817 replies to this topic

#801 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:34 PM

Ok so I'm wondering if this green cactus is opuntia? I know the purple-ish one is, but the green one was just gifted to me from a friend who doesn't know what it is. I believe it is opuntia but I'm not an expert and i don't know for sure. Thanks in advance for any replies

Attached Thumbnails

• 15692705361718344276827855105310.jpg
  • 15692704917231640251721039823166.jpg

#802 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 249 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

That is an oppuntia. It's hard to tell which species though. Probably Oppuntia Ficus-indica.

#803 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:35 PM

Hey thanks. I appreciate it

#804 BigSteve

BigSteve

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:48 AM

Looking for an ID of the taller cactus with white spines. I believe it is some type of mammillaria.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191118_220613.jpg

#805 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 479 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

Everytime I goto Walmart I come back with a new plant. Any chance at a possible i.d.? It looks pretty enough

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191121_183619.jpg

#806 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,466 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:16 PM

Looking for an ID of the taller cactus with white spines. I believe it is some type of mammillaria.

Hi BigSteve,

That is one of the Mammillaria. That particular variety is commonly known as " Popcorn Cactus" , and also as " Thimble Cactus".

I have some myself and they pup profusely, and will rather quickly (in years) fill a pot wall to wall.

Everytime I goto Walmart I come back with a new plant. Any chance at a possible i.d.? It looks pretty enough

That is one of a huge succulent family, Faucaria by my best guess. They all have sharp looking jaw type growth, and a huge amount of them are commonly known as " Alligator Jaws", Shark or Tiger jaws.

• Sicshroom likes this

#807 BigSteve

BigSteve

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:12 AM

Hi BigSteve,

That is one of the Mammillaria. That particular variety is commonly known as " Popcorn Cactus" , and also as " Thimble Cactus".

I have some myself and they pup profusely, and will rather quickly (in years) fill a pot wall to wall.

That is one of a huge succulent family, Faucaria by my best guess. They all have sharp looking jaw type growth, and a huge amount of them are commonly known as " Alligator Jaws", Shark or Tiger jaws.

Thanks for the ID, I figured it was popcorn but it is more tall than spherical so I figured I would ask. Those pups are the first it's produced so I won't steal them yet. My goal is to get them happy in their new pots first.

Thanks again

• Skywatcher likes this

#808 psilyguy808

psilyguy808

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:47 AM

I found this at a farmers market in Northern California and think that it’s a San Pedro, any thoughts?

Those areoles are pointing up pretty good. Looks a little PC, but it would take a flower for a positive ID. Even if it is pachanot, it would still make great grafting stock or if you really love the look then you are set.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

#809 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:25 PM

Found this guy at Lowe's while getting cacti mix today.
It was the only one and marked down to .50 cents.
I recognized the "trichocereus" in the name so I grabbed it. The tag says "trichocereus grandiflours hybrid" I looked it up and it says it contains d.m.t. can anyone confirm if it's a active variety?15824174320261787691822.jpg

#810 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

That’s a score if it does...
  • Fungi2b likes this

#811 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

It was nearly free because it is infested with mealybugs.

If you want to save it bare root the thing, throw away the pot and soil, mix 1 part dish soap to 20 parts water in a spray bottle, put the cactus where it'll get no direct sun, is away from any other plants, and wont dry out too fast, then spray it down morning and night for a few days, then daily for a week, then every other day for a week, then plant it in moist soil and don't water it for a while.

Get used to this protocol if you plan to keep buying cacti from lowes :wink:

Mammillarias are the worst, 1 in 3 die from the debugging treatment if doing it with dish soap instead of poisonous insecticide.

Don't even think about getting a lowes cactus that has blackrot, trust me.

Edited by Auxin, 22 February 2020 - 08:21 PM.

• Fungi2b likes this

#812 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:29 PM

Hey thanks and your absolutely correct. Apon closer inspection without my glasses I see them I think. Little green ovals with segment lines? You just saved me a whole lot of problems and I appriciat that. I may try to de-bug it but more than likely I'm gonna toss it. I have too many plants going on a.t.m I can't have those.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#813 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,466 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:08 PM

I'm not usually one to suggest trashing a cactus, but that poor thing is so infested you will be quite unlikely to save it, and the likely hood of that nasty little mealybug breeding ground spreading is very high.

I encourage you to follow you instinct to toss it Fungi, and IMO you can do it without guilt.

I have occasionally done well myself at Lowes, for a cacti/ succulent, but I do always examine really thoroughly first. The longer something sits there, the more likely it is that it will be infested or weakened by poor to non-existent care.....

#814 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:26 PM

O.k I was feeling bad about wanting to toss it but I can't risk it right now. I'm gonna check things out a lot better now. I appriciated the heads up and info guys.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#815 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:41 PM

Mealies are the little white fluffball things on the stem and on the soil. They are like greyish white but exude cotton like fuzz and hide in the cotton.

Soapy water breaks through the fluff and drowns them, then you just have to reapply long enough to drown any babies that hatch.

With hardware store plants never assume that white dots on soil are just perlite, and check the plant itself closely.

I quarantine lowes plants like they have coronavirus, but to lowes credit I've never once got the dreaded root mealy on a plant. Those, reportedly, are a deep layer of hell.

I've seen weeping blackrot on lowes cacti numerous times though.

• Skywatcher likes this

#816 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:49 PM

It's currently in a tank I have set up for a desert toad I have it's the only living plant in there and it's got a glass top. I don't think anything's gonna get out tonight. My other cacti and "medical flowers" are at the complete opposite side of the house. I see the white fluff but there are naked bugs that I'd say belong to the scale bug family if I had to take a guess. On a side note there were 2 dried flowers attached to it I'm not 100% but I think the 1 had seeds. Think they may be vaible?

#817 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:55 PM

Those are dyed bundles of corn husk hot-glued on to entertain people that are not used to waiting 6 years for the first flower :wink:

• Skywatcher likes this

#818 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:05 AM

It was a dryed up brown thing seemed attached biologically not with glue, I have seen what you mean tho. I didn't find anything in it anyhow.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!