• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#441 Pithead

Pithead

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously in this thread - I keep seeing UK news items on the 3d printed handgun and rifle that a young chap, Cody Wilson, is possibly intending to upload the plans for. I can't help thinking it's part of the internet lockdown plans.

#442 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm old and survival means something different to me. I was willing to accept a complete collapse before the '70s were over. If I had gone to ground back then, my wait would have been a long one. The fact that shit kept rolling along is to me, miraculous. It would be a good time to be young and strong.

#443 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,666 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

TV - do you have a favorite resource for building said knowledge stockpile?

Older people who've been doing it longer along with most classes at either the Tracker school or an offshoot of it (several longtime students of Tom Brown have opened their own schools and teach the same skills for a lot less money). The classes are just as valuable for the networking connections as they are for the skills so are worth attending even if your own skills or experience are more advanced than what's taught at the class.

The utterly inane TV show Survivor is a great example of how bass-ackwards pop culture is when it comes to staying alive. There was a Tracker student on that show once and he had more knowledge about living off the land than everyone else combined but was "voted off the island" within the first couple of weeks because his knowledge was perceived as a threat. The nature of the silly game they created dictates a completely different approach to the people's strategic and tactical decisions than what they would've needed to do to actually survive on the island as a group. If Survivor was for real, none of them would've survived and in that respect it parallels modern society while neatly illustrating why it's unsustainable. Taking the approach of "every man or woman for themselves" means death, period. But since it was TV, losing only resulted in a long flight back home and nothing of consequence was learned by anyone.

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously in this thread - I keep seeing UK news items on the 3d printed handgun and rifle that a young chap, Cody Wilson, is possibly intending to upload the plans for. I can't help thinking it's part of the internet lockdown plans.

IMO that's the biggest non-story of the year and is only revealing the staggering ignorance of politicians and most of the general public regarding technology. But in any case it's a really amusing instance of that "chaos" I'm always going on about. More laws, more surveillance, more impositions of control and just as the walls seem to be closing in from all sides with no way out a device pops into existence seemingly out of nowhere that makes those walls moot.

And then there are comments like this one I found under an article that put things in perspective.

I built a .308 caliber rifle from a 75cm long chunk of 25mm rebar and.. that’s all I used, was rebar. Total cost was 0 dollars, I found the rebar in a scrap pile. I used a 230 dollar Hazard Fraught mill, with the same kind of bit you use to make a flute (interestingly enough, its a 75 dollar bit called a ‘gun drill’.) I built a chamber ream, reamed the end of the rebar into the proper profile. I threaded the end of the rebar, and fit on a pipe cap. I rounded off a nail real fast for a firing pin, and used a throttle spring from a lawn mower to propel it. I tempered the barrel in a furnace I built out of an oil drum, refractory brick, and a high powered natural gas burner. I quenched it in heated oil bath made from used motor oil, and a deep fat fryer cooking element. I then used a ball mill to clean up the muzzle end and give it a very clean crown.

It was quite accurate, 3moa at 150 meters. None of these skills are special, i learned all this crap in shop class in high school. I could pump out a huge number of these in the time it would take for one of these plastic toys to be made. I could even go a step further, and thread the muzzle end of the rebar, and thread on a large engine oil filter. A 7.3L ford powerstroke filter would make a damn fine silencer once you fire a single shot through it.
Further more, all I have to do is push a button on my lathe to start it.

• MeriwetherLewis likes this

#444 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=WVTkT_GTd1Y&NR=1
  • MycoDani likes this

#445 MungoFungo

MungoFungo

THE Un-Governable FORCE

• OG VIP
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Did you see they made Printed SHOT GUN SHELL BULLETS that can be fired by regular shotguns!! They won't be able to control shit.. also this story made me laugh and feel so dumb to be American..lol.. http://washington.cb...nra-membership/ hahahahah!! 8 year old gets suspended for making a pop tart shaped gun!!! but givin lifetime NRA membership!!! hahaha!! at least he got to get out of school for a while stay home and eat some gun shaped pop tarts.. I WOULD..

#446 stonestare

stonestare

Interstellar Overdrive

• OG VIP
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

You know what kills me about gun control is the fact they want to limit the amount of rounds in a clip,no you cant legally own a auto fire without some serious paper work (federal firearms license) yes anyone can get one if you meet the requirement. Where I am going with this is the fact they dont know shit from shineola. IF they knew anything about guns they would know about ammo, for instance I keep these in my pistols for self defense granted this is multi calibers BUT look at the fired units these are hydra shocks hollow point with a steel peg in the centernoslerBallistic-Tip_big.jpg , see the hollow section underneath the green plastic tip, allow for exspansion of the slug putting pressure on a larger diameter.I really dont care about caliber size or how many rounds you can get off with 1 clip loaded in a fire arm what I care about is what they are using for ammo.Hydra shocks in a pistol badass, ballistic tip rifle rounds badass, your not going to be twiching much if you get hit with either one of those.Those 2 types of ammo are the most effective that you can buy legaly, they do maxium damage, so do you really need 30 rounds or do you need 1 that BLOWS a hole in tissue? Wich do you want.....

Attached Thumbnails

• Aug22Expansion.jpg

Edited by stonestare, 31 May 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#447 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

"...And then there are comments like this one I found under an article that put things in perspective.

Posted Image Originally Posted by some guy's comment
I built a .308 caliber rifle from a 75cm long chunk of 25mm rebar and.. that’s all I used, was rebar. Total cost was 0 dollars, I found the rebar in a scrap pile. I used a 230 dollar Hazard Fraught mill, with the same kind of bit you use to make a flute (interestingly enough, its a 75 dollar bit called a ‘gun drill’.) I built a chamber ream, reamed the end of the rebar into the proper profile. I threaded the end of the rebar, and fit on a pipe cap. I rounded off a nail real fast for a firing pin, and used a throttle spring from a lawn mower to propel it. I tempered the barrel in a furnace I built out of an oil drum, refractory brick, and a high powered natural gas burner. I quenched it in heated oil bath made from used motor oil, and a deep fat fryer cooking element. I then used a ball mill to clean up the muzzle end and give it a very clean crown.

It was quite accurate, 3moa at 150 meters. None of these skills are special, i learned all this crap in shop class in high school. I could pump out a huge number of these in the time it would take for one of these plastic toys to be made. I could even go a step further, and thread the muzzle end of the rebar, and thread on a large engine oil filter. A 7.3L ford powerstroke filter would make a damn fine silencer once you fire a single shot through it.
Further more, all I have to do is push a button on my lathe to start it..."

That made me think of zip guns. One can easily be made with materials found at any good hardware store. How about the grease gun sub machine guns and the liberator pistols that were made during WWII? They were designed to be made with limited machining capabilities. They were so simple in design that they were often made under contract by bicycle manufacturing companies. All you need is some simple equipment for metal stamping and welding and you have a sub machine gun factory in your garage. If people want firepower badly enough they will find a way to get it. Even taking ammunition off the market won't stop people. At one time the Israelis reshaped brass lipstick tubes to make cartridges. The cats out of the bag and it's not going back in.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1g.jpg
  • 1l.jpg

• firerat likes this

#448 stonestare

stonestare

Interstellar Overdrive

• OG VIP
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Dead_diver your right about the cat out of the bag.Would I take a piece of untreated rebar and pop a round through it? No, but anything can be done.If you have any machining skills you can make a gun, its not hard to do the barrel is the hardest part getting something long enough to work it.If they pulled ammo off the shelves today it would not do any good.There is so much stock piled it would proboly scare most people.I am not talking about millions of pounds its proboly billions. I am not sure how much I have I am proboly sitting on around 250K rounds of brass various calibers and I know I have about 240 pounds of powder. Shotgun shells 1time shot I have 10 55 gallon drums full of them. I got in good with a range owner, I haul away brass and shotgun shells for free that is left on the ground there.For shot gun I do have one of these just need raw lead and 110 power source and pump it out.The lead heats up melts out a orfice drops down into a bucket of liquid laundry detergant to cool. I buy bullets by the 1K count to reload. I donnt know the exact amount I have of anything but know I deffinalty have enough that if it hit the fan today I would not run out of anything.

#449 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

If they pulled ammo off the shelves today it would not do any good.There is so much stock piled it would proboly scare most people.I am not talking about millions of pounds its proboly billions.

I hear ya. I have well over a hundred pounds of just pistol ammo and at least another 50 pounds of assorted rifle and shotgun ammo. It really isn't as much ammo as you would think, lead is fucking heavy. I have all my pistol ammo crammed in an old railway strong box that measures about 12" x 12" x 16". I didn't realize how heavy it was until I picked it up a couple weeks ago to move it. I had been putting ammo in it and taking some out when I want to go shooting for a long time without actually moving it. I damn near got a hernia when I picked that sucker up.

#450 Albert25

Albert25

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

I think the gun control policy is not right because even you have a security cameras and other security devices installed in your property you can't defend yourself against a person who have a gun in hand.Or until you have a quick access to the security officer that can take action against that person.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!