• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 mcdisfun

mcdisfun

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:16 AM

the sun is too much light :P the curtains open is fine. as long as its not to the point its making the shrooms too hot :cacti:

#22 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:27 AM

when u say to hot, do you mean the sun light making it too hot or the brightness?

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:31 AM

it's the heat, not light intensity itself.
so indirect sun is ok,
but not direct.

#24 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

so there could be as much sunlight as possible as long as the temp stays 70-74 then?

if this is ok then i will leave my window open so as much light can get to it as possible

#25 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:20 AM

I would not leave any closed container in direct sunlight....greenhouse effect will cook em....

#26 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

I will leave the curtains open only when its not really sunny, when it is the curtain will be closed to limit the power of the sun, this should be possible and still give enough light.

#27 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:41 AM

finally see pins

is there anything to make sure that more pins grow and keep growing?

should i increase fanning to 4 times a day now to decrease rh a bit?

#28 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

Fanning 3-5 times a day is very beneficial. The pins growing now will be your first flush. When that's finished (about a week), you should definitely dunk those cakes for 12-24 hours. You can then double-end case and roll in vermiculite. For future reference, you can crumble and case PF cakes for bigger flushes. All those teks are in the vaults here. GL.

#29 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

i can't control rh though, its either 100% or very fluctuactiong

would a casing at 100%rh do better then a cake?

im going to crumble the cakes and case them after my 3rd of fourth flush if im lucky, since i have nothing to loose

#30 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

i hear putting casing at 100% rh is bad for them

which would be better 100% rh casings or 100% rh cakes

i mean which would do better if they were compared in the same enviroment

i cant control rh that why im asking this question

#31 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

Im a little confused, i suppose if your rh is going to be 100% at all times it would be better to have cakes fruiting, but you could pull of some casings, foaf has casings and cakes in the same chambers and they do fine, ~90% rh is ideal for casings but fruiting in 100% humidity is not impossible by any means.

#32 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of casing that you don't need to control the humidity in your chamber?

I beleive Night is using a method like perlite and water to humidify his chamber, well from my understanding you dont need the perlite if your doing casing.

To anwser the question, cakes would be better for 100% Rh

#33 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Yea a foaf fruits casings along side cakes all the time.

It can be done, but I've seen several casings that just didnt like the high humidity for fruiting and were delayed for a while.

However, there might be a few ways to help make it more ideal if your bent on casings.....

The easiest would be to crack the chamber lid for half a day or so with frequent fanning throughout .

Matter-o-fact, fanning alone might do it. Casings do tend to need more air anywho.

Another idea I just had was to maybe put a dry paper towel over the casing for a few hours a day. If you were to do that I'd suggest doing it after a nice fanning whenever you turn off the light.

Keep us updated!

#34 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

you still need a humid environment for casings to fruit, perlite and water should be effective.

#35 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

Its difficult to try and control the humidity of perlite and water, maybe by using less water you can reach an equalibrium, but this is just a theory.

#36 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of casing that you don't need to control the humidity in your chamber?

The casing is for the mycelium underneath's benefit.
It keeps the mycelium better hydrated so it wont dry out as easy as cakes.

This is why you dont need as much humidity for fruiting, although the top casing layer can still dry out and mess-up lots of work.

Casing help but nothings perfect.
You still need to keep humidity levels fairly high in the chamber but you have some leeway

#37 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:42 PM

The casing is for the mycelium underneath's benefit.
It keeps the mycelium better hydrated so it wont dry out as easy as cakes.

This is why you dont need as much humidity for fruiting, although the top casing layer can still dry out and mess-up lots of work.

Casing help but nothings perfect.
You still need to keep humidity levels fairly high in the chamber but you have some leeway

I understand that there still has to be humidity in the chamber don't get me wrong, I beleive i've seen many of grows where the person never had any kind of humidification in their grow chamber when doing cases.

I guess it would depend on how mcuh moisture you put into your casing that would determine the amount of humidity in your chamber.

Another way that you could possibly control the humidity a bit better then perlite would be to use water and a heater, you could control the temps of the heater, this would allow you to control the humidity to an extent.

#38 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

It depends more on the size of your chamber than just the saturation of the casing.

The casing's moisture will evaporate and even dry out unless you keep the chamber's humidity high.

If the casing drys out, your left with limited choices of methods to rehydrate it, any of which can stall fruiting.

In small enough containers a foaf has fruited many-a-casings with only occasional mistings. With large containers in relation to the casing, the top layer would dry up in a snap. That is, unless the humidity was kept rather high.

#39 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:11 AM

so it is possible to keep casing at 100% rh and they will probably grow.

assuming i fan alot and make a hole in the lid for a few hours aday.

this is nice because i can use spent cakes eg after my thrid flush, create and flat cake or a casing

#40 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:00 AM

use a seperate rubbermaid for the casings NO PERLITE
maintain 85-90% humidity by misting the walls as needed.

I beleive Night is using a method like perlite and water to humidify his chamber, well from my understanding you dont need the perlite if your doing casing.
To anwser the question, cakes would be better for 100% Rh

i concur.

please take the time to read: Growth Parameters for Psilocybe cubensis

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!