• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Skizsm420

Skizsm420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Lately I've been listening to a lot of electronic music. I've always been a fan, but have been pretty picky and feel that a lot of electonic music just sounds too generic. That said I've been expanding my horizons & have been finding a lot of kickass music. Lately I've been listening to Feed Me's new album:

[Direct Link]

Also up there on my list:

Bassnectar
Skrillex
12th Planet
Excision
Datsik
Etc. . .

So. . . Let's hear some sick new dub/edm!:rasta:

#2 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:41 AM

I've dabbled in electronic music for years, first getting into it through Massive Attack, Tricky, Bjork, Portishead and similar artists. Now I'm obsessed with Shpongle and similar things(there aren't many things similar to Shpongle lol)

Shpongle and Younger Brother are amazing. Ott is also quite fucking awesome. Pretty Lights has some great stuff too.
Shpongle:

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Younger Brother:

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Ott:

[Direct Link]

http://youtu.be/V_LuQvTiVfg
Pretty Lights
http://youtu.be/QARi2rhUsTs
http://youtu.be/6nS1rcSo8oI

I've also just started listening to PhuturePrimitive and have enjoyed what I've heard so far. I also search out anything else related to Simon Posford. He started out DJing as Hallucinogen and has some amazing trance music under that name.

#3 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

People have to check out Pretty Lights remixes too, insane!! Just listen to them and be surprised... lol

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

http://youtu.be/UMmJtEH75X0
http://youtu.be/vou6F9Q2u6Q
  • Shadowlord likes this

#4 D.REYx420

D.REYx420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

I agree with you I am me I love all of those but I hat skrillex that's exactly what I feel as generic and Catskills is shitty excision to me I love the sound of figure it almost make me cry. I love my energetic drumb and bass though it counter acts my sped up thought process and ADHD but I wld love to venture into some new dnb as I hate dubstep and it's shitty hip womps I allow a very lil wompyness only in some good ass dnb.

#5 D.REYx420

D.REYx420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Shitty auto correct I meant datsik not Catskills lol

#6 Skizsm420

Skizsm420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

I'm a Shpongle convert lol. I've got to admit I wasn't really a fan until one night after enjoying some mimosa tea. Shpongle just didn't make sense to me until then, but it's so organic & flat out trippy. I had the best Oral DMT experience I've had so far that night, and it really seems like it was Shpongle that kicked it into gear for me. I also recently discovered pretty lights & am an immediate fan, good shit.

Really I just love music in general, and love finding new music(new to me, I don't care if it's "new" or not). I wasn't a dubstep fan at first, it's just so different that I sortof had to learn to listen to it if that makes sense. That said I feel the same way about it as I do punk in that so much of it is just generic shit that someone half assed just to jump on the bandwagon but if you dig through the shit there are definitely some good songs/artist to be found. One thing I don't like about dubstep is that it seems to be taken over by teeny boppers(if that's still a relevant word lol) & being watered down because of all of the people who like it(or don't) just because other people like it(or don't).

Let's keep this flowing, I'm sure there are a shit ton of good artists that a lot of us haven't heard of yet. One that comes to mind for me that I heard about here is STS9. Gotta love 'em.

#7 D.REYx420

D.REYx420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yea lookup dk figure man you will shit your pants he calls it drumstep.mme and my friends listened to our fair share of dubstep but the wops got old fast and now mostly drum and bass and then spacy cool chill music for different situations. I have been getting into tycho and such similar artists look into him. P.s. I like the feed me almost stopped when I heard the intro but I gave it a chance it's some good shit

#8 McDozd

McDozd

In this moment

• Expired Member
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Shpongle and Younger Brother are amazing. Ott is also quite fucking awesome. Pretty Lights has some great stuff too.

:thumbup:

#9 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,928 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

Bassnectar kicks ass, I especially like his albums, "Divergent Spectrum" and "Wildstyle" a lot. "Timewave" and "Underground Communication" are good too.
Love Pretty Lights. Liquid Stranger has some good stuff. Also might check out Vibesquad, Cookie Monstah or Dr.P
Pendulum sounds good too.

#10 fabrique

fabrique

Storyteller

• Expired Member
  • 852 posts

Donator

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Aes Dana
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

ASURA

[Direct Link]

Entheogenic

[Direct Link]

Liquid Soul

[Direct Link]

Madboojah Project

Hilight Tribe

[Direct Link]

Infected Mushroom

[Direct Link]

Kick Bong

Hol Baumann
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKATOLXFOw

Carbon Based Lifeforms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8G0zHMuwg

#11 BoobooKittyFK

BoobooKittyFK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

I thought I'd share some of my favorite dubstep (it might not all sound like it, but that's what they label themselves under, at least!)

Two Fingers--"Fool's Rhythm"

[Direct Link]

The Glitch Mob--"Fortune Days"

[Direct Link]

Downlink--"Crippled Camel"

[Direct Link]

Nero--"Innocence"

[Direct Link]

Spor--"Pacifica (Chasing Shadows Remix)"

[Direct Link]

I left a lot of because they were already mentioned. A good way to find new stuff is to use Pandora (it's free and online). I have a channel named "dubstep" that exposes me to tons of good stuff. :)

#12 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

I also dig this side project called pANTRAID. They have a tune called get the money that is fucking awesome.

[Direct Link]

#13 Skizsm420

Skizsm420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

ROFL Booboo, did you click the link from the first song that says "What Dubstep sounds like to your parents?". f'n awesome. I think that's what it sounded like to me the first time I heard it, but it was some really filthy dubstep and I was out of my gourd. I listen to pandora to the point that I may as well pay to upgrade to Pandora one. I work from home & have it playing in the background a lot of the time. I found out a while back that they actually have a listening limit lol. They cut me off!

#14 BoobooKittyFK

BoobooKittyFK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

ROFL Booboo, did you click the link from the first song that says "What Dubstep sounds like to your parents?". f'n awesome. I think that's what it sounded like to me the first time I heard it, but it was some really filthy dubstep and I was out of my gourd. I listen to pandora to the point that I may as well pay to upgrade to Pandora one. I work from home & have it playing in the background a lot of the time. I found out a while back that they actually have a listening limit lol. They cut me off!

Ha! That WAS awesome! I know I used to hear about it from my Mom no matter what I listened to even as an adult!
Megadeth: "Turn that noise down!"
My Dying Bride: "Jesus! That's depressing! Turn it down!"
Rammstein: "They're not even speaking English! Turn it down!"
Aphex Twin: "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!"
Three Six Mafia: "You like aggressive music, don't you? Turn it down!"
Combichrist: "What the hell is that? I feel like I'm at a club! Turn it down!"
Dubstep: "It all sounds like garbage!" XD

I'm just fortunate that I live with my own family so I don't have to hear that. :P

But when I first heard dubstep it was by chance. I finally came to terms with the fact that I liked house, so I wanted some to share with my husband. I found a file called "Dubstep". It's been my favorite companion when I'm off on my journeys since. :)

I haven't hit my limit with Pandora yet...now, my hard drive is ANOTHER story!

#15 Skizsm420

Skizsm420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Here's one that makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside:

I'm liking pretty lights more the more I listen to them.

#16 ucsforce

ucsforce

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

very interesting music indeed!

#17 Hypervision

Hypervision

C'est la vie

• Free Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

#18 cym

cym

Forming Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

some shpongle is good but its not as good as what i expected from all the rave commentary ive seen on mycotopia.
its good...but not that good IMO.

that dude Hallucinogen has some pretty dope shit though.

@ Skism...check out DJ Hidden

Prayers End:

[Direct Link]

another dope track to look for is The Painted Stage.
this guy is sick hands down though, most of his material is of a caliber beyond.

#19 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

some shpongle is good but its not as good as what i expected from all the rave commentary ive seen on mycotopia.
its good...but not that good IMO.

that dude Hallucinogen has some pretty dope shit though.

@ Skism...check out DJ Hidden

Prayers End:

[Direct Link]

another dope track to look for is The Painted Stage.
this guy is sick hands down though, most of his material is of a caliber beyond.

Honestly, I think you need to revisit and REALLY give it another listen. Songs like Stamen of the Shaman, When Shall I Be Free, I Am You, Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness, Divine Moments of Truth, Ineffable Mysteries, No Turn-Unstoned, Nothing is Something Worth Doing, Dorset Perception and so much more.

I only say this because I thought like you did at one point in time. I realized I was trying to skip around to find cool songs or whatever. Then one night I was tripping on a lot of LSD and put in the CD Nothing Lasts but Nothing is Lost and that changed my whole perception. I honestly think regardless of if you enjoy the music or not, Shpongle is some of the best produced electronic music to ever exist. The things the guy can do with synths and samples is astounding, blending music from basically every corner of the world. I think its easy to overlook Shpongle because their music is something that you really have to pay attention to take it all in. I really like his work as Hallucinogen as well but to me the more straight forward music just doesn't do it for me. I really dig the fusion aspects of Shpongle, mixing everything from Drum N Bass to Indian classical music. After seeing the Shpongletron live, Shpongle has stole my heart. lol

#20 cuts

cuts

The Pope of Dope

• Expired Member
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Modstep is another good one. Rusko as well, Chase and status play mostly dnb but some dubstep.

[Direct Link]

Oh and iv never figured out how to upload links onto this site :dead:.... so if you can help that would be nice. Thank you.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!