Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What music instrurments do mycotopians play?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Fakeman

Fakeman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

That's cool about the flute making, I have an uncle who makes flutes too. I think they are modeled after keyed wooden flutes that were once commonly used for classical music (Boehm system I think?) but he makes them without keys.

#22 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Fakeman and Arathu,
Good points brought to the table - not speaking the same language, yet we are able to jam together
And using instruments constructed to work within a certain key signature (b-flat, e-flat, A) - lots of woodwinds and brass are build like this - some constructed with triggers and slides to make them more versatile.
I think music appreciation is innate.

If it still fits into this discussion,
I ask the question...."Nature or nurture?"
Do you folks feel that you are natural musicians? Obviously - and I feel the same. Here is the key to the discussion:
How many hours each week do you spend playing?
I average about 7 hours a week with guitar.
Clarinet - pretty much zero practice.....and it shows when I play lately. Still sound good but I just can't play as long or as accurately.

#23 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

I would play for hours at a time because I love it. I get lost in the music it's my savior seriously! If it wasn't for music I don't think I would be here today!

Music saved my life and I feel like my love for all music is innate!
It's just something that I know I need like water, it's something that makes life worth while to me. Music is a language we can all understand and I love that. The common bond is just awesome to me! If I didn't have music I don't know what I would do!

#24 Fakeman

Fakeman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

I probably spend a lot more time listening to recordings I would like to be able to play like than actually playing these days, would like to devote more time to both. Not sure how my downstairs neighbors feel about me hacking away on the accordion though haha. I really like the brain exercise of trying to play the same tune in different keys or on different instruments, brings out new ideas even coming back to the original instrument or setting.

#25 Ilia

Ilia

mycophILIAc

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Instruments in the order that I picked them up : cello, guitar, voice, piano.
Lemme tell ya - guitar and piano were so ridiculously simple after cello. Voice was especially hard : I have too big a range and an endless bag of textures and voices I can imitate making it neigh impossible to practice something consistently. Sounded like a cat dying for the first three years but now I can sustain beautiful baritone tones :) . Voice is really that special one I think everyone should get familiar with.

#26 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I probably spend a lot more time listening to recordings I would like to be able to play like than actually playing these days, would like to devote more time to both. Not sure how my downstairs neighbors feel about me hacking away on the accordion though haha. I really like the brain exercise of trying to play the same tune in different keys or on different instruments, brings out new ideas even coming back to the original instrument or setting.

Too funny I try and pick out parts of music and what types of influence is in the song. I love dissecting music shall we say! :D

Also anything someone say's I can relate it to a song. It's weird but fun! So many talented people here I :heart: it!

#27 cym

cym

Forming Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

synthesizah!

and drums on controller pads.
not traditional instrument but hey, its what im doing with the sounds that counts.

#28 glorioushog

glorioushog

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

fingerstyle guitar and DAW's (synths)!
bit of drums bit of keyboard

#29 MagPicker

MagPicker

Fungi Lover

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

i would like to try a synth just never been around one

#30 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

I play the radio.

#31 glorioushog

glorioushog

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

i would like to try a synth just never been around one

hardware synths are not necessary any more, get a sequencer (Ableton, Fl Studio, Logic if your on mac)
and download some soft synths! - http://www.vst4free.com/

#32 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I really believe it is part of who I am, so nature first, then training the body to interact with the mechanics of the instrument to the point it becomes part of you is paramount, after that nature just flows from the combination and the instrument and person are one. It usually takes me about 1/2 hour of warm-up and a shift into right brain mode then I'm "speaking" through the instrument. I'm not a master by any means but I can play for sure. The ability to express emotion in music and other art-forms has saved my life too I think. It's a good form of constructive behavior for me......:teeth: Cool to meet all you musical folks, even if we don't talk the same languages, the music speaks no matter what.......that rules for sure!

#33 cym

cym

Forming Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

hardware synths are not necessary any more, get a sequencer (Ableton, Fl Studio, Logic if your on mac)
and download some soft synths! - http://www.vst4free.com/

I wouldn't count having a hardware synthesizer out completely, there is something definitely to be said about having a personal and intuitive connection with owning a hardware synth.

but you are totally right. one could own a decent keyboard controller that has assignable controller knobs and totally maximize the use of software synthesizers. there are so many options out there now as far as controllers go (especially the time saving options of automapping, etc.) and all serious music making aside, software synths are downright fun to play with just to see what kind of stuff you can come up with and allow a lot of possibilities that you normally wouldnt be able to tap into with hardware synths. and thats not even getting into the wide open space of effect routing.

:D

#34 Wantan

Wantan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

keyboard, drums, guitar, ukulele, I made a hang drum so I play that every once in a while too.

#35 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Played Sax during HIgh School.
Still have it to this day :) Its a nice brand too, i believe a Bundy II ... someting like that.

I want to learn the Violin...i think ill take lessons soon :)

#36 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

I play Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Synthesizers (hardware and software), Samplers, Hand Drums, Midi Triggered Drums, Hulusi, Melodica, and I also Sing. I record various instruments in different takes and overdubs and end up with full songs. Lots of musicians here I see, that's awesome : )

#37 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Used to play upright bass in an improv group for awhile, then I had to make rent....

#38 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Various hand drums and sometimes didgeridoo now.. used to play bass and drum set but not for many years

#39 cheetolay

cheetolay

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

saxophone and didgeridoo

#40 shade-of-deep-purple

shade-of-deep-purple

Psychedelic Musician

• Expired Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

I'm a psychedelic guitarist. I also started playing the ocarina.

I have a taylor acoustic, a epiphone electric, a yamaha acoustic-electric, and a yamaha acoustic 12-string for guitars.
My amp is a Fender Blues Jr. deluxe. I run a few pedals, but mostly my favorite a Crybaby Classic. I have a 8 hole Peruvian style ocarina.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!