• wildedibles likes this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

:) I have been looking I find a ton of pan foes ;) nothing magic well I wouldnt say that my Fav Amanita is magic in healing https://mycotopia.ne...-daily-log.html

I have found many medicinal and edible mushrooms since being here at Mycotopia and have the guts to try and eat some that I have really studied for a long time

#23 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Heya Wildediibles sweet mama, I just had a piece of chaga drop into my hands yesterday. Came on here to research it, and here you are beautiful lady. Sky's earlier post is right you know, since he called first I get second. I guess your hubby will had to be third. :biggrin:

Did you find any other ways of extraction besides crock-pot?

Thank you :hug:

• wildedibles likes this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

:) Thanks sweetie ...You can cook it in a regular pot too on simmer ....when it is reduced to half pull 3 -4 times and you will have all the tea out of it ..... you can combine the 3-4 half pots and drink this tea I keep it in a a couple of mason jars and add it to my coffee but I am thinking about using it as a coffee substitute with chocolate of course ;)

You can also preserve it in alcohol as a tincture one of my friends did this with the piece I found for them they love it this way using a little when needed to ward off the cold flu to boost your immune system

with my allergies acting up I stopped using this mushroom for a bit but I think I seen that it was good for allergies too so I think I am gonna give it a try again see if it helps or not ???

Maybe this time I will cook this up on the wood stove and take pictures just for you Angel :) XOXOXOXOX

gallery_121976_1444_27591.jpg

Chaga it looks like it is growing back really really slowly I have only seen it grow back on this tree after harvesting lots ....if the tree is still living and only remove some not all of it looks like it might have a chance to grow back????

post-43555-138194122246.jpg

I think this was when I took the first one off and the first picture above there is it this last summer

I have made an album with this mushroom here

https://mycotopia.ne...notus-obliquus/

ok this explains it more this is the mushroom with just one tiny piece gone

gallery_43555_766_1384988240_244940.jpg

I cannot make the date out but I think this is the first one that I ever harvested so about when this thread started aprox anyway

gallery_43555_766_1384988269_213716.jpg

top view on how wide this one is

side view kinda looks like a dog but the top picture shows the hiding dog even better :) lol

gallery_43555_766_1384988269_213717.jpg

I think this is a view of the wide piece missing looks less wide this one came off in 3 chunks

gallery_43555_766_1384988269_245321.jpg

This one mane is even bigger than the first one when I seen it I havent seen any in a while so I collected half of it ...then a friend wanted a piece so I picked the other one but there is still a piece left on the tree

you can get multiple chunks off a big one I try and leave something behind for others to see or collect or for the Nature of it ;)

First I had to look for a rock cause I didnt bring a hatchet it was harder in this spot than I thought it would be to find a rock lol but found one then balance on this long and well it doesnt look like it but there is a hill down to that crick there and I didnt wanna fall off this log lol ;) it was worth the effort tho :)

gallery_121976_766_64786.jpg

gallery_121976_766_80161.jpg

gallery_121976_766_116918.jpg

Edited by wildedibles, 04 February 2015 - 03:15 PM.

• warriorsoul, Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#25 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:28 AM

IMG_1310.JPG

I finished reducing this first pot to half and then it fit in a big mason jar

Then I used a bigger pot and reduced that by half and added #1 pot that is now in the mason jar into the 2nd reduced pot to reduce to half again

Now I am filling the pot again to reduce a 3rd time this one is huge so I might get more pulls out of it cause it is still very dark black ..when you place some on a plate you will see a yellow color to it too  ;)

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

I found more pictures I am soooo disorganized.....this is the second piece taken off the other part is still on the tree

gallery_121976_1444_249936.jpg

Usually you just see the yellow part but I think this one broke a little deeper than normal?

gallery_121976_1444_245310.jpg

gallery_121976_1444_76251.jpg

I will check this year and see how it has changed it should turn black again from what I have seen so far...

gallery_121976_1444_201888.jpg

gallery_121976_1444_198569.jpg

A little lop sided now oops this is a big one ...

• Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#27 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

I collected this mushroom in late summer a few weeks ago and made some tea but it wsnt the same as it was from a winter batch?? I got sick with the flu and I am just finishig the tea now about 2 1/2 weeks drinking it or so.....the flu is not really bad the kids went back to school and got sick but its stomach sick and a cold stuck together and tired everyone has same symptoms ....mine at times feels not as bad as kids had it but tired and drawn out after caring for the kids sick they are all better now so I should be all better in few days

this has me thinking tho ?? why isnt it as strong even the tea seems not as strong in flavor even tho its a strong batch of tea??

Im thinking the leaves were still on the trees maybe some medicinals are in the leaves and when the leaves fall in the fall the lines freze and the leaf will not get water or make anymore sugar for the tree right?

so maybe the tree cutting off life from the leaves they all fall and the nutes that were going to ad from the leaves and tree is now just in the tree and possibly any mushrooms growing from the tree??

now with this mushroom being good for the tree how would it help the tree grow better?? maybe protect it with substances to ward off other mushrooms that could kill the tree??
maybe the yellow in this tea comes from or is connected to the yellow the leaves take on before they fall from the tree??

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

Digging up info about how this mmushroom grows has been interesting ;) This link clears it all up :)
https://oriveda.word...haga-the-facts/

"Definition of Chaga

What we call ‘Chaga’ is the dense black mass (25-40 cm large) that can be seen on the outside of trees (almost exclusively birches) infected with the fungus Inonotus obliquus. It is not a fruiting body (meant for spreading spores, the final stage in the life of many mushrooms) but a dense sterile mass of mycelia, with decayed bits of birch tissue incorporated. When chopped from the tree the interior has a rusty yellow-brown color, somewhat granular in appearance, and is often mottled with whitish or cream-colored veins. The hard, deeply cracked black outside of the Chaga is called the sclerotium.

Typically, well-developed Chaga sclerotia are found on trees over 40 years of age, but the infection starts earlier. The period from initial infection to tree death varies with the number of infection sites and tree resistance, but is typically around 20 years. After about 3-5 years the Chaga can be harvested. After harvesting, chaga can regrow to harvestable size again in three to ten years, and this can be repeated until the tree dies. Chopping off the Chaga does not stop the infection."

I cannot explain it better than that .....from what I observe in the woods this makes more sense than anything else I have read
I will add tho that the trees that have chaga on them do not have honey mushrooms on them .......the birch logs on the ground that have honeys all over them or standing with honeys all over them are dead but these logs have no chaga on them ever

I have seen a few logs with chaga on them old stuff its not yellow all black and crumbly the log is on the ground and decaying but I need to check if any of these grow honey mushrooms ??

Chaga grows only on alive trees ....the trees defence system will try and fight it off ....Chaga fights this defence but not to the point of killing the tree quickly because this stuff takes a long time to grow and eventually kill the tree .......its this where I ask is mother nature repeating herself?...a look into our own immune system....we need to keep in mind this is not a mushroom

#29 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

[Direct Link]

an outlook from a medical engineer very interesting perspective on the celular level
very informative
....I think they took many research studies and papers and discussed the simularitys they found in the old studies :)

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:20 AM

Here's our video on our harvesting adventure this year...

[Direct Link]

I found a super easy way to steep this mushroom... when I have supper in the oven I put a pot of water on the back burner that has the oven vent under it... Don't turn it on... Put the chaga in it and steep... Fill with water and repeat... I use a hand size chunk or smaller... If u have an oven with out a vent just simmer do not boil and it will be perfect... I add as much chaga tea to my coffee as I would cream... A few a day is all good.... U can replace coffee with this tea but I like my coffee too much so mixing it is good for me

Also it doesn't mold if it stays under the water and the tea stores well too... I've kept it in a jar for months without it going bad

I'm looking into fermenting everything so I will try to ferment it with molasses or maple syrup sounds yummy

Edited by wildedibles, 18 November 2019 - 09:24 AM.

• Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#31 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:29 AM

Here's a peek at the chaga tree

[Direct Link]

Here is the hoof fungi dropping spores

[Direct Link]