• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Also we are thinking about building an alternator stationary bike to power the battery bank to actually run 500-1000W of lighting. Although we don't know much about prefab alternators...betting we can rig a belt system up to a few of them....in lieu of $$ and space for a 50,000$ solar system. LOL :D

You could make a whole gym and power your grow site while people get free exercise. Or worse - pay for a membership

Tried that once, don't plan on getting too much power out if you build one. My gf and I built a bike/alternator rig when we lived in the woods off-grid many years ago. I was working as a mountain bike and whitewater rafting guide, so I was in really good shape and when I first hooked it up and started pedaling it seemed great; I was spinning along at a good pace for about 20 minutes, then I stopped and checked the battery, which had not been charged at all. Seems we forgot to energize the coil, which is what's required to actually generate power so when we hooked that wire up and energized it it suddenly took a LOT of effort to turn the crank and to get any kind of speed out of it I had to stand and pump the pedals as hard as I could (and still had to use a low gear; it was like climbing steep stairs). About 20 minutes of that left my legs burning real good and I rode a bike in the mountains for a living! And unfortunately days of tinkering and 20 minutes of ass-busting effort charged our marine deep-cycle battery up by about 0.4-0.5 volts. We went back to our old method of alternating between two batteries, charging one in the car while using the other at the house (which worked really well).

#22 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

We went back to our old method of alternating between two batteries, charging one in the car while using the other at the house (which worked really well).

Great idea.

Okay so if true alternators are too beefy for human kinetics....what about reversing loose spinning motors?

We are looking into those for making cheap hydroelectric turbines, but there are already some affordable hydro units out there... best to purchase one probably.

Thanks for the sharing.

1l what kind of pigs you looking at?

#23 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

probably just your average piggy lol

i wont eat them most likely they can be my garbage disposals lol
They'll eat clam shells... CRAZINESS lol

shit.. i just learned that some sea ducks eat clams also... shell and all just
swallow that sucker whole.

#24 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing the knowledge folx!

#25 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

and if it came down to it you could go 'nam style and have your very own toilet pig!! yep! they will even get that! a friends mother said her village had the best ones and after a yr as a toilet pig it would be roasted ...said it tasted better than any other pork shes had since she left home...auugggg!

#26 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

and if it came down to it you could go 'nam style and have your very own toilet pig!! yep! they will even get that! a friends mother said her village had the best ones and after a yr as a toilet pig it would be roasted ...said it tasted better than any other pork shes had since she left home...auugggg!

:drk:

#27 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

ew lol id never eat that piggy...

#28 blueprince

blueprince

b ן u ǝ p ɹ ı n ɔ ǝ

• Expired Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Nice thread, i have an interest in these matters as well but haven't come close to whats discussed here. Just thought i'd chime in about the new cheap solar cells if you haven't heard of them yet:

Ion Cannon Cells

Cheers.
  • mate0x likes this

#29 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Nice thread, i have an interest in these matters as well but haven't come close to whats discussed here. Just thought i'd chime in about the new cheap solar cells if you haven't heard of them yet:

Ion Cannon Cells

Cheers.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I love it when people hand me gold.

#30 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I love it when people hand me gold.

Its better then gold... you cant do anything with gold lol...besides make connectors and neat cabinet handles ;-) oh ya
and also some BOMB ASS fishing lures ;-)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!