36 replies to this topic

#21 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,922 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Wildedibles! I have been loving the pics as you added them and learned enough from everyone to feel confident starting my own bin!
Skywatcher
  • wildedibles likes this

#22 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

You will love it Skywatcher!
There is nothing better than to suppliment one hobby with another!

another good thing about these bins is that when you put seeded fruits into them without damaging the seed it seems to help sprout even the more stubborn species

Hee Hee. Yep.
I put potato peels in and they start growing!

Cut a cucumber or banana in half (that is through it's diameter, not length wise) stick the cut end into the worm bin roughly 1-2 inches and leave the uncut end sticking out of the soil. leave it for roughly a week. When you go back you will find the worms have tunneled there way into the banana/cucumber and are concentrated at the veg/fruit base. simply transfer the veg/fruit with the surrounding casting/soil to the new worm bin and presto you have a new worm bin.

This works great, dfar. Much better than trying to separate them manually.

I have one of these to do the same job:
2n_NelBTCIM

The video speaks for itself. :)
  • wildedibles likes this

#23 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

^^^^ Its that easy Skywatcher :-D

Mushit, amazing video :-D SOOOO SOOO SOO EASY.. with so many benefits.
One might say its idiotic to NOT build one of those lol ;-)

Cheers brothers and sisters.
Love and Light.

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

Lovin the Great Ideas ... and the video is right kids like the worms too :) ... A nice easy bin would be great for schools so they could use it in their gardens .... I think they should be growing mushrooms in schools too off the cardboard paper and scraps .... Teaching them about composting and growing a healthy earth :) Giving them hope and knowledge :)
Planting bitter lettuce would be a great idea lol like potatoes
The lettuce would be full of nutrition without the bitter taste It would be a super easy crop :) I collected garden lettuce seeds I will test it out :)
.... now aerated compost tea ideas? :) .... If we can put some great ideas together like this and teach the kids the great ideas :)

#25 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

when it comes to MIXING and AERATING a compost tea... i prefer the AIR LIFT method.

I just found this video on youtube.. i decided im going to make my brewer pretty much just like this guy :-D
Pretty neat, only thing id change is id add a small paddle at the bottom of the drum and spins slowly to constantly
make sure that nothing is allowed to settle to the bottom :-D

• wildedibles likes this

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thank you this is an important part to get the most out of the fertilizers :)

I started looking at other videos I wanted to share this one I remember seeing it b4 its funny and shows how well the compost tea works ... It is well worth the effort :)

I think the birds would love those weeds

Edited by wildedibles, 18 February 2012 - 03:03 PM.
Add a video lol

#27 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

that is what happens when you run it through a wide path sprayer head.....if applied ONLY to the beds you only see a increased growth directly near the walls of it....water ONLY your patch and be sure to set your boards into the ground at least 3inches or you will have this happen

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Or you can add some of the weeds to the salad bowl too :) lol Nice comparison nice healthy growth both veggies and weeds

#29 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

Mmmmmm.
Turkey with Dandilion salad.
Mmmmmmm
:D

#30 mycofish

mycofish

Ichthyomycetes

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

https://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=257197&d=1329251228

man your worms eat better than I do, coffee too?...no worm has had it better lol.

My friends grandma used to dump coffe ground off the side of her porch, then go collect worms there for her husband to fish with...seems to attract them so I'm sure they love it, I guess it's a good size for them to pass through them.

#31 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Ya they eat better than me at times to lol
That was some nice smelly moldy soft fruit salad and some Broccoli stem :) they love it as it molds more I have to remember to keep the news paper layer on the top it works much better and keeps the smell and mold in the bucket

#32 mycofish

mycofish

Ichthyomycetes

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

cool I have similar cat litter containers and will be doing this, such a shame to throw away such useful containers...so no bad smells or fruit flies having under the sink? been thinking the garage but not sure about winters for the worms...

#33 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Garage would work great the worms can take some cold but I dont think it would help if they froze solid :)
The summers I have the bin outside and try to have the compost emptied as often as I can I do not like the little fruit flies

#34 toadshroom

toadshroom

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Love this thread, wish I had seen it when it was fresh.
How cool would it be to see restaurants utilizing vermicomposting?
Just think of how many TONS of worm castings Starbucks alone could produce in a year!

#35 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

There are many places that give this food waste away for many uses ... not all but yes food waste should be used better than it is many nutritional cost lowering solutions ;)

I found that keeping the bin inside in the summer was really bad fruit flys and such so I placed it outdoors and didnt bring it back in cause ear wigs have moved in

but all my waste food stuff goes to the compost pile not in the trash cleaner that way compost should be emptyed daily I usually use a bowl and take it outside when it is full so medium size for the day gets emptyed quick

I worry about the bugs such as fruit flys indoors with grows going on spreading these can be bad
and mold I have had if I didnt place news paper on the top but this all fills a small bin quick

bigger bin would be ideal

#36 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Red wigglers (eiosenia foetida) are best for composting. They are epigeic worms , living in the top soil for the most part. Night crawlers are Aceic live deeper and come up to feed and deposit their wastes outside of their burrows. Not particularly good for composting There are also endogeic (deep worms) that do not compost

#37 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Ya I agree I have tried to use the garden worms found deep in the garden and they are big but really do not compost ;)

I like the ones that are found under rotting wood in the yard easy to find red ;) and u can see they are munching down composting stuff under the wood and the wood itself ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!