706 replies to this topic

#701 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 631 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 10:42 AM

Then I guess it's a hybrd and not Peruvianus x)
  • bozefonce likes this

#702 meyer

meyer

Its better to burn out, than fade away...

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Posted Today, 10:48 AM

Thats exactly what I was thinking also, Neptune is the one of the local experts so we know he knows what he is talking about. I am getting a lot more familiar with cacti in general as it has nearly consumed my life for the last 6 months, over 2 years of growing but its really taken over all my free time, to a delight, I love working with them!

• bozefonce likes this

#703 bozefonce

bozefonce

peculiar star

• OG VIP
  • 648 posts

Donator

Posted Today, 11:03 AM

Is there any relatively unintrusive way to test for actives short of bioassay?

#rootbraintheory
  • meyer likes this

#704 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 631 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 01:13 PM

I am just guessing...it looks a lot like my T. Peruvianus...will post a pic later.
  • bozefonce likes this

#705 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Posted Today, 02:07 PM

Is there any relatively unintrusive way to test for actives short of bioassay?

I am also very interested in any quick and easy ways to test for alkaloids and the strenght of them in various forms of cacti... does anything exist that is not something only a high-tech lab could afford???

• bozefonce likes this

#706 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Posted Today, 02:58 PM

Lophophora decipiens rare cactus; kaktus kakteen cacti mammillaria - Active or Not?

I have heard contradicting agruements for both sides of this plant; the Magic Cactus website states "Originally described by Leon Croizat. L. Decipiens can be found near Torreon, and El Ampero, in the state of Coahuila Mexico on the top of surrounding high rocky peaks, although there hasn't ever been found any at such a location since the mentioning of this location. Said to be quite distinct from L.Williamsii by having a pronounceable ashy grey color and lacking noticeable rib formations. Instead, it has diamond shaped conical tubercles that are spiral in form similar to Strombocactus Disciformis, but with flowers the same as L.Williamsii. Mescaline and Pellotine concentrations are similar to that of L.Williamsii."

Please note the flower color in the second picture I got from the blog, clearly not the same as L.Williamsii.

While this blog states "I can only say that the plants live up to their name (decipiens meaning “deceiving"); then he goes on to site the following "Leon Croizat's description of Lophophora williamsii var. decipiens stated that the vegetative body of this variety was basally tubercled or with distinct podaria rather than ribs, and that the flower extended out of the top of the plant to a greater extent. This description was based entirely on an illustration in Britton and Rose, The Cactaceae volume 3, plate 10, figure 4 (see below). Some researchers, e.g. Anderson, have argued that these characters are not consistent enough in occurrence to justify separate taxonomic status while others, including Gerhard Köhres, state that plants corresponding to Croizat's description grow near El Amparo in the state of Coahuila, Mexico and should be counted to the Lophophora fricii complex."

Blog Source:  http://lophophora.bl...phora decipiens

So which is it, Active or not Active, cant have it both way can we?

Here is a picture of the Loph decipiens I am considering buying:

Lophophora decipiens

Loph decipiens picture from a blog flowering, note the flower resembles the color of the LW var Fricii, which is not active"

flowering lophophora decipiens 20090202

#707 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 631 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 04:01 PM

It's a form of Fricii belonging to the Diffusa group, I would not trust the claims of activity. And I would not buy the one on the first pic, unhealthy..if it's a good price, go for it and nurse it to perfection. Namaste

Edited by Neptunechild, Today, 04:03 PM.

• meyer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!