#1 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hello friends. :-D

I'm sure some of you have heard of this guy before, Will Allan is his name.

http://www.growingpower.org/

Hes the director at Growing Power... a nursery he purchased in '91 i believe.

I am exactly like this man :-D We have the same mind set in the terms of being
able to create an abundance of food for this world.

I personally LOVE his system he made for the aquaponics... It was def a long the lines of
my setup, and I have only just learned about this guy id say a week ago or so.

Been doing some research on him the past week. HEHE This is perfect
because I found someone that has already perfected their method that is pretty much what i had
in mind as well..

SO now instead of having to develop my own system, I can credit this great man for his design and Im
going to simply make my modification to it. Adopt it to feed countless other veggies
and growing beds.

Really all this guy needs is to set up solar power so he can get some more pumps to transport the water to other beds... that
would be FLOODed ever once in a while.. and the run off water would be collected and cycled back through the fish
tank.

I cant wait till I start my rebuilding of my greenhouse. Its going to be pretty amazing :-D
I already have a 8000 gallon pool that is my water res, im going to have to build up compost
around it, so it keeps the water warmer in the winter time hehehe

Some interesting things are about to happen :-D

#2 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Cool man.

We are thinking about solar power here, with battery banks.

12v Bilge pumps move a shit ton of water for very little electricity, 12v cage fans are highly effective too. Both super cheap

Also we are thinking about building an alternator stationary bike to power the battery bank to actually run 500-1000W of lighting. Although we don't know much about prefab alternators...betting we can rig a belt system up to a few of them....in lieu of $$ and space for a 50,000$ solar system. LOL :D

You could make a whole gym and power your grow site while people get free exercise. Or worse - pay for a membership

#3 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

50k grand what you talking about? lol

You can make a 5kw solar system around $500 per KW...

you gotta make your own solar panels... They are SUPER SUPER SUPER easy to make :-D
When I start building mine ill make a nice thread showing my work and what not.
Im going to have my friend help me since its going to be pretty large. My solar system
I want to pump at least 5kw of power.

But this Will Allan fellow is a pretty cool guy. I would like to learn more about what he
does with the food he raises.. he states hes a nonprofit though, but I mean I could say that
to just get out of paying taxes.

#4 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

The panels only put out max for 2-4 hours per day -> 5kw x 12(or more) is 78 kw per day if you factor in 30% exchange/efficiency loss.

And what about 3+ days no sun? You battery bank has to be large.

50k might have been a high estimate, but not outrageous :)

#5 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

3+ days of no sun isnt an issue.
I have a solar panel now that powers my water pump in my pond and powers my electric fence.

With the new 3D solar panels, the amount of sun required now a days is VERY small.

Also, im sure you heard of the solar panels that are super tiny and have magnifying glasses over them to
concentrate the power..in turn pulling more power out of the panels.

and ya the battery bank would be wired in a way to where only is being used at a time for short moments.
Then they switch. Each of the others would work together to recharge the battery that had the load.

Plus I believe there are things called... KVMs that CLEAN your power up to make it even better.

Nonetheless though, if there is no sun, my Air Battery build should be enough power to power
my green house without any battery storage or sun.. or any moving parts :-D Static Energy collection.
Pretty neat stuff if you ask me

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'm interested to see the design of your solar system.
Particularly solar panel design and construction......hmmm.....
Lots of cool toys out there to explore. I wired a 3KW off-grid system for a buddy.
He has running water for showers and cooking - flow through on-demand water heater, and can run some pretty serious loads for quite some time.
The elements within the system can be quite complex.
My buddy spent some pretty big $$$ just purchasing the system elements - array, array disconnects, charge controller, inverter, battery bank.......Although his first generation system only used a few gel cell batteries with a charge controller and inverter purchased form CostCo for pretty cheap. That old system did a pretty decent job but wouldn't handle and real loads.
When distributing voltages at DC, he ran into a power-loss problem (must run larger conductors due to voltage drop).
Tons of stuff to play with and calculate - research first, talk to experts, design the system, then start purchasing materials.

#7 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

My brother is an electrician. So he will for sure be helping me.
Im not a master at all when it comes to electricity.. shit the most
i have done was wire up grow room setups for 10kw continuous.
But I wont lie,, my brother is a little close minded some times.. he needs
me to think outside the box :-D He the "to the book" kinda guy lol

Trust me I am VERY VERY VERY aware of all of the variables that are involved
in setting up a solar system. I have a buddy that is amazing at Auto CAD and
designing scenarios on the computer... so this whole setup will be Virtually Recreated..
and tested on the computer first :-D I cant tell you what program he will be using NOR
could i show you guys images of the setup,,, because the program cost $50,000 and
he cant use it for this stuff... and show it off as any kind of BLUE PRINT or prototype
stuff... get my drift...

but like I said.. im not master at electricity.. but I am a master at doing research and
problem solving.. tis what I do :-D tis how I am wired...

I am VERY VERY excited to be able to share it all with you, your all my family :-D

I know I talk a high game :-D and talk a lot :-D But I ask only one thing of you all :-D
Please be patient with me, for time is all we all are waiting for :-)

#8 D.REYx420

D.REYx420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

Sounds like you got things going man. I remember reading an article awhile ago and it was this kid who was learning about plant fractals and so he figured he wld make a mini solar tree with little solar panels because tres are so efficient at collecting the suns energy and it worked better then just flat surface solar panels. It wld be awesome to see full sized solar panel trees to grow your plants. Just my two cents.

#9 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Definitely cool ideas man, I am going to look into what you called an air battery too.

I didn't mean to come off discouraging, I am just disappointed with the cost/efficiency of solar power. It's not where I want it to be yet. Takes a long time to recoup the investment.

We have some panels here, and a ton of PIC chips. Working on a solar powered, 12v, digital grow controller. The light will just have an AC source with a contactor until I get some bigger panels.

#10 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

D.REYx420Posted Image-
You talking about William Yuan? His or possibly Georgia Techs tiny carbon nanotube
designs utilize the UV light as well as all other light pretty much, in a 3D micro design.

Of course im not going to be using these cells for I wouldnt have a way to produce them at all.
Dont have a lab setup to make such things lol BUT What I can do is what you said :-D but in a kind
of different way..

I will be using MIRRORS and magnifying glasses to concentrate my SUN light..
Its has already been done, so im not doing something new here.. im merely adding the magnifying
glass portion. BUT get this... Instead of having a bunch of PANELS... you could simply
have 1/3 the panels... with 2 mirrors and a magnifying glass on each panel.

If this doesn't work out as well as i figure, I believe Ill incorporate the 3D TREE style design.

mate0x-
oh dont worry, I didnt take it as anything discouraging :-D Shit...when I have people against me,
and people that say negative things to me, those people are the ones that make me push forward
even harder in turn making more advancements faster then I would have without the criticism :-D

Ya todays systems are super costly, but it is possible to build them yourself, meaning doing all the
soldering, for damn cheap prices.
The key is you have to find a bulk Solar Cell distributor, which is the tough part lol. I have
run into a lot of places that are selling BROKEN cells...wtf would I want those for lol...

Also you gotta make sure you get the RIGHT kind of cells..You want the ones that LOOK BLACK,
not the crystal blue looking ones, those are old school crap lol. The black cells, I believe merely turn
HEAT energy from the sun into electricity... So that is why the magnifying glass would be so useful.

All I know is this program my buddy has is amazing and will pretty much just play things out
and give you feedback on how things will pan out in real life... AS close as it can at least, it is only
a computer remember. But i know it will save me thousands of dollars for sure.

#11 D.REYx420

D.REYx420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

http://inhabitat.com...e/<br /><br />this is what i was looking for. imagine large scale trees of these and the mirror magnifying sounds like it wld work wonders also.

#12 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

VERY NICE D.REY!!

Check it out guys and wonderful women, I just found another GREAT video regarding
Growing Power.

My friends and family here, i am talking straight to each and every one of you when I say...
that I promise you within 5-10 years, I will have kicked the world in the ass as a moral
buster so we all can finally eat healthy and for free. World with abundance of FOOD
is a healthy happy world where corruption will and I REPEAT WILL cease. Oh ya gotta
remember clean water too ;-)

This is the VERY VERY NEAR future my friends... this is REAL.. and ITS HAPPENING... systems
like this that are so immensely equipped with the best of the best will required VERY LITTLE
human action to run it. :-D LESS WORK with MORE OUTCOME is MY GOAL.

Even though the Growing Power method is super easy and the first of its find(now a days)
it can be refined to work even better.

We all can help and do this and bring one of these to their community.

Im looking large scale.. im looking at what IS POSSIBLE TOMORROW.... im envisioning
25 acre GARDENS that feed CITIES of people... all over the world, you couldnt travel
5-10miles without seeing one of these gardens.

:-D They are CHEAP to make as well.. cheaper then modern "FARMING", but oh.. FARMING is
for making PROFIT... Gardening is for feeding people healthy clean food. I say it all the time...
I AM NOT A FARMER :-D Im a Gardner my friend, now why dont you join me in my garden
so we can indulge on fresh fruits and veggies.

I will be completely recreating my garden this year to utilize my 8000 gallon water rez
as a fish tank :-D You all will love it !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs7BG4lH3m4&feature=related

#13 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

The solar tree is way cool. I've stared at trees for years, seen the twisting and branching but never applied it to solar collection. Must be why that kid has a patent and I'm just looking at it eh?

I would like to say that I wasn't offering discouragement either. Knowledge of how to construct a working solar panel will be cool. As for your buddy's program, yep.....those calculations are that complex and critical for your area. Not surprising to know he won't share specifics. Actually, you're getting a huge boon for free - many solar component supply houses won't even talk to you unless you're a contractor. Even then, they get paid for system design - at least at the level you're talking.
I'm all aboard with the dream.
Let's toss money, raise our own food, stop chaining ourselves to the machine, and see what the liberated conscious can achieve.

#14 D.REYx420

D.REYx420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

fuck yea MYC we all need to try and break the chain and liberate ourselves i wish it was easier to have ppl do this but then the machine wldnt get that much more money from us i cant wait till i can start to make my way off the grid.

#15 on3plus

on3plus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

i think that to really liberate your self you need firstly liberate your mind
without the personal "I" freedom that really evry man gives to his self
it really depends how you will use that freedom :)
evry radical action like revolution must be done in firstly for you and
not just to say that you are doing to look cool but for personal growth :)
  • neo Figment likes this

#16 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

i think that to really liberate your self you need firstly liberate your mind
without the personal "I" freedom that really evry man gives to his self
it really depends how you will use that freedom :)
evry radical action like revolution must be done in firstly for you and :)
not just to say that you are doing to look cool but for personal growth

home slice, lets not derail this topic just yet, 1 post after an off topic comment is enough,
no need to continue the fad... not trying to being a dick, just saying your comment fits better
in its own topic in the "rebel and resist" section.

This topic is about getting back to to land... and proving that when I talk about food abundance, I mean
no bull shit, and I only speak truth.

The current solar power Dollar per watt ratio is about $1.70 per watt give or take 10cents.
My goal is to cut off at least 50 cents from that... but if i can get it down to a buck a watt... we are all
in business :-D Because only 5 years ago, a 5kw system easily cost about 25 grand... now a days
you can find a 5kw system for roughly 15 grand...now if you built that system yourself you'd
easily save 6-7 grand.

I have been doing some immense research regarding ecosystems. Pretty much just re-read everything
I have read before that is in terms with gardening and sustaining ecosystems, renewable power, and my magnetic
physics studies. (Magnetic physics is what goes together with the "air battery" i mentioned before)

In my mind there is no such things as a 100% fully self sustained ecosystem. At least
in my mind they do not exist anymore on this planet. This planet is so hurt that it NEEDS
our help in order to become healthy again.

By doing things like what Will Allen has already done, this planet will heal up nicely and with the
quickness.

I appreciate all of the support my friends, and don't worry, I don't take anything as discouraging..
I take all comments as constructive criticism :-D Tis what drives me to achieve GREAT things.

and also, id like to mention, ONE IMPORTANT THING...

"Amazing things can happen when one isn't afraid"

Myc-
Its not that my buddy doesn't WANT to share his data or images, its that he REALLY CANT, because he doesnt OWN
the program... so being such an expensive program if he was to post some work that he did within that program
and tried to publish it.. he would be sued and all the work and data would be taken from him in an instant.
It's kinda like having a deed to your home.. you only have a deed of equitable value, at any moment the bank
can take your home from you lol.
So long story short, he doesn't want to get sued.. and he doesn't want all of our research to be compromised
and stolen from us... when we do work, the laptop he has is cut off from the internet so the program company
cant even see him using the program. Its a pain in the ass... but for the calculations that can be achieved
via VIRTUAL REALITY are just to great to ignore :-D If i was able to just tell you the name of the program
you'd fully understand. lol it shits on Adobe....

#17 D.REYx420

D.REYx420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Me being where I am in life I Couldnt imagine even having that much money saved up lol I wish you thebestof luck and will be here to tch things come along and learn the way of sustainability and on3plus I have dealt with my "I" :)

#18 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Oh ya, check this out :-D Decided im going to get myself about 3-4 piggies :-D

SO i can build myself a Biogas Digester :-D

[Direct Link]

#19 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

another video regarding eating only fruit and veggies :-D

http://www.newsnet5....oman#85224574-1

#20 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Piggies will rip the ground up pretty good, fun pets.

Can food train them a bit too

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!