Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

New strain of Ps. Mexicana from Eastern slope of Chicon Nindo in Huatla de Jimenez

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#81 teonanacatl

teonanacatl

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Both elfstone and I have adverse reactions to sclerotia in general; elfstone apparently vomitted the last time he ate them. I tend to get transient nausea, and a swollen-itchy throat with the sclerotia as well: I suspect they contain some sort of irritant or allergen. On a certain level it makes sense, as sclerotia are essentially a nutrient storage adaptation employed by the fungi when fruiting conditions are not ideal. In nature, it would make sense that the fungi would want to prevent the ingestion of the sclerotia in burrowing animals by producing some sort of irritant. Contrast this to the clear fitness in having edible fruitbodies, where eating, disturbing and moving fruitbodies actually spreads out the genetic material and confers an adaptive advantage. My guess is that if there is an irritant in the sclerotia, it is probably some sort of volatile oil. So, drying them out thoroughly may in fact help with the nausea and allergic-type responses that at least some of us get.

Edited by teonanacatl, 19 April 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#82 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

now thats something to think about.
wonder what would happen if one vac's off some sclerotia
in a 24/40............

ive been doing a comprehensive review on mexicanas in general.
not alot of serious info out there.

any info you guys have is helpful 10x.

there cant be more,
than a dozen or so "authorities" on this type on the planet it seems.

#83 elfstone

elfstone

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

We have more experience with this one than most folks. We are thus the authorities.
  • wildedibles and Moonless like this

#84 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

as i suspected.........
once again, the growers of innovation,
are here...........

#85 Star Cap

Star Cap

Conshroomer

• Expired Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

An amazing thread!!! Thank you!!

#86 Lookin 2 Grow

Lookin 2 Grow

Is Growing ;)

• Expired Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Awesome man!!!!

Keep it up Elfstone :)

Peace, L2G

#87 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

team elf , is really onto something here indeed.

#88 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

I love getting that email that says there was a new post in this topic. Gets me all :cacti: inside.

#89 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Both elfstone and I have adverse reactions to sclerotia in general; elfstone apparently vomitted the last time he ate them. I tend to get transient nausea, and a swollen-itchy throat with the sclerotia as well:

That is interesting. The one jar I got to produce stones with a past attempt was given to a buddy of mine to taste test for me. He left them in a plastic bag in the fridge and forgot about them. Found them a bit later and said they smelled really strong but ate em fresh. He got all of the above. I had figured that they had started to go bad and he just got sick.

#90 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

some incredible, and deep stuff.

peeps who arent following,
might wanna wiki
" maria sabina''

shes truly a lady who links past, present, and future.

when i grow up , i wanna be at least 10% as cool as her.

fungi in general ,
have a religious cultural relationship with peeps.
especially , the p mexicanas, IMO.

peeps need to remember the spiritual element on all this.

Can someone point to info on Maria Sabina that goes a little deeper then just her relationship meeting Wasson, the Rock stars that visited her and that she regrets that the mushroom lost its spirituality because of the western world. That is the bulk of what I have been reading on the general searches i have found. I am looking more for/about the spirituality, the healing in it the deeper stuff than what the rock star stories have to offer.

#91 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Can someone point to info on Maria Sabina that goes a little deeper then just her relationship meeting Wasson, the Rock stars that visited her and that she regrets that the mushroom lost its spirituality because of the western world. That is the bulk of what I have been reading on the general searches i have found. I am looking more for/about the spirituality, the healing in it the deeper stuff than what the rock star stories have to offer.

Sadly I just learned of her as well, so I can't give in depth reviews of any of the books. There seem to be four of five if you search her name on Amazon that may be more in depth and have more pertinent information.

Cheers!

Edited by ConsciousFeeder, 22 April 2012 - 09:49 PM.
Run on sentence...

#92 teonanacatl

teonanacatl

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yea, the information online is a tad bit scanty isn´t it ... I always enjoyed this little piece by Chris King: http://www.dhushara....ass/wasson3.htm ...

This is an interesting account of an experience with Maria Sabina, as recounted by Enrique Gonzales-Rubio Montoya (whom I met down in Mexico) ... http://csp.org/nicholas/A27.html

This does not mention Sabina specifically, but is a classic article on the Mazatec tradition written by Henry Munn ... http://www.entheolog...r.asp?a=118&z=4

This article delves into some of the complexity of Sabina as a figure, and echoes some of the work done by Alvaro Estrada ... http://www.ubu.com/e...epez_clock.html

by the same author ... http://www.ubu.com/e...pez_review.html

This lecture gives some interesting information ... http://www.botany.ha...135/Lect20b.htm

Overall, the best information comes from Alvaro Estrada´s ´Maria Sabina: Her Life and Chants´ ... and Wasson´s ´The Wondrous Mushroom´

This is a great video - ... you see the living conditions and general ambiance, even if you do not understand or speak spanish.

An important question to ask might be ´what is spirituality anyways?´ ... we live in a sort of spiritually pluralistic society, and I think on alot of levels we have inherited a way of existence that is very much devoid of the sacred. So, ´what is the sacred anyways?´ One thing I seem to encounter alot in our own culture is a deep--and often unconscious--longing for something true, authentic and sacred. The problem being, that we just don´t have ready access to those sorts of ways of living and being in the world that provide the deep spiritual sort of sustenance we often long for. We have this longing and are led about blindly by a hunger we only vaguely intuit; I think there is alot to be said for simply becoming aware of the longing itself. I myself have found this sustenance in simplicity, lovingkindness, compassion, gratitude, prayer and the mushroom. But, I notice that many times people are so desperate to fill this spiritual void, that they buy into whatever new-age fad or exotic ideology that might be the order of the day. In my estimation, the longing itself--as we become aware of what it is in actuality--becomes a sort of wish-fulfilling jewel.

A truly humane spirituality might be very difficult to notice, it might not be something that is out there in the marketplace trying to advertise itself or sell something to you. In the case of Maria Sabina, she fell into fame as if by accident ... yet she lived and died in poverty.

Edited by teonanacatl, 23 April 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#93 Star Cap

Star Cap

Conshroomer

• Expired Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Amen, Teo!! Your words about spirituality ring soooooo true!!

#94 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Man Teo...thats a bank of reading, that's awesome. I've got some studying to do tonight

Yea, the information online is a tad bit scanty isn´t it ... I always enjoyed this little piece by Chris King: http://www.dhushara....ass/wasson3.htm ...

This is an interesting account of an experience with Maria Sabina, as recounted by Enrique Gonzales-Rubio Montoya (whom I met down in Mexico) ... http://csp.org/nicholas/A27.html

This does not mention Sabina specifically, but is a classic article on the Mazatec tradition written by Henry Munn ... http://www.entheolog...r.asp?a=118&z=4

This article delves into some of the complexity of Sabina as a figure, and echoes some of the work done by Alvaro Estrada ... http://www.ubu.com/e...epez_clock.html

by the same author ... http://www.ubu.com/e...pez_review.html

This lecture gives some interesting information ... http://www.botany.ha...135/Lect20b.htm

Overall, the best information comes from Alvaro Estrada´s ´Maria Sabina: Her Life and Chants´ ... and Wasson´s ´The Wondrous Mushroom´

This is a great video - ... you see the living conditions and general ambiance, even if you do not understand or speak spanish.

An important question to ask might be ´what is spirituality anyways?´ ... we live in a sort of spiritually pluralistic society, and I think on alot of levels we have inherited a way of existence that is very much devoid of the sacred. So, ´what is the sacred anyways?´ One thing I seem to encounter alot in our own culture is a deep--and often unconscious--longing for something true, authentic and sacred. The problem being, that we just don´t have ready access to those sorts of ways of living and being in the world that provide the deep spiritual sort of sustenance we often long for. We have this longing and are led about blindly by a hunger we only vaguely intuit; I think there is alot to be said for simply becoming aware of the longing itself. I myself have found this sustenance in simplicity, lovingkindness, compassion, gratitude, prayer and the mushroom. But, I notice that many times people are so desperate to fill this spiritual void, that they buy into whatever new-age fad or exotic ideology that might be the order of the day. In my estimation, the longing itself--as we become aware of what it is in actuality--becomes a sort of wish-fulfilling jewel.

A truly humane spirituality might be very difficult to notice, it might not be something that is out there in the marketplace trying to advertise itself or sell something to you. In the case of Maria Sabina, she fell into fame as if by accident ... yet she lived and died in poverty.

#95 dad

dad

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

those will rock your world! beautiful.........+like

#96 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

its alot of deep stuff.

one of my takes was maria sabina,
was kinda dim on cubes and hedonism.

being a leading expert myself,
on cubes and hedonism,
i can see her point.............

like , do i really need a 500 peeps cube eating,
pot smoking, 3 live band, confettti drop,
house crushing, 6 peeps in my bed, and,
lab glass vodka shots in the pool halloween party every yr?

the answer is no.
maybe every other yr.

what i think we all need to do, is step back ,
and, re evaluate our relationship with fungi, and, the deeper messages.
maybe cool out with 2-3 peeps and a candle,
and some mayan / mexica / aztec books.
i suspect a spiritual re centering may be in order with the chicon nindos.

after all , it is 2012, time for a paradigm shift.

#97 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

:lol: ... Quite humble about it as well.

To the OP, very nice canopy!

#98 teonanacatl

teonanacatl

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

its alot of deep stuff.

one of my takes was maria sabina,
was kinda dim on cubes and hedonism.

on cubes and hedonism,
i can see her point.............

like , do i really need a 500 peeps cube eating,
pot smoking, 3 live band, confettti drop,
house crushing, 6 peeps in my bed, and,
lab glass vodka shots in the pool halloween party every yr?

the answer is no.
maybe every other yr.

what i think we all need to do, is step back ,
and, re evaluate our relationship with fungi, and, the deeper messages.
maybe cool out with 2-3 peeps and a candle,
and some mayan / mexica / aztec books.
i suspect a spiritual re centering may be in order with the chicon nindos.

after all , it is 2012, time for a paradigm shift.

Don´t get me wrong, I am certainly NOT an-hedonic. As William Blake once wrote,

¨The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.¨

From the very outset, the depth and intensity of our longing--the raw and unadultered energy of life Herself--determines the degree to which we evolve as spiritual beings. This raw-ecstatic energy is anytyhing BUT polite and reserved in it´s demeanor. This energy is potent, and I always approach it with a great deal of reverence and respect; it has a knack for turning your entire world and the way in which you perceive it fully and wholly on it´s head. This is really what the ceremonial-approach does: provides this energy with a container whereby it is able to come into this world and effect transformation.
  • Moonless likes this

#99 elfstone

elfstone

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 350 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

The santos niños have managed to augment the stillness of mind that my meditation practice has developed to such a degree that I have lost all interest in the coarser pleasures. Nothing less than the joy that spins the Universe is satisfying to my deepest longing. The breath that is all breath fills awareness as the mind comes to rest in stillness. Joy arises, compassion awakens in response to the needs of those I serve, and loving-kindness is born in my action in the world. These are the immeasurable qualities of Being, whose growth truly has no limits. There truly is nothing of greater value than nourishing these aspects of ourselves. It is why we took birth.

#100 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

ya, im bored on the coarseness,
thats why i semi retired.

im in the mood for a paradigm shift.

chicon nindos mycelia on fert rice.
these things are ghosty to photograph

ghoster.JPG