• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

This was an experiment in simplicity using a filtered spawn bag for invitro fruiting. The basic question was, “Can you grow a decent flush without a terrarium?”

Strain: B+ isolate
Substrate: 3 cups “standard” BRF mix with 1 cup hydrated popcorn and ¼ cup hydrated polyacrylamide
Hydration base: EarthJuice
Bag: medium autoclavable spawn bag (from SporeWorks.com)
“cake” run: 16 days (bag kneaded at 7 days)
Incubation temp: 83F (+/- 1 degree F)
Time from first light exposure to first pins: 12 days
Time from first pins to harvest (pictured): 5 days
Harvest weight: dead batteries in the scale prevented documenting this

The bottom and 1/2 inch of the sides of the spawn bag were covered with duct tape in an attempt to avoid side pinning. No bottom pins were noted, but numerous pins at (or just below) the duct tape level aborted. It is *believed* these pins aborted because they had no room to grow (due to the bag's pressing on them).

Substrate was mixed and PCed in a sealed bag for 1.5 hours at 15psi. A goodly volume of air was sealed in the bag. The PC's second "tray" was placed on top of the bags to prevent them blocking the pressure release valve.

The bag was cooled for 24hrs after the PC run and then inoculated with approximately 30mL of B+ liquid culture. The bag was then incubated for 7 days (until about %40 colonization) and then kneaded like bread and incubated for an additional 9 days. It should be noted that this isolate is SUPER agressive in colonization speed. Multispore would probably take at least a few days longer.

Once the bag was %100 colonized, the sealed top was cut off and the bag was carefully tipped to just past horizontal and the CO2 was "poured" out. The bag was then duct taped shut and placed on a windowsill in (mostly) indirect sunlight. No additional fresh air exchanges were done after the initial CO2 “pour out.” It bears mentioning that this bag was in full sunlight for only about 45 minutes each day.

These two pics are the BRF “block” pre-harvest (please don't bash my FOAF too harshly for the khaki slacks in the background; FOAF works amongst "straights" for a living - jeans just don't cut the mustard):

This is the mature mushie harvest:

mushroom harvest.jpg

This is the abort harvest:

abort harvest.jpg

After harvest, the “block” was placed in a gallon Ziploc bag full of cold water for a 24 hour dunk (in the fridge). Second flush shall be posted when/if it blesses my FOAF with it’s presence.

FOAF's conclusion: bag fruiting doesn't produce as much harvest weight as "proper" terrarium fruiting, but it certainly does work. Judging from the number of aborts, ouput using a "proper" terrarium would have been better. But since we are talking about roughly $4 in raw materials (not including the PC), FOAF is pretty well pleased with these results.

THANK YOU MYCOTOPIA.

THANK YOU MYCOTOPIATES.

THANK YOU HIPPIE3, FOR THE SINGLE GREATEST SITE ON THE WEB!!!

Your contribution(s) to my FOAF's well being are beyond measure. You wonderful folks and this wonderful hobby have reconnected him with this world - and his true family - in a way he thought died with Jerry. Most importantly (to him), you have re-connected him to a "youth" that he thought died with Jerry. You have reminded him to grin and just friggin' enjoy things on a level he thought he had "outgrown." You have re-connected him to the utterly invaluable child who still dwells within his shell. It is a tacky phrase to use, but you have all helped him to be "born again."

You have reminded him who he is and what power that awareness contains. You have re-energized his power cells and he is eternally in your debt for it. We are going to need a MUCH bigger boat...

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THIS WONDERFUL GIFT!!! FOAF is humbled and honored to have had this bestowed upon him.

"May you [all] live a thousand years."
-Trunk Salesman, Joe Vs. The Volcano

Attached Thumbnails

• unharvested block 2.jpg
  • unharvested block 1.jpg

#2 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:39 PM

Not only is that an interesting approach, I bet they taste great for your foaf to enjoy :)

#3 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:08 AM

that looks awsome...;)

#4 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:27 AM

Nice mushies, awful beers!
Seems like a great way to grow with little effort.
Thanks!

#5 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:04 AM

skills!
:bow:

1/4 cup hydrated polyacrylamide

youve got me stumped here, Buck..but you think outside of the box, i can dig it!:eusa_clap
the results speak for themselves:)
now tell us what the heck polyacrylamides are!:lol:
be well

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

Buckaroo..............I like the approach. Seems to have worked well. Thats a nice B+ isolate you have :)

Have you considered mixing in some finely chopped straw or some poo of some kind since you are using lc to inoculate? I wonder if that wouldn't give a bit more. I have a few bags laying around I might mess around with. I don't do much indoor stuff this time of year, only outdoor stuff, but may try something like this for fun. Great post!!!!!

#7 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:56 AM

Nice, buckaroo, and those are damn fine beers! :)

I love the color of these!

Edited by Sidestreet, 02 October 2016 - 02:06 PM.
removed broken link

#8 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:14 AM

AWFUL BEER???? Them’s fightin’ words, Rev!

Just kidding, dude. To each his own. I look forward to Sam Adam’s Summer Ale every year. I LOVE 'em. Just don't tell me you are a Coors light man and we'll still get along just fine...

Cap – Polyacrylamide is also known as water crystals, polymers and/or PAM. It’s basically a synthetic gel that absorbs massive amounts of water and then releases it back into the environment as needed. Makes a great buffer against over/under hydrating. Others have noted that it causes mutations, but that has not been my FOAF’s experience. Do some serious reading on it before considering it as an additive, though. It has some pretty major safety concerns that you should consider before using it. Based on his thorough review of the peer reviewed literature, FOAF has judged it safe, but that is a decision you should make for yourself. Caveat Emptor! Love that new avatar, by the way…

Freakachino – yeah, FOAF has been very happy with this isolate’s performance. It was your PE isolation thread that motivated him to give it a shot – thou doest inspire! Isolates do make one heck of a difference. FOAF has two similar blocks going that are coir/castings and popcorn, but they are being fruited in the terrarium first, just to verify in bag/out of bag differences in production. This BRF in bag was done because the BRF terrarium block had already been fruited. That's how FOAF knows the in bag isn't quite as good as using a true terrarium. Some air exchanges might have helped with that. Next project will be a bulk block fruited in bag. This also might be a good way to get cleaner prints from those “nodders.” Experiments continue…

Dial8 – B+ is my FOAF’s favorite looking shroom so far. He loves the color variance from dark center to light edge on the caps. And thanks for standing up for Sammy! Drinkers of fine craft beer unite!

#9 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

I'm sippin on a samual smith oatmeal porter right now. :)

#10 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:59 AM

I found a 4 pack of Sam Smith India Ale just a couple of days ago. OHHHH, I was so excited! Only got 3 of 'em, though. Had to turn my neighbor on - he LOVES India Pale Ales and I thought he should get a taste of a real India ale. I've totally ruined him for "regular" American beer!

#11 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

Dude, my wife dreams of the time when I was a budlight man. It was much cheaper. Those days are long gone. I love most imports and the dark ones really make me feel all cozy inside.

#12 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

Hehee, my wife tends bar in a pub, and I have drank many a keg of great draft beer. I've never had Sam Adams on tap but I've tried a bottle of it once and didn't much care for it.
When I'm just pounding beers at home I have found a cheap micro brewery beer that isn't too bad, but my favourite beer has got to be a nice cold Becks, I'll splurge every once and a while for it.

#13 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

Rev, don't forget that Sam Adams makes a lot of different beers. Don't count 'em out as a brewery after only one taste...some of their stuff really rocks. Regardless, Becks is a good brew.

Dial8, I'm glad you aren't a bud man. Life is too short to drink crappy booze! What kinds of darks do ya dig? You a stout, porter, taddy or triple stout man? I do genuinely LOVE a good cream stout, though a taddy porter is a damned close second.

I also dig Lambics and bitters. I enjoy a good craft brew like some folks enjoy fine wines. I somehow suspected I wouldn't be the only beer head here...

#14 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

Hell I like them all. My favorite right now is brewed by wychwood brewry in England. It goes by the name of Hobgoblin. It's kind of like new castle but much richer.

Asheville, NC has a good local brewed beer. It is called Highland, many different flavors but I like the porter the best.

#15 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:45 PM

DUDE! Thanks for turning me on to this! Working on my 3rd of 6 Hobgoblins right this very moment. Excellent beer! Fantastic balance of a dark's rich flavor but with an ale's quick/sharp finish. Good beer! KILLER with a good white pizza, by the way.

I think I'll have to track down some other Wychwood brews...

#16 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

One of my favorite strains is B+.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

Nice, buckaroo, and those are damn fine beers! :)
I love the color of these!
http://mycotopia.net...37&d=1147319425

pic o' the month nominee yet ?
it should be...
:headbang:

#18 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

The spawn bag used for the first invitro flush was filled with water and the bulk nugget dunked overnight in the fridge. Then the nug was cased with field capacity coir and put in a terrarium for fruiting. These pics are 6 days later:

Click on any pic to enlarge...

This is a B+ isolate with a reasonably proven track record. It tends to throw 3 big flushes of nearly identical size and then 2 or 3 more stragglers will show up. As you can see, harvest from the invitro bag and the "proper terrarium" are almost the same. The bag produced a lot more aborts, also. But the bag didn't give up one of these:

IMG_0024.JPG

Can we say happy mushroom dance? I knew we could...:cacti: :cacti:

Unfortunately, the invitro shrooms just aren't as aesthetically pleasing. Check this one beautiful cluster:

IMG_0019.JPG

So, invitro is a lot easier and a damned near as productive...but the fruits just aren't as pretty. Experimentation continues...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0007.JPG
  • IMG_0001.JPG

#19 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

far out, BB!

Edited by Sidestreet, 02 October 2016 - 02:06 PM.
removed bad link

#20 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

Very nice indeed Buck, that cluster is amazing, I count 12 full sized fruits on it.
That is most impressive!
Great job, as usual Buck!
:bow:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!