832 replies to this topic

#41 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Gandalf, the walking stick I have carved to accompany me for my mushroom hunting trips, asked to be reworked.......and he said wanted his "parts" back so now Gandalf has his tool too. :teeth: NOTE: There was definitely an incident of practical reasoning behind the rework.....namely a very slippery log and damn near impaling myself on my own crazy creation. I'll take a bruise over a massive puncture wound any day of the week.....I ain't looking to become worm and mushroom food just yet! They'll get my body soon enough, so I tried to copy an ovoid cap for his hat and got rid of the pointed craziness and I also began redefining his looks somewhat. There is a little more rune carving and ornamentation to add, and some sanding, then I'll coat it down with a good urethane or varnish.

Attached Thumbnails

• PIC_3053.JPG
  • PIC_3054.JPG
  • PIC_3057.JPG
  • PIC_3062.JPG
  • PIC_3068.JPG
  • PIC_3071.JPG
  • PIC_3081.JPG
  • PIC_3092.JPG

• onediadem, Il19z8rn4li1, casserole and 4 others like this

#42 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Gandalf, the walking stick I have carved to accompany me for my mushroom hunting trips, asked to be reworked.......and he said wanted his "parts" back so now Gandalf has his tool too. :teeth: NOTE: There was definitely an incident of practical reasoning behind the rework.....namely a very slippery log and damn near impaling myself on my own crazy creation. I'll take a bruise over a massive puncture wound any day of the week.....I ain't looking to become worm and mushroom food just yet! They'll get my body soon enough, so I tried to copy an ovoid cap for his hat and got rid of the pointed craziness and I also began redefining his looks somewhat. There is a little more rune carving and ornamentation to add, and some sanding, then I'll coat it down with a good urethane or varnish.

Um, I want one.

#43 toolfreak

toolfreak

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

Very nice work hand carving that walking stick looks great.

#44 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Gandalf, the walking stick I have carved to accompany me for my mushroom hunting trips,

Very good carving skills Arathu. I love natural color woodgrains and how you incorporated those into the face. I like to use an oil finish myself, maybe because i like the idea of the wood remaining open, able to absorb my own body oils and sweat later. A physical "melding" so to speak.
Very nice work
  • Arathu likes this

#45 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,305 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hmmmm??? I make firewood and mow a DG course. I make shiitake mushroom logs. I fix stuff for my neighbors. I create space for throwing frisbees. I did make my own inoculation tool:

bob's pics 01 016.jpg

How does one insert pics at full size?

Attached Thumbnails

• log stacks in may 2012 008.jpg
  • Jan15-12 009.jpg

• shiitakegrower likes this

#46 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hmmmm??? I make firewood and mow a DG course. I make shiitake mushroom logs. I fix stuff for my neighbors. I create space for throwing frisbees. I did make my own inoculation tool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]271337[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]271338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]271336[/ATTACH]

How does one insert pics at full size?

My type of creatin! When you insert the URL for the picture make sure it's the URL of the full size photo. I also uncheck the box that says 'retrieve remote file and reference locally.'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,305 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

I knew there was a deer in the logs pic, but I didn't realize there is a shiitake or two showing in the inoculation tool pic.

#48 eira

eira

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Beautiful, everyone!

Whenever I wander, I bring my typewriter along and type up free poems for strangers. Here's the latest about a guy I met while in Santa Fe.

Posted Image
  • Arathu and casserole like this

#49 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Excellent! What a community this is! :eusa_clap Alder I love the deer hanging out with the logs and ferns and this poetry......... ahhhhh magnificent! And "they" call us names........hah! :teeth:

#50 *witchdoctor*

*witchdoctor*

Witchdoctor

• Expired Member
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

3.GIF

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 4.jpg

#51 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Holey crap you guys are the business! If I could, High fives and Green hits all around.

#52 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,305 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Love this:
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• 271444d1339194591-post-what-you-create-1.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#53 *witchdoctor*

*witchdoctor*

Witchdoctor

• Expired Member
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

Thnx... Unfortunately I never finished that one! One day probably! I`m doing only when I have strong visuals! Actually those two drawings contains so many days of trippin` that I can`t even remember! Btw it is 60"x30"!
  • Mind and Arathu like this

#54 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Yes, and very accurately too I might add.............I know someone that has seen things just like you have captured in this painting............ :teeth:
To me it really starts getting good when these wooded posts wake up and start talking about how they want to be shaped..once you've seen that they don't shut up. Someone named them wood spirits and I must agree but personally speaking picking up the carving tools while tripping balls, which are razor sharp by the way, is not something I'm going to do unless I get a set of those cut-proof gauntlets. I think I'll go get some polymer clays or maybe some of the native grey and do sculptures too, that way I can start to capture some of the trip safely and then transfer those to another medium when the physiological balance returns... Really nice work folks!

#55 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

I cant really pull up the words Im trying to go for, I cant eloquently put them in any fashion in the state I am at the current moment, as a matter of fact, Im surprised this isnt a bunch of scrambled up letters, well it is........any who...I am ecstatic about seeing the art from you guys , and the thoughts behind them. I cant wait to see what else gets posted in this thread now and in the future. Its fucking magnificent to see what others have come up with, its sort of a collective show and tell from long twisted nights and whatever the inspiration maybe. Its good to see others finding ways to pull these ideas and visions into existance by their own personal creations. I must go before I melt into my keyboard... Thanks for sharing dudes! Keep 'em coming!

Attached Thumbnails

• fred.jpg

Edited by Bassmeditation, 09 June 2012 - 07:44 AM.
sekjfaneklf

#56 mjones0134

mjones0134

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I got a carver set that I have neglected to use. Arathu is there any beginner's techniques I could learn about? Also, I have gotten a medium which is oil pastels, Does anyone have experience using those?

#57 mjones0134

mjones0134

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Freespiritu what medium are you using those are really sweet pictures x0

#58 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

wood carving is bad ass, I have for ever banned myself from doing that again though, one slip of a wood chisel into the part where my thumb meets the edge of my hand... shivers crawl up my spine just thinking about it. I had handfuls of my own blood... bleeehhh.

#59 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

I got a carver set that I have neglected to use. Arathu is there any beginner's techniques I could learn about? Also, I have gotten a medium which is oil pastels, Does anyone have experience using those?

mjones, I cannot help with the carving tools, but i have done quite a bit with oil pastels. They are soft and blend well, but as a result will smear easily so keep that in mind if you plan to use any sharp lines, and put those in as one of the last stages before you finish. I prefer to blend with my fingers rather than any cloth or tissue as I have much better control. The colors are more intense and thicker than say a chalk, so they work well on any base color without showing through. I found the opacity of oil pastels makes black an ideal paper color for these. As always, play with them a bit to get a feel and then make up your own techniques. These are oil based, so they repel water, but you can use a fixative when you are done so they no longer can smear. I like to take various media, and find interesting effects of mixing non-soluable materials to use in some of my work sometimes.

#60 *witchdoctor*

*witchdoctor*

Witchdoctor

• Expired Member
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

Thnx mjones! I used wooden color pencils!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!