• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

Afternoon! I'm thinking to buy some clear tupperware-type bowls to grow in. The idea is to put in a thinner casing below & around the colonized popcorn than on the top, in hopes that the bottom & sides will pin first. With 360 pinning, I'm thinking to try to get more mush per flush.

These bowls, about 4L in capacity, would have a number of small nail holes in the bottom & sides to give gas exchange, as would the lid. The lid would stay on until the growing pins needed space, then I'd switch for saran-wrap or something that could stretch vertically a good 4".

I know the lack of ventilation encourages contams. The casing layer may be just enough to cover the popcorn. As it would contain little moisture, I'd consider putting together the popcorn alone in the bowl one day, letting it stitch together for 24-48hrs, dunk the mass overnight, then let drain a little, THEN case. Some of the popcorn may be used after a pre-birth flush.

I've got a stupid amount of colonized popcorn coming up, and a mad scientist itch!Posted Image feels soooo good to scratch!

(Message edited by morthos on February 02, 2005)

#2 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:08 PM

Anybody?

#3 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:32 PM

I think allowing grains to recover uncased for a couple of days is the way to go. I always let my wbs set for 2-3 days in trays for recovery until i case. My contam rates are a hell of a lot better. As long as the bowls are transparent, you will get shrooms top, bottom, and sides. I used to do clear rubbermaids like that and had good results. Avoid the holes and just make sure you don't saturate the casing. Fan several times a day to prevent contamination.

#4 Guest_pbeester_*

Guest_pbeester_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:36 PM

Man, mine seem to fruit on the sides and bottom, even without a clear bin, always gotta check, anyways... Just use dry verm on the bottom because excess moisture on the bottom with no ventilation will breed contams.

#5 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:10 PM

Just use dry verm on the bottom because excess moisture on the bottom with no ventilation will breed contams.

That's why it's fruiting on the bottom. Don't use casing material on the bottom. Don't drill holes on the bottom. Mushrooms want to grow towards the fresh air. It completely defeats the purpose to put drain holes in a casing. That only covers sloppy technique in moisture control. A given substrate can only support so many mushrooms to begin with and popcorn is a piss poor perfomer at best. Don't put holes in the bottom and don't have it too wet. You can take a casing right out of the dunk water, drain for one minute and put into a pie tin without holes. Case the top only and cover with foil. After four days, remove the foil. Apply wax paper to the top. Lift the wax paper to mist if necessary. Usually it isn't. The mushrooms will lift the wax paper out of the way as they grow. Replace the wax paper with a fresh sheet every two days.

#6 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:35 PM

i'd mix the pcorn with coir instead of verm to create a rez-effect cake

#7 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:41 PM

Good idea. Coir is almost as good as spawning to compost.

#8 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll look for coir next time I'm in a larger center, and maybe start trying wild bird seed soon.

Just to be clear Rodger, I do want pinning on the bottom & all over the popcorn mass. With that purpose, a thin layer of dry verm would be good, yes?

I keep on thinking I need small nail holes from doing Chronic tek. I understand what you're saying about holes for the purpose of drainage; what I'm concerned about is gas exchange. Should I not have a few in the bottom for this? I'm thinking to try this in a Neglect tek fashion, only opening the unit at harvest-bleach dip-dunk time.

What I'm thinking of is a popcorn mass from 4-6 500ml jars. I would put this in the bowl, let stitch for a day or two, dunk, drain, then envelop with a thin layer of dry verm, add lid with 4~6 small nail holes for gas exchange, and turn bowl upside down so CO2 falls down & out. I would only open at harvest time. Between flushes I would bleach dip to battle contams.

As a variation could I mix the colonized popcorn with moist verm(until I get coir) for extra water supply?

Could this work as a neglect tek? Would I need 4-6 small nail holes in bottom for gas exchange given no fanning will happen?

Thanks guys!

#9 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:39 AM

Just read up on rez effect tek...

#10 Guest_vrooota!_*

Guest_vrooota!_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:47 AM

i'd mix the pcorn with coir instead of verm to create a rez-effect cake
I do this with whole rice, works great, like RR said its like lazy mans compost

#11 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

Just to be clear Rodger, I do want pinning on the bottom & all over the popcorn mass. With that purpose, a thin layer of dry verm would be good, yes?

damp would do better

#12 Guest_jam_*

Guest_jam_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

Coir is almost as good as spawning to compost.

Do you have a link to a tek for that?

#13 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:08 PM

it's based on this-
Mycotopia Web Archive: "rez-effect" [grain + coir/verm] cakes
just using coir instead of the verm

#14 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts