• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

i think i could get my hands on some horse poo if i look hard enough.

if i got the fresh i mean like 48hours fresh, what would i do with it?

let it sit, pasterise it(i'd pc it because im thinking of doing jars)

would i add verm do allow room for the myc to grow and to store water for later?

#2 koreanindica

koreanindica

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

yopu dont want fresh poo. you want it aged and leeched by rain. it should look kinda light and more like compact dead grass than poo

#3 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

i have some multi purpose compost that i've had lying around, i prob wont be able to use this, but will use it in 2 jars anyway to see if it works

what would i do if i got fresh horse poo?

pile it in the garden, turn it every week, add water and let it compose?

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

Lie it in a place where sunlight can get to it easily. Just allow the weather to do the work for you. It won't take long for it to dry out so it's suitable for use.

#5 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

how long roughly because im going to be ready to innoc in two weeks?

how would i make cakes with these, would i just put the horse poo (with some undigested straw in there) in jars pc them then innoc.

im going to pc because im going with jars as i have no idea how to do casing, and dont want to mess it up.

#6 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

Are you going to innoc using MS?

Correct me if Im wrong, Ive never done these experiments.
Im pretty sure someone told me that spore germination on poo or straw takes a long time and is fairly prone to comtamination in that long waiting period.

If say to PC and innoc some grains instead.

That was you can dry out your poo and then when the grains are ready, you can do a spawning run to poo/straw. Just a thought......

#7 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

doesn't pcing kill everything

maybe if i soak for 24 hours ring out oven it for a bit to dry it out, add some verm then pc it and then innoc it might work. if not im going to forget about poo since it seems way to complecated when i can easily do many invitro jars and 6 cakes in an terraniam

i'll leave poo for later ono when im more advanced

#8 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

well from what I remember, when my friend tried jars of PCed poo it turned out to form a VERY thick cake. It took a few weeks to show signs of growth and then took awile to colonize. Once taken out of the jars, they contaminated within two weeks without showing more then small aborts. It was later found out that the inside of the cakes didnt get any colonization. It was simply too thick a mix.

Then again, it might have been his mixture that lead to failure

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

how long roughly because im going to be ready to innoc in two weeks?

how would i make cakes with these, would i just put the horse poo (with some undigested straw in there) in jars pc them then innoc.

im going to pc because im going with jars as i have no idea how to do casing, and dont want to mess it up.

2 weeks should work as long as the manure is in direct sunlight and spread out thin. Hosing it down with water once a day will help.

For some reason i've never had much luck inoculating horse manure for cakes. It may have been my mistake with the water content though. They started out fine and then ended up stalling. I've only tried a couple of 1/2 pints, so who knows. I've heard of other people having the same result. Just make sure your water content is good with the manure. IMO, i'd inoculate some brf cakes to use for spawning the manure. Pasteurizing manure is very easy and cakes make excellent spawn. Don't be affraid to try a cased bulk using manure. It's simple.

#10 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

I would let the shite sun dry for like a week then it should be pretty leached by then.... of course longer would be better. I would highly recommend going to your local mart around there and picking up some WBS (wild bird seed). The WBS poo combo will work better for ya i think. IME straight poo doesnt work as good as a mixture..... for jars.

Prepping the WBS is simple. Rinse the hell out os them to get all the dust and crap off, do a soak for like 18-24 hours, rinse again, Boil for 6-10 minutes, Strain in a collander for a a few mins and its ready to go.

Get the poo to field capacity and mix it in with your WBS. Could also add a pinch of lime for every jar.

This is just one of hundreds of ways you could do this. Hope it helps to give you an idea.

Peace

-Ped

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

Hmmm. I'm kinda having a slow day so, i'll try the manure cake again for the hell of it and will post it here.

#12 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:45 PM

good man lazlo, im interested in seeing how it works. I always figured if one was going to make a hpoo jar they would innoc w/ an lc or agar wedge... some form of living mycelium instead of multispore.

#13 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

would popcorn work as well?

#14 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

i thnik im going to make a glove box as well, to decrease the risk of contamination

#15 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:22 PM

good man lazlo, im interested in seeing how it works. I always figured if one was going to make a hpoo jar they would innoc w/ an lc or agar wedge... some form of living mycelium instead of ms.

I used a 12cc ms inoculation for the previous jar and it started out nicely but, stalled a few days after germination. After inspecting the manure, it was dry.
here's the new jar. There's nice rhizos starting to form, which is a good sign.http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26498&stc=1&d=1148578751

Lots of rhizos in just a few hours. I think I should've went with the 100cc's of water rather than 120. :shy:

Attached Thumbnails

• hmcake1.jpg

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

The thought that a PC run will kill everything is very common...and very wrong. Some contaminants are basically just severely stunned but will come back, given sufficient time.

This is why people incubate and do everything else they can to speed colonization. This is why people try to inoculate as soon as possible after the jars cool. Even in a PCed jar, your myc is racing against contaminants.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

good poo
http://mycotopia.net...08&d=1130544036

#18 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

Build a glove box first, knock up a few jars of some cooked, pc'ed grain. Select your best jars with ropey growth.. Make a few tyvek lids. do a g2g for shit and giggles, why not? with you best 2 jars.. Either you fail then you have you other jars. Or you win, then you WIN! haha

Then you have a week to wait.. So read a lot.. there are a LOT of proven teks written up here . Search the vaults and all... having a grain to start the spores off on will make life easier the grain i is more nutritous.

#19 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:42 PM

Sometimes my foaf freind gets fresh poo. He leaves it to stand but if cant, lets it soak in water for 2 0r 3 days to soak out the urine and let spores etc. start germinating. He then rinses its off a few times.. MIxing with high pressure of hose. Rinse pour, rinse, pour, etc.. Works just as well as the aged stuff. This works for mouldy poo too but my foaf doesn't recommend it haha. Sometimes he lime baths it but not necessary. Then pastuerises for 3 hours no less. Usually 4 or 5.. Contams come with less he finds.

#20 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

Proper method is to make a big pile of poo and let it compost. Turn it every couple days and after a couple weeks it will be like hi-test soil. This is a bulk substrate, not normally done in little jars. It's done in bins and the compost is innoculated by adding already colonized grain. Follow this method and you will have huge cops of big mushrooms.

Most farms pile the horse poo in one place after they clean the stables. Find that pile, inside lies the best compost, already to be used.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!