SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hello Peeps,

it's me again :lol:

Tonight I'll just post pics of my first extraction, straight to base, later on I'll explain later on what I did and why.

Without further adooo...

The recipe this tek was based upon : Noman's Tek.
Erowid Noman's Tek.jpg

The workmess (kitchen)
The whole mess.jpg

Some ingredients : distilled water, NaOH, vinegar (to neutralize NaOH in case of accident), hexane (non polar solvent, no naphta available in EC for 2 years) and sodium bicarbonate (for later washings)
Bicarbonate de soude.jpg

A scale which measured 50gr of powdered MHRB
Balance.jpg

50g of NaOH were mixed slowly in 750ml H2O, then the MHRB was added and thourougly mixed.
Soupdezoom.jpg

Then 3 pulls with 50ml hexane each, approx 30ml was removed from the flask and put in the freezer at -30C for 30 minutes.
Fond du pot.jpg

1st & 2nd pull combined : 80mg of white crystaline powder :amazed:
Pull 1 and 2.jpg

Third pull : 160mg of yellowish crystaline powder :amazed:
3rd pull spice 160mg.jpg

And the 4th pull is still resting and shaked regularly till sunday.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3rd pull.jpg
  • Eau.jpg
  • Hexane.jpg
  • La soupde base.jpg
  • Mix.jpg
  • Premier filtre.jpg
  • Soude.jpg
  • Vinaigre.jpg

Edited by SillyCone, 24 February 2012 - 11:23 PM.

• ucsforce, morfin-56 and benderislord like this

#2 MungoFungo

MungoFungo

THE Un-Governable FORCE

• OG VIP
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Great............see YOU IN STORMING THE GATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm still waiting for more info from my chemist friend, he's very happy with our results, but he wanted to study more about further purification, as the last batch was a tad yellowish...

Also, I'm scared...

Could any experimented extractor tell me what he thinks about my extracts ?

Edited by SillyCone, 25 February 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#4 Deemster

Deemster

Don't forget a towell!

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

yes. and your crystals look great. the yellow is just tree fats and what not. Its safe to smoke as is. as long as you did the washes, it should be good. the yellow will separate from the white if you recrystallize with heptane (bestine, go to micheals craft shop). also if you evap slowly and just leave it be in a closed container for a few days the crystals will get realllllly big and make you very happy. just look up heptane recrystallization on myco search bar, and you will find all sort of posts with better details on it.

#5 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

you may also have the xylene option for re-Xing as well...that would be a bit better for removing the yellow "butter spice"..though there is NOTHING wrong with it as is ;) good write up,great work and nice X-tals :)

#6 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

yes. and your crystals look great. the yellow is just tree fats and what not. Its safe to smoke as is. as long as you did the washes, it should be good. the yellow will separate from the white if you recrystallize with heptane (bestine, go to micheals craft shop). also if you evap slowly and just leave it be in a closed container for a few days the crystals will get realllllly big and make you very happy. just look up heptane recrystallization on myco search bar, and you will find all sort of posts with better details on it.

Wow, thanks. I know we're not supposed to shoot the messenger, but can we kiss him ? :love:

I haven't done the washes yet, I will soon. I have sodium bicarbonate but read it was enough to heat it to turn it to sodium carbonate.
No michael's craft shop here in Europe, but I went to my local chemistry shop with my usual GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and got out with a few more glassware and chemiware : a crystalization dish, a 150mm petry dish for smaller quantities and a small 1L separatory funnel for the glass, and hexane, heptane, phosphoric acid 75% and dichloromethylene (DCM). I still have my old 2L funnel, and last time I went to the chemist, I had gotten 1L of diethyl ether, 0.5L of xylene, 2Kg of NaOH and 200g of sodium bicarbonate.

DSC_8322.JPG

I hope I have a bit of everything to try different methods of extraction, washing and recrystalization...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_8293.JPG
  • DSC_8321.jpg

#7 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

What was that a 100g extraction?
Hexane is expensive, why not pull with xylene and recrystallize with a small amount of hexane?
VS. pulling with hexane and re-x with hexane.
After you re-x the jungle you will get all white.

#8 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

No, that was a 50g extraction out of 1700g HSRB powder... I should have used more water and more NaOH as the powder is very fine.
Why not pull with xylene ? A number of reasons : xylene is more toxic (cancer) than hexane, smells more, I read in a few well known teks that it would pull also a red pigment, and it's not much cheaper than hexane here in Belgium : I paid 6€ for a liter of xylene and 9€ for 1L of hexane.
I worked with ether before (cannabis oil extraction), but I liked much more to work with hexane, it was much less messy and smelly. And just having the bottle of xylene in my office for a day, sealed, left a tenacious ethereal smell.
I talked with my chemist friend today and he said that cyclohexane should even work better for that kind of extraction, but that he was very pleased the way it turned out with hexane. I don't mind paying 3€ more for a liter of hexane with all those advantages... I'd rather use xylene only if it's the best suited chemical for a determined operation, and all the chemistry associated with DMT extraction is still quite new to me...

Tomorrow I'll build a funnel holder in MDF, as I couldn't find easily a real one in metal.

Edited by SillyCone, 28 February 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#9 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Still researching to build my funnel support, but today I also ordered a Glass Bat Vapor Genie for my spice tasting :D
The Glass Vapor Genie is only available on the producer's webshop : http://www.vaporgeni...tml<br /><br />It's my 4th vaporiser, this time it better be perfect...
After the original Volcano 4 years ago, the iolite original and the Da Buddah Vaporizer last year, I'm still smoking joints with tobacco...

But of course, the Vapor Genie will be limited to DMT, so who knows I might start using the other vapes for weed... I just have to get rid of my addiction to tobacco...
The silly thing in this situation is that I don't even smoke cigs by themselves, only in joints, and that's the reason I'm addicted to joints...

[edit]
I've been asked by PM to post a few URLs of use for first time extractors.

One of the best sources of info I found as a starting point, is DMT-Nexus. 2 pages in particular from their wiki :
- Extraction Teks : http://wiki.dmt-nexu...:Extraction_Tek
- DMT Extraction Overview : http://wiki.dmt-nexu...action_Overview (Noman's Tek is linked over there, but can be found at Erowid also)

And of course, the search function and the Vaults here on Mycotopia !

Edited by SillyCone, 28 February 2012 - 04:04 PM.
adding links

#10 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

60mg from the 6th pull... Still pulling...

Approx. 0.5g from 50g MHRB on first try, I think the source is quite good... With more experience, I should be able to pull at least 1.2% I believe. On the pic, I combined the pulls by colour.

DMT pots.jpg

Happy. Glass VG has been shipped, am waiting for it to try the DMT.

Next time I'll try either with more water, or an A/B extraction so I can get rid of the MHRB powder. Also I'll wash the hexane with sodium carbonate in the small separatory funnel before the freeze precipitation, and also recrystalize the results with heptane. And I'll do all my pull with a glass pipette instead of plastic syringe (a PITA as hexane expands in the chamber and everywhere, so the plunger is harder and harder to move...)

#11 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

I just put some left overs in a joint... Not much effect but I do feel a bit weird :amazed:

#12 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Any prior experience? Nothing like loading up a 'base pipe' and just taking one or two huge rips that you hold in for a bit. Can you say Orbit? :D

Looks good Silly, nice job. I look forward to more updates - looks like you are getting nicely set up.

#13 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

No, I've never tried spice before... As soon as I got the vapor genie... *scared*

Yes things are coming along nicely, the whole process is becoming clearer and clearer in my head, I guess I'll write a little tutorial with the products available to me in Belgium (no naphta in Europe anymore) and with details that are always missing from the usual Teks... It's going to be an extensive write up.

#14 asscore

asscore

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Wow, thanks. I know we're not supposed to shoot the messenger, but can we kiss him ? :love:

I haven't done the washes yet, I will soon. I have sodium bicarbonate but read it was enough to heat it to turn it to sodium carbonate.
No michael's craft shop here in Europe, but I went to my local chemistry shop with my usual GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and got out with a few more glassware and chemiware : a crystalization dish, a 150mm petry dish for smaller quantities and a small 1L separatory funnel for the glass, and hexane, heptane, phosphoric acid 75% and dichloromethylene (DCM). I still have my old 2L funnel, and last time I went to the chemist, I had gotten 1L of diethyl ether, 0.5L of xylene, 2Kg of NaOH and 200g of sodium bicarbonate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]258568[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]258569[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]258570[/ATTACH]

I hope I have a bit of everything to try different methods of extraction, washing and recrystalization...

So fucking jealous that you can just walk into a shop and walk out with reagent grade chems and glassware. We have chemical supply houses, but if I went into one and asked for just about anything you just purchased I would have the DEA throwing grenades through my windows in a matter of hours.

I need to move to Belgium.

They didn't have a stand for the sep funnel at the shop?

#15 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

So fucking jealous that you can just walk into a shop and walk out with reagent grade chems and glassware. We have chemical supply houses, but if I went into one and asked for just about anything you just purchased I would have the DEA throwing grenades through my windows in a matter of hours.

I need to move to Belgium.

They didn't have a stand for the sep funnel at the shop?

No, they didn't have a stand... But after all, I don't really need it, except maybe for future washing with sodium carbonate before the freeze precip, and then it should separate so fast that it could be hold by hand.

About the reagent grade chems, well, it's the first time I'm less restricted for something than you guys in the US... My All American 1925 import has cost me over 400€ (over 500USD) because of the stupid customs... But we also have stupid cops that don't even know DMT exists, and probably thousands of underground labs producing MDMA and RCs for the rave parties (techno music and goa/trance are HUGE in Belgium).

You can sleep in my greenhouse once the weather is warmer ;)

#16 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ok so I eventually did at least 10 pulls but only the first 5-6 were worth my while. For the last ones, I even shaked the erlen (1000ml) pretty good, no emulsion formed, and yield was better. Spice was yellowish (lightly) but looks quite pure as expected as everything was done very carefully with the help of my friend who's a professional chemist.

I initially wanted to make an extensive tutorial for newbies like myself, and had written quite some text, when I realized the DMT Nexus FAQ explained it much better than I had tried... So maybe I'll just do some cut & paste with the relevant bits to the Tek I'm using. But before that, I'll document my next extraction in my usual style (very verbal if you followed both my other grows - shrooms & weed, linked in my sig).

Sooo... I just started a new extraction.
This time, I used the following proportions :
- 1000ml D H2O
- 40g NaOH
- 40g MHRB powder
I'll leave it be until tomorrow (last time I only waited 30 minutes before the first pull) and then I'll do around 6 pulls with 60ml hexane that I'll combine and wash with sodium carbonate before freeze precipitating at -30°C for the night, and then recrystalize with heptane.

#17 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'll do around 6 pulls with 60ml hexane that I'll combine and wash with sodium carbonate before freeze precipitating at -30°C for the night, and then recrystalize with heptane.

Snow globe!

#18 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Snow globe!

That's the goal :amazed:

I couldn't wait till tomorrow, so I did my first pull after 2 hours. The temperature of the erlen had dropped to room temp. I already did one pull that I couldn't resist and put in the freezer. Now that I think about it, I'll put it in the fridge till tomorrow when I wake up, then I'll put it in the freezer...

[edit] I ended up doing 3 pulls before going to bed. When I went to take the jar out of the freezer 15 minutes after putting it in, there were loads of white crystals already... I added the next 2 pulls and the crystals dissolved again. Now they're in the fridge, tomorrow at wake after bake, they'll go in the freezer, just to see if the crystals get bigger at this stage already...

Edited by SillyCone, 05 March 2012 - 01:35 AM.

#19 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

I am not sure about your -30 freezer ( it can only help ) but fridge first is a great idea. And longer periods in the freezer (12-24 hours ) helps a lot.

#20 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

I am not sure about your -30 freezer ( it can only help )

What do you mean ? Surely it can't be too cold, can it ?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!