10 replies to this topic

#1 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

ok, i would like to just say first off that someone just starting this hobby ought not try this.. BUT i have not been washing my jars for quite some time now. the only thing that i do is clean off the top inside edge of the jar (in pf jars) that the air barrier is at. so like the top inch of the insides of the jar. i also haven't switched out the tape either. i'm on my third round of doing this. i figured that if my dirty ass hands weren't ruining my jars ( i use them to mix up the brf/verm./water ) then i probably didn't to have wash the jar all together, except of course that top inch or so. this has saved me a shit load of time when making my pf jars. and i don't even wash quart jars i use for popcorn. the corn that was colonized in this... [bad link] thread was done without washing the jar at all. again.. i wouldn't recommend this if you are just starting out but for me, it's taken all the shitty parts (washing all those freaking pf jars) out of this hobby. :)

fahtster

Edited by Sidestreet, 05 October 2016 - 04:26 AM.
removed bad link

#2 1sttimegrow

1sttimegrow

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:14 PM

my foaf has tried the same thing with the same results. She has had no problems so far...washing all of those damn jars...ugh:eusa_wall

#3 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

Well I mean, if you have a PC.. its going to really sterilize it all anyways. Do your jars end up having like rhizomorphic mycellia hanging from the sides? It'd be funny to see if somehow it survives PCing and innoculates the cake lol, not that it would ever happen. Have you ever done this with jars that have contam'd (i.e. trich), or just healthy PF jars?

#4 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

nah... just healthy ones. any contam'd ones definately get pc'd... although, i pc them again before i open the contam'd ones so maybe they could be.. but hopefully i won't have to find out. lol

fahtster

#5 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:25 AM

Yes faht i also pc contamed jars but then i take them outside and open them up under bleachwater in a bucket (and then have another bucket of BW to rinse them off in)and take the buckets to the back of my 4 acres and dump it even though technically the spores should be dead after the round through the pc i dont like to take chances.And i can almost guarantee you if you have a green jar and do this it wont get trich spores in your air(or atleast i dont see how):). I know I know K.I.S.S. or overkill but you know why take chances:eusa_whis

#6 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

nah... just healthy ones. any contam'd ones definately get pc'd... although, i pc them again before i open the contam'd ones so maybe they could be.. but hopefully i won't have to find out. lol

fahtster

Something to consider would be just throwing them away. They are pretty cheap. Why take any chances?

#7 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:47 PM

May want to be careful what you put out in your garbage.
I don't through anything in the trash that could be used against me if I were doing something illegal.
Just my .02

#8 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

Mine go straight into the dishwasher after use.

#9 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:46 AM

Yeah I rinse then into the dishwasher.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

hehe
i thought i was the only one lazy enough to re-use dirty jars
:lol:

#11 cactus_muncher

cactus_muncher

Horticultural researcher

• Expired Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

I just buy new lids if they get rusty or damaged but other than that I will re use my jars forever I see no reason not to they are glass and as such are easy to clean and sterilize just stick them in bleach water and get a bar dishwasher ya know they are like 15 dollars and you just suction cup them to the bottom of the sink and scrub off your jars really quick

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!