• Please log in to reply
712 replies to this topic

#41 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Sorry TIZ i cant help ya out ! still in the first phase of IDing myself.
But i do have a cacti i need to ID. Had this puppy for over two years. It was a small 8" cutting and started rooting before i got it into soil. I was told it was a cuz of T Pachanoi. Maybe active, very low if it is. Can anyone of the experts tell me exactly what i have. I like it very much and will be cut from it's root stock and replanted this growing season.
Any thoughts are welcomed !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0483.jpg
  • IMAG0484.jpg
  • IMAG0487.jpg

#42 tizoc4u

tizoc4u

Arragappa

• Free Member
  • 803 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

ive noticed that this way of posting gets more attention.... but i would love this to be moved towards the sticky....... i hope that more innovations for our section here at botanicals arise..........
thanks dooda....

#43 tizoc4u

tizoc4u

Arragappa

• Free Member
  • 803 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

i thought t pachnoi had short spines....

#44 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

Do we have an ID? Can we sticky this now?

#45 tizoc4u

tizoc4u

Arragappa

• Free Member
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

,,...... so many dumb people park in the side of my house to walk across the street to walmart... and i do have a shotgun and a pitbull........2 acres is alot to handle for one dog...

@ silverhair i think since noone else has anything to say i will go with either or ..........lets do this....

Edited by tizoc4u, 27 March 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#46 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

I thought it was in the new sticky.....
I got a little confused . Too meny brews and a few puffs !:hookah::special:
I'm quite the light weight these years !

Sucks Tiz has to deal with that kind of negitivity . Electric cattle fences work pretty well. Pluse you can find good cheap psrts and build your own solar system ! Solar Electric fence that is ! Shock the shit out dem bastards !:amazed::special::dead:
Yes the common garden verity has short spines. But from what i read some true coultivers have the longer spines the true gean pool. Like i said i have no real clue of whet it really is. It's i nice looking cactus. I like how dark green it is and the flesh ribs how deep
Also that top view shot looks cool !:cacti:

#47 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

When we find a name for this little one can we put it in the sticky :) ?

I grew this one from a mixed pack of seeds from the grocery store about 4 years ago I think it may be big enough for a name? ....

https://mycotopia.ne...44&d=1333287292

https://mycotopia.ne...45&d=1333287295
OOps a little big sorry ..

https://mycotopia.ne...46&d=1333287297

https://mycotopia.ne...47&d=1333287298

https://mycotopia.ne...48&d=1333287299

I had another one just like this one but I lost it .... have no idea where it went lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9215.JPG
  • IMG_9132.JPG
  • IMG_9177.JPG
  • IMG_9186.JPG
  • IMG_9208.JPG

#48 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Wow.....4 years of growth? SLOW is an understatement........... :teeth: There are SOOOOOOO many different cacti that I am humbly awed by my ignorance......maybe get the photo's into the cactus ID sticky thread after ID. I'm so new at this I would be simply guessing...... so here is one of the places where I go to start my search... http://cactiguide.com/ ....aside from running searches of the vaults here of course............ :cacti:

:kewl:

Edited by Arathu, 01 April 2012 - 09:49 AM.
Oh yeah

#49 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Not sure, I know they like to throw in giant sagauro seeds in there. Ive got two started. They also throw in hedgehog cacti in too. Sorry Im not familiar with the latin names and havent had enough coffee to look for them.
  • wildedibles likes this

#50 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Looking at my t. bridgesii seedlings the new areole have 6 little spines, I'm not sure how accurate, meaningful, or consistent that is just an observation....... here is another link I've been reading at. http://cactus.biolog...ca/biology.html

#51 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Lol I have used cactus guide got half way through the list
This is a young cactus so it is just starting to show it is getting taller not rounder so I thought I would start to id it this year
I like that other site too didnt know spines protect the cactus from sun cool and helps them collect moisture kinda thought this too collecting due a tiny bit of rain toward the roots to use the little bit of moisture to keep the cactus alive durring dry times
during wet times they will grow make use of the bounty of water and washed nutes during flood times

#52 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

One very interesting thing I remember from my little trip to the Middle East, I spent very significant amounts of time just living out in the desert as a soldier, was that almost every day just before the sun would come up the dew that would form on us literally soaked us down and then not very long after that you would dry up and crack! :teeth:

Another thing I see is the denser the weave of spines are over the cactus, the more it filters direct sun upon the plant's body. It is exactly why I used a piece of screen and also an opaque plastic lid to partially shade my babies from the lights. We have much to learn and GAIA/Mother will teach if we listen.

Oh this is good stuff here!

#53 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Spanishfly I was thinking that too but waiting this long for an id thought I would give it a try :)
I have been looking myself too through thousands of pictures getting frustrated babies look different than adults sometimes which makes it harder
I think it is a tall cactus but it maybe just a round one stretching for the light too

#54 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

you could narrow it down by finding the package at the store and looking at the listed species inside.

#55 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

They did not list the species on the pack or on their web site I already checked :)
thank you for the imput tho :)

#56 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hay wild,
I have a few baby giant sagauro going ATM. Yours kinda looks like mine. I'll post a pic when i get home ! Only thing is , the ones i have were germinated last summer and are about an inch tall already. The giant sagauro takes 15 years to flower i beleive. Also for the arms to form. Or it might be 15' tall i forget. I'll have to get my facts straight !
  • wildedibles likes this

#57 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,247 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hay wild,
I have a few baby giant sagauro going ATM. Yours kinda looks like mine. I'll post a pic when i get home ! Only thing is , the ones i have were germinated last summer and are about an inch tall already. The giant sagauro takes 15 years to flower i beleive. Also for the arms to form. Or it might be 15' tall i forget. I'll have to get my facts straight !

Sagauro can take longer than that to flower, and they grow arms only to re-balance the weight. You can trick them by re-orienting them slightly at an angle, and they will produce an arm to offset the weight balance.
Skywatcher
  • wildedibles and Neptunechild like this

#58 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I am thinking now it maybe 3 years old cause the other ones are older and I say 4 for them
So we will go with 3years old and i have a foggy brain lol
and it is just over an inch tall
that's a guess cause i cannot find my measure stick thingy lol

3 years one inch tall

#59 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

OK wild,
Here are those pix. First three are the Giant Saguaro. As said before, germinated last June.
The others are from a variety seed pack of south western US and south America.
The fat ones are barrel cacti. I had about twenty or so seed in that pack.
A Very small percentage germinated. I did not save the packaging so i don't know the genus or proper names !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0507.jpg
  • IMAG0511.jpg
  • IMAG0512.jpg
  • IMAG0508.jpg
  • IMAG0509.jpg
  • IMAG0510.jpg

#60 doodaa man

doodaa man

getting to know thyself

• Expired Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sagauro can take longer than that to flower, and they grow arms only to re-balance the weight. You can trick them by re-orienting them slightly at an angle, and they will produce an arm to offset the weight balance.
Skywatcher

I forget where i read the info. I do remember them saying that it takes the 15 years before it would flower, so i'm sure it could take longer. Also i do stand behind that 15 years before it will produce arms. Not sure if there are subspecies of them, but i have seen photos of them with arms at the same segment. There were like five or six arms at the same heigth.
I'll have to dig up them pic's. I just seen them a few days ago.
I know there is a potted sagauro about one foot tall for sale on EBay. But they wont ship , the buyer needs to pick it up at their place of buisness due to the weight !

Sorry for getting a little off topic !

Attached Thumbnails

• saguaro cacti.jpg
  • saguaro wperson.jpg

Edited by doodaa man, 01 April 2012 - 06:52 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!