65 replies to this topic

#41 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

how many times would i have to mist the casing

i will only be ably to mist it but there will be a 8 hour gap between the first misting and the second one, then i can mist upto 3 times in 7 hours

if you understand what i said above

#42 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

how many times would i have to mist the casing

i will only be ably to mist it but there will be a 8 hour gap between the first misting and the second one, then i can mist upto 3 times in 7 hours

if you understand what i said above

You don't wanna drown the casing--maybe a fine mist from a few feet away. And only mist when it seems dry. If you are talking about the fruiting chamber and misting, you can spray the walls a few times a day, but only if needed. If there is condensation on the walls and lid, your humidity is very high. I hope that helps.

#43 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

You can work with casings in very high (%100) RH. You just don't need to. Cakes need the %100, because pins only form in a very high RH environment. The casing layer provides a "microclimate" of super humid air right where the pins form, so putting a casing in a high humidity environment is redundant.

Casings will tend to contaminate easier in %100 RH, but it's not by any stretch guaranteed.

Casings should only be misted *LIGHTLY* once per day, but only if they are drying out. If your cases are in a high RH environment, you may only need to mist once every 3 or 4 days. Once pinning starts, cease all misting of the casing layer (keep misting the terrarium walls). Misting can cause pins to abort.

This is one reason coir makes a good additive for casing layers - unlike verm, coir has a distinct color change as it dries out. It can be quite difficult to tell how moist verm is just by looking at it.

And always remember: a little too dry is far better than a little too wet.

#44 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:50 PM

im def gonna use my cakes for casing after their third flush(hopefully) by them i will dunk em and break them up into small pieces and case them.

so i basically mist the casing once a day before pinning, and mist the walls 3 times a day or only when theres no condensation on the wall-does this sound correct?

#45 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

Mist the casing lightly once a day (if it seems to be drying).

Mist the terrarium walls when they start to look dry (probably won't need to be 3 times a day unless you live in Arizona).

Open the terrarium at least 3 times a day and fan it to bring in fresh air and stir up the air inside. Stale moist air is an open invitation to contaimantion.

Continue asking questions until you are comfortable with the process...

#46 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

1 fruiting 1 not

i have two rye cakes but only one is pinning

the one that has been pinning for about 3 days and no pins on the other one

1 was dunked for 24 and the other 12 dont know if the difference can change the time

can one substrain pin early and the other one later on like a week later and still be perfectly ok?

#47 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

If you did multispore innoculation it is a roll of the dice.If one is fruiting give the other one time and it will(or most deffinately should) fruit if it is in the same kind of conditions.All you can do is wait it out man

#48 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:29 PM

agreed. Play the waiting game.

#49 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:31 PM

i hate the waiting game

when i saw pins on one i was so happy, but then after 3 days the other haven't pinned it just stayed the same. like its taughting me

"should i pin, should i not pin............nahhhhhh ill decide tommrow" then the cycle continues.

how long should i wait until i can say its never going to pin?

#50 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

never say never

#51 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

can one substrain pin early and the other one later on like a week later and still be perfectly ok?

yes.

if no action for another 2 weeks
crumble and case it.

#52 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

ok

#53 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

Patience, young padewan. You can't hurry perfection.

#54 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:00 AM

You can use mono and dubtub setups and not have to mist at all (from the posts I've read).

Haven't done 'em myselft but freak said she only opens her tubs twice (spawn and crop).

#55 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

still no pins.

at least if the second one doesn't pin i have another cake to birth that will take his place.

#56 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

im so happy, presently both cakes are pinning, i noticed 2 miniture pins, lets hope 100 more appear(1 can hope)

just wanted to say thanks for all the help

now that both are pinning how many times should i fan

im currently fanning 3 times a day

as i read that i should do, should i change the number of times or just keep it the same

#57 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

3 times a day is good, if you could up it to 5 it won't hurt (just keep the humidity up, developing fruit need it moist too). If 5 is a major hassle, 3 will work just fine.

Congratulations, by the way!

#58 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

my second cake is sort of stuck, i think its stopped growing

the pins are half way between delveloping and deviloped pins, eg small bumps with a yellow hue, these have been here 2 days and haven't grown anymore, maybe im growing mutents or something because theres one with no head and growing sidewards and im sure theres some growing under the myc, i don't know what these mushroom think they are doing???

#59 letaripper

letaripper

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

I have what looks to be a black substance at the bottom of the newly pinning mycobag :eusa_pray . What should I do. THere may have been some water at the bottom of the bag ? is this bad ? ruined ? or just a set back ?

#60 letaripper

letaripper

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

If there was a small amount, size of a quarter, of black substance at the bottom of a newly fruiting myco bag where a small bit o' water had been before what would you do ?:eusa_pray

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!