infected by tarsonemes... It's the worst pests I've ever encountered, as I still have no clue how they work and are still pretty much undetectable till it's too late. Even weirder than my first attack, which cost me my entire grow at the time (veg+flo), only 3 had to be killed, 2 Jacks and 1 C99. I've spotted tarsos on most of the other plants, but they don't seem to be affected...

I'll post pics once I sorted them out.

Guess what I received from my friend ?
The Jack F1 I pictured earlier (the purple one) :D
But she's not alone, there's also the Jack Candy, Jack'O'Nesia, Lavender and Sour Diebbel (Sour Diesel x Bubblegum or Sour Buggle, couldn't find any info on it on Google or even ICmag for now.)

Edited by SillyCone, 28 November 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#39 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,577 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

Did the pests come from your friend?

Hopefully not and you got some awesome gifts :)

And yea, deff will be E-P-I-C, can't wait to see the harvest.

What will you do with all your trim? I am going to BHO all of mine I think

#40 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,846 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hey mate0x, thanks for chimin' in :)

Yes, the tarsos came from my friend, with the second batch of cuts.
First batch was 2xNYCD, 2x Sweet Skunk, Khmer Gold, Amnesia "Core".
Second batch was 3x C99, 3x Jack Herer, A5 Haze.
Third batch was Cheese UK, AK47, Casey Jones and Kali Mist.
Those are all in bloom as you'll see in my next post (pix pr0n :D)

Last batch is Jack Candy, Jack'O'Nesia, Jack F1, Lavender and Sour Diebbel but I'll have to harvest at least the C99s, Panama and NYCD to make some room in bloom... As I said, even with 3 plants less, I got buds from everywhere, soon I won't even be able to enter the room at all...

I believe sat doms to be more adapted to the stacked vertical HPS lighting, as they stretch much more. So the following strains in my space seem particularly happy : A5 Haze, Sweet Skunk (SPG x NL#5Haze), Jacks ((NL#5 x Haze) / (Skunk x Haze C)), Kali Mist (a haze from Breeder Simon), Panama, NYCD, Casey Jones and of course the Amnesia (= SSH = same pedigree as Sensi's Jack Herer, as Sensi used all Neville's males when they bought the Cannabis Castle... bastards).
Polyhybrids tends to grow much bushier and less tall, somehow naturally SOGging themselves. Maybe it could be a good idea to try using a custom built parabolic reflector on the single vertical HPS above the following strains : Cheese UK (afghan leaning pheno of Skunk #1), AK47, Cheeseberry Haze (she's only got haze in her name)

What do you mean with BHO ?
I always use my trim to make ice-o, I recently got the Bubbleator (from http://www.pollinator.nl/), making it oh so much easier and much less messy. I've been lurking on dry-ice too, but haven't found a cheap source yet (haven't looked much tbh.)

Edited by SillyCone, 28 November 2011 - 08:55 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!