Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What music instrurments do mycotopians play?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 MagPicker

MagPicker

Fungi Lover

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Here is what i used to play Black walnut custom built banjo now im learning harmonica
2012-01-30_15-38-07_375.jpg

#2 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Guitar but haven't played in a while. I like the drums too!

#3 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

another stale and boring guitar player. i kind of suck 90% of the time but occasionally i get a good groove and the sound my horrible crappy £20 guitar makes are heavenly. always dreamed of playing the piano the violin and saxophone. but like most dreams they weren't based on rational thinking.

#4 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

I have a Takamine guitar which, is your typical hippie,earth friendly acoustic guitar.
I have always wanted a Gibson Hummingbird but I'm not worthy. :bow:

#5 MagPicker

MagPicker

Fungi Lover

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

A good instrument will encourage you to play more frequently imo

#6 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

A good instrument will encourage you to play more frequently imo

I like that answer!!:D

#7 Fakeman

Fakeman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Banjo player here too, here is my rig:
tenor+-+front.JPG
It's a tenor banjo tuned in Irish (=octave mandolin) tuning. I'm also trying to learn to play button accordion, my sister just bought a better one and I bought her old one. It's a Hohner Double Ray B/C. Since the two scales are a semitone apart it plays in any key. The tuning is basically the same as a harmonica, different notes on the push and pull.

#8 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

i bet thats true, and probably a good excuse for why i still suck ass.

ill put some cash aside for a new one some day. use to have a pretty nice one back in the day but sadly one of my uncles kids had other ideas,,, aww aint they so cute, and as they say kids will be little f**c**ng b*******.. i mean kids...... no no, definitely meant basterds.

#9 Dr.Psilo.

Dr.Psilo.

Scribbly signature

• Expired Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Piano and Guitar. But not as much anymore....when I was playing really heavily it was basically driven by prescribed amphetamines. Now that I'm off them the passion and ability is basically gone. In fact I feel desensitized to just about everything I once enjoyed....nothing really gets my jollies anymore.
  • MycoDani likes this

#10 sozzled

sozzled

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hey Mag. Banjo, that's an awesome instrument, an intimidating instrument for me. That finger picking shit is awesome and looks really difficult. I play guitar/bass/drums/percussion fairly well, no virtuoso, and I try to make electronic music sometimes. This is all my cool shit. http://www.soundclic...m?bandID=286685 Sorry for the self promotion, but i cannot stop myself, i am crazy and i need people to listen to my crazy music...
  • ernestro likes this

#11 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,532 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

I've been playing the guitar for over 30 years and I still suck:lol:

#12 Jawn

Jawn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

I've become very proficient with my beautiful custom Tele over the past decade, and I can say for certain that playing guitar is inherently cooler and better than playing harmonica.

Then I listened to "When the Levee Breaks", and realized I knew nothing about how wicked bad awesome harmonica can be.

Right on, man. Maybe upload some stuff? I've barely seen the surface of good harmonicaing....harmon...ha....hmm....whatever the word is for playing harmonica.

::EDIT::
By the way, sweet banjo.

#13 Dr.Psilo.

Dr.Psilo.

Scribbly signature

• Expired Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Here some harmonica action.
son of a bitch I forget how to embed here on topia but...

[Direct Link]

#14 Fakeman

Fakeman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Here's one harmonica player I really like: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/EddieClarke

#15 tantric hook

tantric hook

Mycoconfabulator

• Expired Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

Gibson SJ-100, 1954 vintage. Found it for $50 in a pawn ship painted black with several flowers painted on. Sanded off the paint, put on strings, set up the action. To get the paint all off, I sanded off a lot of wood so it is now very fragile, but has a tremendous BOOM!

guitar2.jpg

I play mostly finger picked old blues -- MJH, Skip James, Blind Willie McTell, RJ. Lately I have been working on blending a strummed rhythm into the finger picked melody lines.

#16 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have never used a pick I have alway's used my hand when I play with a pick it just doesn't feel right.

I'm digging all you Banjo players ever since Mumford and Sons plus our past greats I really dig the instrument itself!

#17 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

I play guitar - self-taught over 20 years
b-flat clarinet, e-flat clarinet - classical training for 6 years

Anything that makes sound - just gimme a few minutes I'll be able to play something soon.

#18 Fakeman

Fakeman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Clarinet is an awesome instrument, such a rich tone. I love klezmer clarinet and stuff along those lines. I dabble a bit but not so much lately. I was thinking an A clarinet would work well for the music I play (lots of G and D) but it seems like it would be very difficult to find one in a price range that would be affordable for me any time soon.

#19 MagPicker

MagPicker

Fungi Lover

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Its really cool i got so many responses. i just get really interesrted in the instruments and their history and the people that started certain styles of music. Also we could not talk because we speak a differnt langauge but still could play music together. we all are tuned to natures vibes if you learen to listen.
i like this stuff
http://youtu.be/mf5J-p6qUHE

#20 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Cool thread....I can't believe I'm the first one to say flute (self taught) amongst this crowd of folks........ :teeth: I make my own fipple flutes from wood and also from PVC pipe. I started copying the Native American style flute and then starting looking at the traditional European stuff too. It's a fun instrument to play and some of them are really good for meditations too but that is another complete thread unto itself.

I also play guitar, acoustic 6 and 12, electrics Schecter and Ibanez, bass guitar, trumpet, cornet, and french horn. I can make music with just about anything at hand.....it's in my DNA and I think it is a fundamental property of the universe.............. :hookah: I could be high too..........

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!