• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

Yerba Mate gets me through school really well. drink it strong, and you'd think you put on a jet pack that morning.

I'm a big fan of Yerba Mate. I love coffee though so have not been sticking to Yerba Mate as of the past year or so.

#22 lady_tractor

lady_tractor

lotus blossom

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:43 AM

I recently dropped a Red Bull addiction. My SO and I were spending damn near $20 a day on them. I still love coffee though.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#23 Ilia

Ilia

mycophILIAc

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

Add regular exercise to your routine. Boosts energy levels and allows you to go to sleep sooner so you get more rest. Really just helps the whole body balance it's energy levels and makes life longer and happier :). With good exercise and diet one doesn't even feel the need for coffee in the morning.

#24 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,260 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hey, great advice. I almost forgot about this thread. I'll check out Yerba Mate. I work night and get my share of exercise so i'm usually running on either coffee, an energy drink, or something. I started to bring one of those big (here's where my short term memory failed) erm, Gatorade bottles, almost 2 liters but water instead of Gatorade. I usually go to that and drink more water if I have it near where I'm working. And in fact that has given me more incentive to drink pure water and shun those nasty energy drinks.
I've been hooked on Red bull, then full throttle, then Amp, then it was back to red bull because I'd get tired of one taste and crave another. I bought one tonight - usually when I go to the store to get food its that urge to just throw one in on the way thru checkout. Its literally like speed in a can. I think I get a sort of high off it. But I like coffee and my cigs too. When other people at work have those cans of rockstar or whatever open and near me I can smell the distinct smell of the drink I know all too well. Once on mushrooms I came to a realization of how evil those energy drinks are but that was forgotten once I had been sobered up for awhile. I am seriously going to make more of an effort to kick these drinks. And I agree that those cans are "pretty" and that color just seems like it draws you into it. I'll try eating an apple every morning or when I wake up. Maybe get a coffee maker and try and drink a cup of coffee because then I won't really have the urge for one of those drinks. Thanks for the encouragement. I am one step closer to becoming energy drink free! I think only once I drank four energy drinks in one day and almost careened off the highway into an overpass support structure on my way back from a concert. I was trying to stay awake with no success. Luckily I got back but I've never gone over about two energy drinks in one day because I just think that would be bad. One girl I talked to said she used to drink six a day and she would pass out. I would say that she had little self control if she was drinking six a day.

Peace & Love
To

#25 lady_tractor

lady_tractor

lotus blossom

• Expired Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Taking a B vitamin supplement will also help you to maintain energy levels throughout the day. Most energy drinks contain B12. When I quit drinking Red Bull, these really gave me an energy boost compared to plain ol' coffee, which you come down from relatively soon. If I take one and then drink my coffee, it is almost too much for me at once. I'll end up cleaning my house like a tweeker, lol.

Also, drink plenty of water. Can't stress this enough.

Edited by lady_tractor, 05 December 2011 - 01:18 PM.

#26 Dinix

Dinix

Feeding the Ouroboros

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

I'm a recovering addict myself... I used to buy 2 of the 20oz red bulls in a day or the 5-hour energy shots, or some other brand. I eventually gave them up due to financial reasons. (having a kid makes you re-evaluate what's important in life) The process is intense, and about as hard as tobacco (which i've kicked also). They get you hooked on caffeine, taurine, sugar (carbohydrates), and the hidden addiction CONVENIENCE. All this combined makes for a really miserable withdraw.. but I couldn't just drop it all. I would get really bad headaches, and a general do-less attitude if i went without. Mate is nice, but I felt like it just didn't hit on the right neural circuits to stave off the withdraw. Whatever you do, stay away from the little white caffeine pills. It's some kind of lab produced synthetic delivery system that feels way too tweeky and has a bad comedown. Coffee is the only viable alternative I have found. It's an organic delivery system, and coffee as a whole has good anti-oxidants and anti-cancer properties. I've realized that caffeine isn't that bad of a problem in moderation, it's all that other crap in volume that makes e-drinks so bad. It's been 6 months, and I still drink some coffee in the morning to avoid a headache, and kick myself into gear. However, I brew it light (like a tea) and don't add sugar or cream.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#27 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

In the wintertime taking a vitamin D supplement also helps, as our bodies are not making enough naturally and this can really effect energy levels.

#28 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,260 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'll probably end up quitting energy drinks for financial stress. That's more than $60 a month if I drink one can per day. I am still having the urge to get an e-drink but now that I have no cash on hand its hard to get one. H20 is doing me good. Thanks again for the encouragement. We can defeat this a day at a time.

#29 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,260 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

I've found something that works for my energy drink addiction.

Drink coffee. I have almost no urge to buy energy drinks anymore if I brew and drink my own coffee. I bought a coffee maker and some coffee and have been brewing my own coffee for awhile and it's helped me save money and leave these drinks alone. Hell yeah!

#30 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,571 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I've found something that works for my energy drink addiction.

Drink coffee. I have almost no urge to buy energy drinks anymore if I brew and drink my own coffee. I bought a coffee maker and some coffee and have been brewing my own coffee for awhile and it's helped me save money and leave these drinks alone. Hell yeah!

Careful there TheObserver, coffee can be every bit as addictive as energy drinks. Try to limit your coffee consumption so you don't replace one with another. I love my coffee but only have two cups in the morning.
Skywatcher

#31 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Try making ginseng tea and mixing it with ginger ale or something bubbly? Ween yourself that way?
?

#32 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

those things are banned at my house.
they kill the pot buzz.

#33 neo Figment

neo Figment

(evo)figment **OG**

• Expired Member
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Everything in moderation friends.

Monster Rehabs. Like 20 calories and they have
Arnold Palmer flavor.

#34 Bubasti

Bubasti

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

I quit energy drinks altogether and diet soda. I lost 27 lbs when I did and my hair started to grow back in much more thick. I now own a juicer and drink that with dragon well green tea ad I have more energy than ever.

#35 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,260 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=Bubasti;1133565]I quit energy drinks altogether and diet soda. I lost 27 lbs when I did and my hair started to grow back in much more thick. I now own a juicer and drink that with dragon well green tea ad I have more energy than ever.[/QUOTE]

I love that Bubasti, I want to get a juicer. I grew up with my Mom making juices so we had every conceivable type of green juice - apples, carrots, green leafy veggies. I miss that, I used to have alot of energy when I drank those juices.

You're right skywatcher - I drink about one plastic coffee mug a day now which holds around 3 cups.

[QUOTE]those things are banned at my house.
they kill the pot buzz.[/QUOTE]

Very smart Anne,
Best decision ever!
They do kill pot buzz, but coffee enhances my high!

[QUOTE]Try making ginseng tea and mixing it with ginger ale or something bubbly? Ween yourself that way?
? [/QUOTE]

I really like this, I will definitely try it. Coffee makers are great for heating up water!
That's primarily what they are used for anyways. ginger ale n' ginseng, Mmmm! Tasty!

[QUOTE]Everything in moderation friends.

Monster Rehabs. Like 20 calories and they have
Arnold Palmer flavor. [/QUOTE]

Where do I find Monster Rehabs? I've never even heard of them. Whats Arnold Palmer? Excuse me for my ignorance.
Definitely. Moderation is key for sure.

juicing 002.jpg My Mom had this type of champion Juicer for 30 yrs. Finally it bit the dust but it was a good one.

#36 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,571 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Whats Arnold Palmer? Excuse me for my ignorance.

An Arnold Palmer is a 50/50 mix of iced tea and lemonade. It's not ignorance to ask what you don't know. Ignorance is refusing to ask.
Skywatcher

#37 Martin5657

Martin5657

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

Hello friends,..
All the posts very informational about the importance of the energy drinks.Mostly people dislike
the energy drinks because they thinking its not good for health.But i like the energy drinks because
its giving me good nutrition and energy.So i like it.

#38 Norris

Norris

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

It will be better for all of you to drink fresh fruits juices as energy drinks because they provide rich amount of real energy for longer period of time. I always prefer to fresh fruits juices during my workout or after workout to get enough amount of energy. My favorite fruits juices are apple, orange, grapefruit, and grape juices.

#39 hopethishelps

hopethishelps

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

I agree with you Norris.
But I take it one step further.
In my youth I used to drink up to 4 liters of MD a day.
But as I got older it just didn't give me the energy anymore.
So I studied it and found that fresh juice might be the answer.
But if you buy them in the store they aren't fresh or just juice.
So I got a Juicer.
That didn't work out because I was throwing away a lot of pulp.
The juice from fruits and vegies were delicious but still expensive.
Recently I got a Kindle book on juicing.
It explains about blenders, juicers and emulsifiers.
Blenders just mix and juicers leave pulp but the juice is great for healing.
The book recommended emulsifiers since you get both the juice and the fiber.
But you can get a lot more of both since you are drinking it.
I found a deal on the Ninja 1100 at my local SAMS and got it to check out.
Now, 10 pounds lighter (not the intent) and with a lot more energy, I would say this is the way to go.
I have a couple of sports bottles I fill each day and keep with me to drink out of.
I also eat "regular" food but just not as much as I used to.
And my body is getting more of the vitamins, minerals and enzymes it needs.
It may be a way if someone wants to go vegan as well.
Just add prepared beans to the mix and you have a source of protein that your body needs.

#40 Quixtus

Quixtus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Funny! Dead thread, resurrected by discussion of health foods. ;)
By n00bs. Like me. :D

Anyhoo, my lovely female counterpart picked up a MagicBullet and we are now in smoothy hell; lots of juices, etc. She's drooling over the NutriBullet next; it's an emulsifier like the Ninja systems.

As for me, I quit energy drinks because their freaking expensive!
Instead: 1 JetAlert caplet + 1 B-100 Tablet = GACKED! Well, if it doesn't do the trick, I have some DMAA, as well. That shit is KICKIN'!

Oh yeh, JetAlert is mentioned specifically because it costs about 2-3 cents a tab, and the B-100s are about the same, if you buy them at Wally World. I know we aren't supposed to discuss sources, but they're OTC even if they get you tweakin'. For a nickel. Yeah, a nickel COIN!

Okay, have fun! :D

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!