36 replies to this topic

#1 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

My wife and I are considering buying raw cows milk from a local farm for us and the kids. It's not sold in the stores in our state and there's a lot of propoganda out there stating how dangerous raw milk can be, especially for children. If you have them, please share your thoughts or experiences.

#2 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

annie would strongly recommend against it.

#3 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

nothing like raw milk - and its rich silky flavour.
yum! difference is like calling soy-milk milk.

drank it for a couple of years exclusively
whole family appreciated the taste
no health problems.
supply dried up when farmer sold his quota.
even after frozen tasted great.

dairy farmers usually highly prefer to drink their own and are still 'allowed' - but i don't think that would stop them either really.

funny thing: people who work in processed food plants stop eating the products they make.. gets so they can't stand the taste
but farmers never stop taking the fresh produce.

processing hollows out the food, imo

Edited by Erkee, 20 November 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#4 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

Care to elaborate?

#5 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

I am also curious as to why you would recommend against it Anne...
http://www.raw-milk-...h_benefits.html

#6 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

disease potential and lack of accountability in the supply chain.

team annie opts for max food safety.

#7 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,645 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

raw milk is very beneficial to our bodies. it has a lot more nutrients than pasteurized or homogenized milk. if you can check out the dairy and see their milking procedures. make sure their equipment is clean and they are using proper handling procedures.
you can also pasteurize the milk yourself. i used to when i milked my goat. heat the milk up to i believe over 120 degrees but its been a couple years since i did it. i would at least do this for the babies. they have weaker immune systems. once your bodies get used to the nutrients of the raw milk you arent gonna want to buy from the store ever again!
wish my damn goat would produce at least a glass of milk a day w/o having to get her impregnated. i sure miss her rich milk. first year i milked her i think i gained 10 pounds drinking hot coco damn near every night for 3 months! last year when she had the twins she wouldnt let me touch her at all and i got tired of wrestling a goat every day just for a cup of milk so i gave up.
but raw milk does have so much more nutritional value and is well worth it if you can get it.

#8 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

There is evidence that the process of homogenization may not only take all the nutrition out of milk but may also be detrimental to health. I may be a little thick but I don't understand the point of taking all the natural nutrition out of something then adding it back in with supplements:eusa_thin

#9 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Raw milk definitely tastes better, and years ago that's only kind the family drank when we lived hear a dairy farm. As far as health benefits are concerned, I think they're minimal when considered along with all the other stuff we eat and drink.

There are definitely health risks to raw vs. pasteurized milk. Raw milk can harbor some nasty diseases. But how prevalent they actually are in the milk, and in raw-milk drinkers, I don't know. Pasteurized milk can have contaminants too if it's not handled properly after processing.

If you're generally healthy, most of the diseases won't cause worse than a few hours or days of poop 'n' puke, if that. A good immune system can handle a lot. Listeriosis can lead to meningitis, brain damage and death in a few cases, but it's usually in the very young, very old and those with compromised immune systems. Tuberculosis is another (remote) possibility.

Deli meats can carry nasties, too. Poultry. Fresh veggies. There are risks everywhere.:eusa_thin It's all in which ones you choose to take and what you avoid.

If the farm's nice and clean and the milk is handled well, I think the risks are minimal. Especially if it's an organic farm and they don't use antibiotics. Check it out.

Personally, I'll stick with the pasteurized milk from an antibiotic-free dairy. On the other hand, if all I had around was raw, I wouldn't refuse to drink it.

Edit: All that said, I really don't see anything wrong with going with the fresh milk. I just tend to overthink things.:special:

#10 ernestro

ernestro

minding matter

• Expired Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

yeah,.. anti-biotics and growth hormones.

the bacterial count in raw milk (when i do, i drinkk it fresh, np) doesn't threat your intestinal flora, if the flora itself is healthy enough, as experienced by many. i'd rather have some bacteria, than a sterile white bunk fluid with little value.

throw some kefir grains in and you're up to a very healthy feast (also i think kefir reduces the number count of eschericia colli or how it's ritten(=! you can tell the grains like it much better! and so does the cat.

Edited by ernestro, 25 February 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#11 ernestro

ernestro

minding matter

• Expired Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

disease potential and lack of accountability in the supply chain.

team annie opts for max food safety.

that's what makes local-er distribution so well-commen, if the milk-farm-people hand you the milk with a handshake, and drink it themselves...

i really don't think industrially produced food is so safe, in the least case, it contains much less vitality to soup up.
the local supply chains must continue (re?)evolving....you've got all the accountability there you want..almost digital true false?
care care care
take
  • Erkee likes this

#12 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

The bacteria in whole milk don't threaten you intestinal flora, as a matter of fact whole milk contains lactobacillus etc. It's the bad stuff such as e. coli that can cause problems.

When it comes right down to it, milk's not that great for you anyway, especially if you're an adult.

A lot of what's said about the good health effects of raw milk relates to pasteurization killing off the probiotics. It's not much of an issue, though, since as stated a yogurt culture can be added, or just take a probiotic if you're trying to keep down a c. diff infection or whatever.

#13 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Local food production's a good thing and it's getting more common again, but just because you share a glass of milk and a handshake with the dairy farmer doesn't necessarily mean you won't get sick from it.

I'll grant that industrially produced food has some problems, i.e. possible antibiotics in meat, GMO crap, some not-so-cool additives etc. but in general it's not bad stuff. Nutritionally it's just fine. Most of the real problems, as few as they are, are from - you guessed it - bacterial contamination. Hell, I still buy my shucked clams illegally from the guy down the road but I'm aware that I'm taking my chances.

I'm not sure what you mean by "less vitality to soup up."

#14 Fakeman

Fakeman

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

I have some relatives who are friends of this farmer:

http://news.national...year-probation/

I hadn't been keeping up on the details of the case lately, but basically he has been fighting for years to be able to distribute raw milk. His business model was to sell shares in the cows so that the people receiving the milk would be consuming milk from cows they 'owned', bypassing the regulations that prohibit the sale of raw milk in Canada. It's crazy how much money has been spent trying to get him in trouble, but from what I understand he has has been representing himself in court through the whole thing so his legal costs are basically just his own time.

#15 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

being close to a farmer
is integral to quality produce,
contributions mutually engaging

#16 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

i started thinking about all this.
ive been around the world 3x times

ive been to places with lawless milk
i just cant see the boon to humanity.

healthy cows and milk "straight off the vine",
is appealing, and, in theory safe.

having been to areas of lawless milk.
ya learn to avoid dairy.........

#17 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

You would.
I would NEVER trust any kind of "gov't origination" when it comes to
any kind of ANIMAL PROTEIN. In the terms of nutrients, organic milk has some; treated
milk has nothing in it but empty solids and white blood cells.

Nonetheless though, any kind of animal protein should be limited in ones diet.

#18 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm curious about your source of information regarding the total worthlessness of pasteurized milk. Yes, some nutrients are lost or reduced and the good ol' lactobacillus bacteria are killed off. Generally, milk isn't the only source of nutrition. A partial decrease in food value isn't going to make any percievable difference in overall nutrition.

I only go through a gallon or two of milk in a year, and most of that's used in cooking or heated for a cup of hot chocolate. I don't seem to have any symptoms of nutritional deficiencies and my intestinal flora are just fine, thank you. Last year I had extensive exposure to c. diff, a particularly nasty gut bug, and seem to have been well protected by the good bugs in my belly.

As far as the white blood cells (pus) they don't just appear with pasteurization. They're there when it comes out the spigot and are a potential disease vector.

Could you elaborate on government origination of animal protein? Oh, yeah, they grind up politicians for hamburger. Good idea. :puke:

Really, although the government (any government) oversteps its bounds in a lot of areas to the point of evilness we'd be up shit creek without it. It's the private sector that we have to fear more. Whole 'nother subject for debate, but government does some pretty good shit when you think about it. Some things they go overboard, some things they don't regulate enough. Some things they're pretty good at.

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,698 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Drank it for years when I lived in the desert, oddly enough. Never had a problem and thought it was superior in every way to processed milk. I'd read a little about homogenization and how it apparently works by physically breaking the fat molecules apart so they stay in suspension, but broken lipids are not normally encountered in nature and it turns out there's some evidence that these strange molecules break down our arterial walls. I'd love to see a study looking for a correlation between homogenization and heart disease rates.

Anyway, later on I almost completely stopped using dairy products as cow's milk is for baby cows to drink so they gain 300 pounds in a year even if it's otherwise free of hormones, antibiotics, bacteria, pus, and other unsavory (and ubiquitous) constituents. I can get enough fat, protein, and calcium from other sources, so I generally do.

#20 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

My family drank it for years also, when we lived near a friend's little dairy farm. No problems at all.

Interesting points about homogenization. I never gave it much thought, except that I miss that good cream on the top.

Here's what one organization advocating for fresh whole milk has to say.

http://www.realmilk....genization.html

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!