Photo
- - - - -

Turntablism is my life

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_mr.e_*

Guest_mr.e_*

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:58 PM

How do you like those ortofon scratch needles. I have a pair for when I do live gigs, they sound so nice. I love the accented highs along with full sound you get from Ort's. The only bummer about those is mass record wear due to the high tracking needed to for the measley pinks guys to stay skip resistant. When at home fooling around and scratching I use the M 44-7's made by shure, the bass is too over powering for me and the audience when I do my regular Venue in S.D. My setup includes a few technics 1200's I have aquired throughout my career, A rane ttm 56 mixer, with a pioneer external effects module, many varieties of needle's depending on where I play. A lot of clubs have started to use the numark ttx1 which I am falling in love with, the tone lock feature is so dope, the automatic digital BPM counter on the ttx1's don't hurt either. Best to stick with my techs though. I spin break beats, early hip hop, underground shit, and I'll fucking mash anything up, ohhh and I forgot to mention I am forced to play top 50 hits when at my local venue*whatever gets me payed). BB lets exchange mixes I'll hit you up via PM. Do you produce music; as well. Basin Blues and the other Kid Koala track you mentioned are dope, both are off his "My Best Friends Are DJ's Lp." A great guy was very kind to me even while mopping the nijna tune floors for my internship.
Peace,
DJ Mr.E

#22 Guest_mr.e_*

Guest_mr.e_*

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:00 PM

By the way BB lets get this music forum rolling. I think it would be dope to exchange and learn from the mycotopian musicians.

#23 Guest_mr.e_*

Guest_mr.e_*

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:08 PM

I'm feeling that mix. I'm just starting to feel the effects of the shroomies kicking in, and I'm loving your funky fresh breaks. I'll let them guide my trip for the first hour or so. I'll be sure to post what I produce tommorow.......... Now it's time for lift offPosted Image

#24 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:09 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

how do you like thoes ortofon scratch needles<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I like it pink;) They last for freaking ever really.. They do eat up records though.

A rane ttm 56 mixer, with a pioneer external effects module, many varieties of needle's depending on where I play.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

my buddy and a exroommate have that same exact mixxer.

I'm rocking the Staton SK-2 focus fader, and a Vastex PMC-07Pro..

As for my outboard FX, I have a Kaos pad (k2)

I really just wish i had some apogee A-D converters for my computer so i could actually capture the quality better during recordings.

A great guy was very kind to me even while mopping the nijna tune floors for my internship.
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

You interned @ Ninja?

Very very awesome. I havent seen the gear list or pics of that studio..

Though I'm friend with Joe Rivers @ Play Ground studios http://http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/

By the way BB lets get this music forum rolling. I think it would be dope to exchange and learn from the mycotopian musicians.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I totally agree with you. I'm on the ball, lets make this happen.

I'm feeling that mix. I'm just starting to feel the effects of the shroomies kicking in, and I'm loving your funky fresh breaks. I'll let them guide my trip for the first hour or so. I'll be sure to post what I produce tommorow.......... Now it's time for lift off<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

eeek i hope you downloaded it because the server just wint down for some reason (right this moment).. Our providor is completely offline even their website is down.. www.streamguys.com

and my boss needs the radio stations up now

lol

cheers

- BB

#25 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:10 AM

servers back up fyi

#26 Guest_psycho_*

Guest_psycho_*

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:10 AM

I used to have tables back in 1990.

i was in junior high school so my record collection sucked as did my tables.

had two pre 1200 technics tables and a numark mixer a cheap 70's reciever and some monitors speakers.

been wanting to get equipment for a while but don't have the money for it plus i know how expensive it is to be a vinyl junkie.

but using that equipment back then gave me a whole new respect for the masters like cool dj herc,grand master flash.I mean those tables sucked(belt driven),they took like 3 seconds to pick up on their own lol.

yeah i love turntablism.and real hip hop.

and people should know the difference or at least be exposed to the difference.which is why i gathered info and posted the history of hip hop for people to know the roots,and other influences in how hip hop changed or was hi jacked and is now evolving globaly.

It's unbelievable how much I have improved in the art of turntablism through experimentation of hallucinagenics while scratching. Instead of being forced to scratch on levels of technicallity I am able to allow myself develope and adapt a style outlining the embodiment of creativity.Although, without bieng fundementally sound I believe not as much advancement would have been made. I noticed such an increase of creativity, because I'm not scratching soley for myself, but I'm speaking a language which is univerally interpreted by beings I would have not known existed. They are the force providing the language: my hands are just experiencing their phenomenon. It is amazing what can be done with two turntables and a crossfader!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

hey mr.e it's cool to hear you are involved in the music...and how you communicate it to others.Posted Image

really wish i was there musically.

I'd love to check out some of your mixes,I'll pm you.

what do you like to spin the most or do you juggle beats?

another question for any who remembers the early eighties.

when did you guys first hear a scratch?

in the documentary scratch everyone says they first saw or heard a scratch in herbie hancock's "rock it" but for me it was before rock it with that song by rickie d(slick rick) and doug e fresh i can't remeber the name,but it went like this"six minutes,six minutes,six minutes doug e fresh your on,on on on ..."then the scratch in the background that went into the inspector gadget song then the beat boxing after by doug e was sick.

I'll find out what the song is and post it.

#27 Guest_psycho_*

Guest_psycho_*

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:40 AM

I can't believe i forgot it was "the show" by doug e fresh and the get fresh crew.

and you can't forget ladi dadi.

a question for anyone out there.

has anyone heard some dj out of new york(maybe dj premiere i think) that made some mixes of seventies tracks...he mixed blondies "rapture" and stealers wheel's "stuck in the middle with you" along with others I can't remember at the moment....heard it on my local public radio station but i can't remember who it was.does anyone know?

#28 Guest_mr.e_*

Guest_mr.e_*

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:53 AM

Pyschonaut, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it was you who posted that amazing thread of the pioneers of hip hop. I loved every minute of it, and still have it saved to my documents. The piece was very refreshing and inspiring. In short it was fr-fr-ffresh.
I vividly recall slick the ruler and doug e fresh's inspectah gadget masterpiece. 'Soon as I heard Grandmixer DST say he invented the scratch I immeadiatly thought back to Doug e Fresh and Marley Marl, which I recall hearing before Herbie Hancock's famous scratch solo. I believe the date Herbie Hancock's Future shock was released was in '83. I believe the Rickie D and Doug e Fresh Inspectah Gadget single was produced in limited quantities in '82.
Phychonaut, It is great reminiscing back to Hip hop's golden era, and I appreciate your knowledge of the foundation of a marvelous art form. I recall way back in the day when I had no knowledge of hip hop; whatsoever, I'd waltz into the local record shop and would have to dig through rock 'n roll and try to find an album cover with Black man sporting a fat gold chain. The C.D. must have had the words: funky, fresh, rap, or phat. Bieng in a small town it was very hard to find anything besides rock at the time. My mother would have to walk me up the cashier and purchase the album for me, because the man had to give her the precautions of how this Black art form would be hazardous to her middle school aged kid. Those were the days. In '87 My ma bought me the Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill. I took it as a major slap in the face and refused to listen to it, because of the white rappers on the front LOL. About a year later that was one of my favorite albums!!
As a response to your question of what do I spin. I spin anything my first love being that of the golden era of hip hop followed by , breeak beats, funk, raggae, rock, I love all music. It is unfortunate I have to spin what the local venue owner orders me to ( top 50 hits) but I'll do what ever pays the bills and add my own flavor to the overly played out songs. Yes, I do love to beat juggle it is great orchestrating a song out of a structurized set of rhythms, it is also key in transitioning to my next song.
I really appreciate your knowledge for good music it is very hard to come by, and unfortunately gives hip hop a misconception it will die with.
Bieng a vinyl junkie is a very addictive/costly habit, basically I'll pour all the money I make from both my day job and D.J. gigs into buying new pieces of vinyl
; however, I take pride in all of the records I own.
Keep it real,
Dj Mr.E

#29 shroomman21

shroomman21

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:59 PM

what all would i need to make techno music ,and whats a cheap set of turntables i can get so i can just start off

#30 Guest_mr.e_*

Guest_mr.e_*

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:49 AM

are you talking producing techno or spinning techno. If you are talking about producing you'd probably want to get a synth that is also a phrase sampler, also depends on what kind of techno you plan to make. give me more info about the sub-genre of techno you like to make, techno is so broad and production techniques vary from style to style, and I'll be able to recommend gear. If you are interested in spinning techno and are just starting out I'd reccomend a turntable package stater kit. You can get them anywhere from 300-700 dollars. Stanon and gemini have been known to suite beginners well. I'd recommend getting a starter kit, they're cheap and will include everything you need( tables, mixer, cartridges, and headphones, some even come with miny monitors.
Please let me know what it is your looking to do.
I'll be glad to help.
Pi da di da di da di da peace ya'll

#31 Guest_psycho_*

Guest_psycho_*

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:27 PM

you guys ever hear of pete dj jones?

I barely read about him yesterday.

he was the first person to play two copies of the same record.

a real pioneer of turntablism.

I posted a story he wrote on "how hip hop emerged" as well as an interview of him.

check it out,this guy is the real deal he was spining vinyl since the 50's.
http://www.mycotopia...html?1093490205

#32 Guest_psycho_*

Guest_psycho_*

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:34 PM

and hey MR E

about the the first time i heard a scratch,I kept forgeting about grand master flash's "Adventures on the wheels of steel".put out in 1981.

I think i heard that first before the limited copies circulating of "the show" back in 82-83.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!