Anti-virus software ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:40 AM

anyone familiar with these folks ?
http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

i got some strange emails lately, supposedly bounced ones i sent [but didn't] to various places [mostly colleges] that claimed i had sent them a virus-laden email.
i was running mc-afee 5.something and it said i was clean but the software was out-of-date so i went ahead and bought/installed their latest version 7.something.
it too said my machine was clean, no virus.
is someone forging emails in my name [this is my hypothesis] with a virus enbedded to smear my rep ? ralphster has gotten two such emails ostensibly from me but i never sent them.
i'm mostly using squirrel mail from here on the site, could it be infected somehow ?
anyone have any helpful input ?

#2 shroomkalthoom

shroomkalthoom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 11:45 AM

It seems most likely that thse emails didn't come
from you. There are some viruses(virii?) that
will choose an email address at random from the
infected computer and use that as the return
address, and then send these emails to as many
addresses as it can find on your pc. Sometimes
one can tell from the email header info where the
email really came from, other times, not.

The emails ralphster got probably came from a computer
that was infected with such a virus
that had both your email addresses on it. The
w32.sobig virus in a virus of this type.
You can read more info on it and others here:
http://securityrespo...c.com/avcenter/

#3 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 12:44 PM

I have been getting a lot of sobig related emails,
bounced from my email and to my email, too.
There are probably members who have our addys in their
email programs that don't have anti-virus software or
firewalls on their systems and that is where the problem comes from.
All memebers should do a virus check and install a firewall
not only for your own protection but for others as well.
Posted Image

#4 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 26 August 2003 - 01:33 PM

Virus writers are constantly writing new stuff. One of their favorite tricks is to 'hijack' your email contact list. That way they can spread their virus and it looks like a legitimate email from a friend. My recommendation is to keep your email addy list in a separate file, and just cut and paste when you want to send someone an email. Don't keep a list in yahoo, hotmail, or even in outlook express.

#5 Guest_xylem_*

Guest_xylem_*

Posted 26 August 2003 - 04:22 PM

for anyone out there that doesn't have an antivirus program running a good freeware antivirus program i like to use is avg antivirus. you can find it at:

www.grisoft.com

another good freeware software firewall is Zone Alarm. you can find this at:

www.zonelabs.com

both of these again are free for the end user, they only want money if you're using the machines in a business. keep them both running continuously if you are on a broadband connection (cable internet or DSL) and if you are just using dial-up to get online always at least keep the antivirus program running.

they are both pretty easy to figure out, always remember to let an antivirus program run it's scheduled updates.

#6 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 26 August 2003 - 04:38 PM

another nice prog is surfinguard , also for free , that blocks automatic installations and a beta can be dl'ed at :
http://www.networkin...SurfinGuard.htm
amongst other sites , it is from finjan.com

#7 Guest_xylem_*

Guest_xylem_*

Posted 26 August 2003 - 04:50 PM

yeah mycophil

that's another big baddie out there. i got this crap loaded on my main machine called Xupiter, some sort of toolbar search engine thingy that i never installed, and was never asked if i wanted to install it, it is designed to do it through the www.

it killed my explorer, not IE, i couldn't read any files or folders on the machine and i ended up having to clear the machine and start from scratch.

i think adaware will also protect you from those type of download/install tricks. and while i'm on the subject ad aware is also a great spyware detecting utility.

#8 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 26 August 2003 - 06:48 PM

Stay completely away from Yahoo! Don't even go to yahoo.com to read news. They also load programs on your machine without your knowlege or consent to track your every keystroke. . .Lots of you can look up now at your explorer toolbar and see a "Hotbar" with links and etc. This is Yahoo spyware and it tracks every keystroke you make including usernames and passwords everywhere you go, including right here, and at your bank, credit card company, etc.

#9 machine

machine

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 07:27 PM

It is really amazing that almost every major site out there installs spyware without you ever even knowing. I had so much of on my computer it was making me want to stop even using the www. I got rid of it though. And everytime ebay or yahoo tries to install something Spybot takes care of it..

http://spybot.eon.net.au

I highly recommend you guys check it out. It will clean all that junk out of your registry and it displays a little box everytime it blocks a new one.

#10 Guest_expert_*

Guest_expert_*

Posted 03 January 2004 - 03:15 AM

For a free antivirus with free updates I've been using avast! 4 Home Edition. You can download it free at http://www.avast.com/index.html .CNET users rated it pretty good and you can't beat the price

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!