- - - - -

Permaculture

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:06 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

for the sake of your pet's safety, do not feed a live rat to any animal, not even a snake<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
you make a decent point
but it's not always possible.
my chinese water dragon [lizard] won't touch dead food, he'll only eat what he kills himself.
i'd say it depends on the animal,
if he'll eat his food cold
then great
but if not
then i guess he'll have to accept the occasional critter that fights back.

#22 banjojo

banjojo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:22 AM

A lot of snakes are like that, they only like food that is still breathing. Can't blame 'em, I like my veggies fresh from the garden.

#23 Guest_suckerfree_*

Guest_suckerfree_*

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

i'll be honest here... watching live prey get gobbled up is half the fun of owning exotic pets.
Posted Image

#24 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:27 PM

thinking what topic to put this but i felt it belonged here...(as well Posted Image )
i had a few male plants that i didn't want to use for breeding so i was thinking what to do with them. I could compost them but then i thought about my feathery friends.Birds seemt to have an affection for all things ganja, that is common knowledge here with the pigeonbreeders especially, so i've been feeding them the plants that had to go
joy !

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:44 PM

<font color="0000ff">Perfect place to post! I love it!!! Ok the bottom one is Marge the Rebel right? She's got, 'I'm a stoner' written all over her. What's the name of the one in the top pic? And is that the male? Because one of the chicks resembles that one.
That is too funny that they love the ganga! </font>

#26 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:46 PM

<font color="0000ff">Ok that's a hen if its the same one as at the beginning of this thread. Either way its beautiful! </font>

#27 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:10 PM

well,technically the one with the little ones on the pics is marge's sister but marge has followed her sister's example and started a nest of her own now and is hatching (?)for over a week already without ever leaving the nest. Maybe when i'm not around
the one on the first pic of last post is the rooster. A truly fine gentleman and friendly caracter.
in my youth, when starting out with acid and shrooms,(more than 30 yrs ago now)one of my main concerns was how to connect my tripexperiences in a meaningful way with the world and environment i was living in. There was no tradition or at least not one that i was aware of. we were creating our own subculture but i found that it was lacking depth and meaning,two things that could be found everywhere in the world where plants were used in a traditional context.
one thing common to all these existing traditions is that they are embedded in the whole way of life of these folks, a cultural heritage passed on by the elders.
one significant link between acid and traditional cultures was made at the time by our friend timothy leary with connecting the tibetan book of the dead to the acidexperience which i found very appropriate.
that's one of the reasons i like to mingle all plants, they all have their own powers and a division between legal and not is an invention of man and very influenced by the time and culture we live in. hemp is so much a part of countrylife that it is hard to imagine life without. i still remember when i was a kid that it was legal. people grew it everywhere ! then it became highly illegal with punishment harder than murder sometimes and nowadays in here it's ok to grow for own supply. the only thing that didn't change is the plant itself,well to tell the truth it came out stronger Posted Image.i can't base my values on things so futile as an idiot law made for who knows what reason ($$?)

end of sermon
Posted Image

#28 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

<font color="0000ff">Eartheasy

SoilFood

OrganicAgInfo

BioCycle

Beyond Pesticides

Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides

The New Farm

National Organic Program

Mother Earth News

National Association of Farmers Markets UK

Plants For a Future Database

Organic Gardening

Grow Your Own Organic Vegetables

Care2

Organic Pathways

Avant Gardening

Biodynamic Agricultural Assoc

Kindred Spirit

Soil Assoc

David Suzuki's site
</font>

(Message edited by sweetness on April 27, 2004)

(Message edited by sweetness on May 06, 2004)

#29 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:00 PM

great idea ,
some more...
Alternative Farming Systems Information Center at :
http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/
The National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service at :
http://attra.ncat.org/index.html
Soil, Compost and Mulch at :
http://forums2.garde...om/forums/soil/
Organic Gardening From Down Under at :
http://www.organicdo.../site index.htm
permaculture net at :
http://www.permacult...net/zone_1.html

#30 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

http://journeytoforever.org/index.html

#31 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:52 PM

a complete book on soil and micro organisms at
http://www.soilandhe...krasil.toc.html

#32 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:42 PM

a site about gardenfauna ,with some wav's from common gardenbirds ,i've used it to identify some birdsinging in the garden,a pity these aren't longer so one can hear the complex nature of their language ,as i love listening to their conversations while being in the garden
http://www.gardensafari.net/

#33 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

<font color="0000ff">This is a great link Myco! Perfect for this time of year. Posted Image </font>

#34 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:52 PM

i believe for permaculture to be effective one should know a lot about the fauna and flora that is naturally growing there in order to interact in a proper way,and an open mind Posted Image

#35 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:23 PM

<font color="0000ff"> American Solar Energy Society

Center for Renewable Energy and Technology

Hydrogen Energy Center

Hydrogen Energy Center Links Lot's of links on Sustainable Energy

Solar Energy International

Home Power

Independent Power and Light

Solar Industries Association

Solar Buzz

Solar Energy Laboratory

Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy

Energy Crossroads

Home Energy Saver

Solar Harvest

Other Power Great links!

Think Energy
Energy, Fuels and Power Generation</font>

Solar Today

Solar Sense Designs

New Energy

Solar House

Energy Ideas

The Energy Guy

Tom Elliot's Alternative Energy Information Center

<font color="0000ff">Powerball Technologies
'This company suggests using Sodium hydride and water reaction as a storage device for Hydrogen (NaH + H2O -> NaOH +H2 +heat. This NaOH can be recycled back into NaH or used else where in industry - Many products require NaOH in their production. This storage method seems to be promising since it doesn't require High pressure and low tempature tanks. '</font>

Nanosolar

(Message edited by sweetness on June 21, 2004)

#36 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:46 PM

<font color="0000ff">
PC House

Stormwater Mitigation

Great PC Links Page

Construction Concepts

Simple sawdust toilet

DIY Septic

Grewater Recycling

Home Appliance & System Topics

Straw Bale Plans

EarthenSun Links to Alternative Building Concepts

Strawbale Construction Links

Thatch

Sustainable.org</font>

Eco Building
<font color="0000ff">Patrick Carey, an architect in Seattle, has been doing a bunch of green-roofs. He and some others have been teaching what they've been learning through the NW Ecobuilding Guild.</font>

(Message edited by sweetness on June 21, 2004)

#37 Guest_sweetness_*

Guest_sweetness_*

Posted 05 July 2004 - 09:12 PM

<font color="0000ff">
Source: Newtopia Magazine online
Link

The Human Environment

by Christian Arial
When we say "Save the Earth" we really mean "Save the Humans." It is a statement of self-preservation. Humans have a responsibility to ourselves to not overwhelm the natural orders we derive our sustenance from. Due to rapid population growth, technological efficiency and resource dependency, we have become capable of driving ourselves to catastrophe. Even today, this comes as a surprise to many.

Image by Charles Shaw
"Concern for man and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors. Never forget this in the midst of your diagrams and equations."

--Albert Einstein

"Save the Earth." It's a common phrase and an assumed truth. You've purchased goods or services labeled "eco-friendly" and "environmentally responsible." What do these labels mean?

Chances are, you haven't saved anything, especially money. Heresy? I don't think so. I say, consumer purchases can't "Save the Earth," no matter what the packaging says. At best, these products might assuage guilt, offer a minimal amount of decreased impact and may potentially alter corporate behavior. While these shifts in behavior might lessen human impacts in minor ways, the purchase of consumer products can't "Save the Earth."

The Earth was here long before us. And, in all likelihood will be here long after us. It may come as a surprise to our human egos, but we're incapable of destroying the Earth. We're impotent when it comes to altering anything but the surface of the planet.

We might be depleting forests and driving species to extinction. We might be altering weather and melting the polar ice caps, but we're not killing the Earth. The Earth is a ball of molten matter dusted with biota and surrounded by gases. This ball is resilient and capable of longevity beyond our imagination. It has generated entire epochs containing ecosystems which have transformed or become extinct millennia before the arrival of humans. Humans (homo sapiens) are only a footnote in the Quaternary period of the Cenozoic Era. The appearance of our species is comparable to a blink of an eye in geological time. Comprehending geological time is difficult for us. Comprehending planetary time is even more difficult.

When we say "Save the Earth" we really mean "Save the Humans." It is a statement of self-preservation. Humans have a responsibility to ourselves to not overwhelm the natural orders we derive our sustenance from. Due to rapid population growth, technological efficiency and resource dependency, we have become capable of driving ourselves to catastrophe. Even today, this comes as a surprise to many.

Despite the consistent and vocal concern of the international scientific community, many national leaders and a majority of individual citizens remain in denial-as evidenced by the U.S. boycott of the Kyoto protocols, recent attempts to drill for oil in ANWR (The Alaska National Wildlife Refuge), the passage of the deceptively titled "Clean Air Act," the dilution of the "Clean Water Act," attempts to promote logging as fire prevention, rapid reduction of habitat due to human development, etc.

Ignoring human impacts on our environment won't make these impacts disappear, even if short-term economic benefits are the result of denial. We humans are a fragile species directly connected to a complex web of eco-systems. For all of our mental and technological advantages, we remain very ape-like. Although we like to think we're smarter, more capable and more important than other animals, observation proves otherwise. Birds display plumage. Gorillas pound chests. Rams butt heads. Whales sing. Lemmings follow each other off cliffs. Crows collect shiny things… All while maintaining their respective niches within the natural order of things. We humans have tendency to overwhelm our surroundings.

Stating that humanity can "save" anything on Earth but ourselves is preposterous. At the center of this faulty logic is the belief that humanity is capable of controlling or managing our planet. This anthropocentric view of the Universe is naïve. We've never been "in charge" of the Earth. We are the Earth's offspring, not it's masters. And, if we don't master ourselves soon, we could alter the complex biological systems that spawned us, to the point that these systems are incapable of sustaining us.

Somewhere along the line, ecology (a legitimate scientific discipline) was hijacked by commerce. And, all manner of hucksterism ensued. "Saving the Earth" somehow became a cheap ad campaign. Environmentalism came to mean purchasing the right products, engaging in recreational activities, wearing fleece and feeling smug. After all, "environmentalists" drive SUVs, drink specialty water, wear fleece jackets and listen to jam bands, right? Not necessarily.

A premium-priced chocolate bar from a company purporting to donate 1% of its net profits (after taxes, of course) to rainforest conservation isn't doing much for "the environment." The same could be said of the Eddie Bauer Explorer, the chlorine-free coffee cup cozy and the hemp bracelet.

It's time to dispense with the superficial and re-evaluate the assumed dogmas of the "environmental movement." We may not be able to "Save the Earth," but we might be able to save ourselves through behavior modification.

Although human populations now effect and endanger eco-systems through a variety of behavior, let's approach just one behavior-energy consumption. Humanity needs to begin thinking broadly about energy. It's no laughing matter. We're literally burning up our future. Denial, half-hearted attempts and small-scale solutions aren't solving the problems we've created.

Anyone who's paid at the pump lately recognizes the high cost of gas. And, anyone who's scrutinized the news over the last several decades knows oil plays a huge role in global environmental concerns, international politics, world economics and U.S. national security. Aside from Israel and the situation in Palestine, many intellectuals and journalists feel the greatest contributing factor to militant opposition to U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East is oil.

We need to begin thinking about transitional fuels and transitional lifestyles capable of weaning us off oil, gas and coal consumption. Fossil fuel energy is limited, will become increasingly expensive and will eventually disappear. If the World does not find alternatives to oil, gas, coal and other extractive energy sources, we will be forced to continue to wage wars on a number of fronts for a dwindling fuel supply.

I'm resigned to the fact that demand for energy will continue to increase, not decrease, in the short-term. So, the challenge is to develop realistic strategies to deal with the World's energy consumption. The obvious question for the near-future is, "What are the energy alternatives and how do we get them to market as quickly as possible?"

We can no longer "head to the hills" and pretend these concerns do not involve everyday life. The "frontier" is gone. Isolationist mentalities are simply no longer realistic. Globalization became our reality in the '90s. Inter-dependency between nations is increasing. We need to begin determining broad-based energy solutions with a sensitivity to both the local and global ramifications of our decisions. The fate of all humanity is now inter-connected. Our impacts extend beyond national borders and continents.

Energy Conservation

Conservation, while helpful, is not a complete solution. Less use, reuse, more efficient design and recycling can impact energy use. However, even people "off the grid" require energy. And, energy dependency is trending toward increased consumption.

While there are obvious benefits to human-powered transit (walking, bicycles, etc.), public transit (trains, buses, etc.) and renewables (wind, solar, etc.), current energy demands won't significantly change w/out a radical shift in economics, politics, planning, architecture, development, construction and lifestyle. To expect such a change overnight is delusional. Conservation can only compliment current and future alternative energy strategies.

Renewable Energy Sources

Wind, wave, water, solar, bio-fuel and geo-thermal power might eventually provide us with consistent large-scale sources of renewable energy, but in the short-term, technology and infrastructure are lacking.

A wind farm currently supplies the city of Palm Springs with its entire electrical energy needs. Windmills become more efficient and inexpensive every day, but the initial cost remains high. And, not every locale contains the right meteorological conditions to support wind power.

Wave power offers the promise of using the massive power of tides and waves to capture both advancing and receding ocean currents. This group of technologies is still in the formulative stages. And, while a considerable amount of energy could be derived from waves, some a potential drawback might be damage to sensitive shoreline eco-systems.

River-based hydro (water) power is the titan of renewable energy in the U.S. 97 percent of all renewable energy comes from hydro plants. Surprisingly enough though, only 3% of existing U.S. dams generate hydro power. Many existing dams could be retrofitted with turbines to generate power. And, aside from the obvious environmental impacts these water storage and recreation dams represent, tapping many existing dams would cause little additional impact, while yielding potentially major energy benefits.

Solar power might eventually satisfy most human energy needs. After all, the Sun (in concert with the Earth) directly or indirectly creates most biotic energy, including fossil fuels. Unfortunately, the research and technology required to utilize solar energy remains under funded and marginalized. Solar photovoltaic (battery) power is useful for localized remote applications and could possibly power cars in the future. Solar thermal power has been a reliable source of water heating for several decades. The future of large-scale solar concentrating stations in sunny climates is promising, but initially expensive.

Ethanol and bio-diesel seem like reasonable immediate substitute fuels for at least some automobiles, but widespread use is at least five years to a decade away. And, it remains to be seen whether the agricultural costs of bio-diesel and other plant-based fuels justify the switch from oil.

Biomass power plants now exist in the Northeast, Southeast and West. These plants keep waste vegetation (biomass) out of landfills through a super-heating process that converts biomass into gas or electrical power. But, growing biomass for fuel (aside from pre-existing agricultural waste) exacts high environmental and agricultural costs related to pesticides, erosion, cultivation and land use.

Geo-thermal power is currently relegated to areas with surface or near-surface geo-thermal activity. Areas with volcanic activity are obvious sources, but many of these locations are also relatively sensitive eco-systems and natural treasures-the Hawaiian Islands, Iceland, Yellowstone National Park, etc. Deep geo-thermal tapping could eventually provide an almost inexhaustible source of energy, but is not economically feasible now.

Many of these renewable energy sources are in current use and supplement fossil fuels. However, unless drastic consumer and policy changes occur in the immediate future, renewable energy sources cannot be viewed as large-scale replacements for coal, gas and oil.

A Heretical Alternative

At least one leader of the environmental movement has proposed a heretical alternative. James Lovelock, the author of the Gaia hypothesis, recently shocked environmental advocates by suggesting nuclear power as the only realistic way to halt global warming.

Widespread use of nuclear power is a controversial long-term option, but it should be objectively evaluated in the short-term as a potential stop-gap solution to stem the tide of global warming and reduce warfare surrounding oil.

Like any other source of fuel, nuclear power has advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages of nuclear power are widely known and highly stigmatized. But, are the stigmas objective? Lovelock and a group called Environmentalists for Nuclear Energy don't think so.

The disadvantages of nuclear power are well-known. Radioactive fuel and waste have exceptionally long half-lives. The possibility of a reactor breach poses risks of uncontainable contamination similar to the meltdown at Chernobyl. And, storage facilities for high-level waste are extremely limited. However, the advantages of nuclear power are real. Nuclear power could directly eliminate some undeniably ugly effects of fossil fuel consumption-CO2 emissions, particulate pollution, mining, drilling and spills. An additional, and by no means minor benefit of nuclear power would be a swift diffusion of oil-centered conflict (Gulf I, Afghanistan, Gulf II...). It might be time to look at nuclear power again.

Riding a bike to work, buying "green" products and pretending everything is okay isn't enough anymore. These steps might benefit individual health and well-being, but when evaluated over the breadth of all humanity, the effect of these isolated acts is negligible. The truth is, we either "get it together" as a species and begin to contain energy use and chose renewable fuel sources or we may find our species in a world of hurt. It's time for humans to recognize that saving our species by moderating our behavior is the best thing we can do for the Earth. </font>

#38 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

maybe nuclear power will have its APPROPRIATE use in a far future, just like oil
oil will be needed for a long time since far too many products are petrochem based, something like 70% of chem products if i remember correctly.
for transportation in a next century already it may be something of the past
maybe it is time for the oilbarons to get out the plans and ideas for oil alternatives, they bought over the years or is that just another myth ?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!