• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

So...I decided on my aquaponic system being a NFT style. As I'll be growing leafy greens...this should suffice. So...I looked up "how to build an NFT system"...and found some great info. However...I'm having trouble finding pictures or video....or anything....that really shows how the water gets into the growth channel. What I do see in images...looks like spaghetti drip like tubing...very small diameter. Is this correct? I'm used to moving large volumes of water for hydroponics....this seems counter intuitive...and....would moving a larger volume faster be better for the plants?

#2 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

The NFT systems I have seen use copious amounts of water and only the roots are exposed to the channel...medium is solely to support the plant.

image002.jpg

Unless you are using a drain to waste system, I do not think the speed of nutrient water flow is important...the goal is to have less than 1/4" of water in the channel uniformly...the advantages of this system are not clear to me though.

Just my .02

I am curious why you are going this route? What peaked your interest?

Edited by mate0x, 10 November 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#3 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

the reason I chose this setup is.....it will be sitting on top of my fish tank. Little volume of water means little drop in tank volume. It will be recirculated back to the tank. Greens grow really really good like this. Once it's up and going I'll post a few pics of what I'm doing....

#4 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

Awesome please do! A friend of mine is interested also, he grows plants floating in his fish tanks, but not edible greens...just like aesthetic stuff

#5 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

Any further thoughts on this? I seek to grow some vegetables indoors over the winter, just for kicks. Probably doing peppers in an ebb/flow table, something simple to start.

I would love to see the fish tank setup, all I need is an excuse to get one back up and running :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!