Fisana

- - - - -

pinning questions [merged]

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_curious_*

Guest_curious_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:33 PM

When i see the first pins starting to come out, I dunk it overnight. Then i fruit it. However this time around, i'm getting small, slowies. Would it have anything to do with me purposely adding more water to BRF 1/2 pints?
yayayaaaaa patience, maybe i belong in rant and rave! lol

curiousnerd

#2 Guest_curious_*

Guest_curious_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

forgot to mention, GT.

#3 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:09 AM

a change in the pf formula can affect the way the shrooms grow, they will also slow if too saturated/ or after dunks.......

#4 recondite

recondite

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:22 PM

I never dunk if I see pins. IMHO wait for the second flush if you do.

#5 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:49 PM

Dunking pins doesn't harm them. Foaf frequently dunks cakes that were birthed with pins and they don't abort. Some strains abort easier than others, but its much more likely that the dunk is going to GREATLY increase your yield.

Curious- I would decrease the amount of water you are using to make the 1/2 pints. Increasing the amount of water you use for the cakes is not necessary because the cake is going to get plenty of moisture to fruit with from the dunk. The water used to make the jar only needs to be enough to get the mycelium to completely colonize the jar in a decent amount of time. It really doesn't take that much. A 24 hour dunk before placing in the fruiting area will give the cake plenty of water to fruit with.

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:54 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I never dunk if I see pins. IMHO wait for the second flush if you do.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I agree,I only dunk for my second round/Flush.

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:22 AM

No, No, No!!! Never dunk a substrate that is showing signs of pinning. That will abort'em! Posted Image

(Message edited by looper on February 05, 2005)

#8 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:16 AM

It's very strange that if you mist pins, they will abort, but if you dunk a cake or casing with pins, they usually don't abort.

#9 Guest_thefungione_*

Guest_thefungione_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:58 AM

I dunked a casing with pins the other day and its doing fine....I don't think its a big deal as long as they're itty bitty...as a matter of fact there were more pins after I pulled it out of a 24 hr dunk....

#10 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:02 AM

I've seen pins that doubled in size during a dunk, and then went on to produce huge healthy shrooms.

Misting does certainly abort them, though. The Texas strain seems to be more resistant to this, however, because someone I know mists his texas casings all the way through the pinning stage and doesn't have a problem with aborts. It might just be the substrain he has, not sure.

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

I usally drench my casings when pinning starts and have great results, but i've dunked them before and have had a lot of aborts. Hmmmmmm, weird. Maybe it has a lot to do with strain, like invitro?

(Message edited by looper on February 05, 2005)

#12 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Would it have anything to do with me purposely adding more water to BRF 1/2 pints? <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
perhaps,
but unlikely.

#13 emptybrightness

emptybrightness

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:23 AM

My friend has 1/2 pints with Hippie3 substrate:love: nocked up with HillBilly strain. They were colonized in constant light at about 80 deg and are earmarked for Chronic Tek. Things stalled a couple of weeks ago but turning upside down quickly solved that one (thanks all! :) ).

Now she's waiting for pinning before dunking and moving on to the Quart jars. It's been a week since fully colonized and no sign of pinning. Is there a better way to get the pinning started or should she leave at full light, upside down, 80 deg and be patient?

+empty

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

leave at full light, upside down, 80 deg and be patient

that'll work.
might drop temp to 75 tho'.
less stressful on the now
fully colonized cake.

#15 emptybrightness

emptybrightness

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

Thanks H3 I'll give 75 deg a try. Much appreciation for sharing the knowledge and support.

+empty

#16 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:20 AM

Once pinning starts you can bump the temps back up slightly to reach the harvest stage quicker but I usually leave my temps areound 75-77 deg F.

#17 emptybrightness

emptybrightness

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:31 AM

Cool dial8... thanks for the fine tuning. :)

+empty

#18 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:01 AM

my ferret has birthed two cakes about a week ago, a day or two after birthing the cakes turned fluffy with myc when will he see some pinning so he can count down till pinning?

p.s i know this is another subject but, is light from through a curtian enough to trigger pinning?

#19 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:46 AM

U should be on track for pins in the next few days ..usually 8-12 from birthing...The lighting sounds ok too -they dont require much at all...Gluk..

#20 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:09 AM

i think im over reacting about the light. what is too much light because sometimes i open the curtains if i think not enough light is getting through. i also mist if the walls start to look "dry"-no droplets-when the sides dont have that misty layer

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!