47 replies to this topic

#21 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:23 PM

thanks spyker

i will try the cardboard it seems like a great idea. i might even make my glove box now lol

already av all the materiels

#22 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

i've made a glove box.

i plan on cloning the biggest mushroom tommorow, im going to pick it today then splice it, take the middle and drop it in an lc and let it colonise for 2 weeks before i use the glove box once again to innoc 4 substrate jars (wbs(dont know if fits for wild birds, but its bird seed none the less) popcorn, brf and strait brown rice)

wish me luck

#23 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

bleach water for cleaning is ok, but i recommend just regular soap and water

#24 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

Try a cardboard clone as an exercise as well as the LC. U can use a polylid or others on any shallow jar. Then in case the LC gets contamed you ave a backup of your special selection..:) If both work then you have learnt and seen something with your own eyes. You can do transfers to grainjars with a sterile scalpel in your glovebox now...

I wonder if it will work if U use a sterile wide gauge needle ans empty syringe, split your mushie and spike a plug or 5 inside the needle tip from inside the mushie... Then you can use an airport for inoculating the LC and keep it guaranteed comtam free and humanproof ???

I used to use LC's but gave up because of contams. Had lots of successes though. I like the ease of selection of agar and cardboard. Nothing beats LC's though for bulk inoculation and quick colonization... Squirt 10 ml's of mycowater in2 a jar and U can smell the rubber burning once you've given it a good shake and put in incubation.

#25 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:37 AM

im panning on doing 1 cardboard and two lc's today

imgoing to pc the lc and cardboard for the same time. then take 3 pieces of inside tissue and put it in the lc's and cardboard. if the lc's fail i will just use the cardboard to do a g2g transfer on some popcorn and some bird seeds and maybe a brownrice. wish me luck

#26 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:55 AM

Ahoy...good luck! Make sure the cardboard is not too wet, excess water in jar, but wet enough so its not going to dry...

#27 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:57 AM

:cool:
bon chance!

#28 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:03 AM

hippie do you know if this cardboard tek will work with Agaricus bisporus? :) thx

Ps. if you can recommend any other edibles or medicinals that fit the bill
please lmk. i know it works best for woodlovers. dunno bout any others tho:neutral:
and ive never tried this before. thx in advance for any heads up

be well

#29 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:05 AM

i believe so, yes. seem to remember some pix on discus, proly on the dvd only now, showing some grocery store edibles growing mycellia nicely on cardboard

#30 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:08 AM

righteous, thx much :bow: thats just what the doctor ordered :)
will report back later with the goodies i find, if the asian produce market is even open today..
hope so.

Am i readin this right? 100% microwave tek?
it just so happens i have a microwave dedicated to the hobby in storage :)
works out great

thx again for the clarification

#31 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

mission complete

have created 1 lc-light malt and 2 cardboard clone culture. i'll update in 2 weeks to tell you how i got on. honestly i don't think they are going to grow well, used to strong h202 formula and to much bleach water. but oh well. if nothing in a week i will do another lc or cardboard culture

#32 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:06 AM

is it normal for the internal mushroom tissue to turn really blue after its put on the cardboard?

just wondering, i really hope i did this right, so i can use the lc to make 12 jars, 4 of which i will birth and the other will be grown invitro

#33 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

A little bluing is kosher.

BTW............................
If you clone a fruit that isnt fully grown it seems to grow ALOT more vigorously on cardboard. It also seems to help to have a large tissue sample for the mycelium to feed off of since cardboard has very little noots.

#34 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

There is a pic in Paul Stamet's book of Agaricus on a petri of agar. Yup, thats that the agaricus on my cardboard looks like :) Bought from the store, wasn't the freshest either, but got a good piece from inside the cap. 2 out of 3 took.
Done this with oysters as well. My foaf says cubes love it too. I guess Pans do 2...? anyone?

#35 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

seems to help to have a large tissue sample for the mycelium to feed off of since cardboard has very little noots.

huh?:eusa_eh:

#36 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:06 PM

will report back later with the goodies i find, if the asian produce market is even open today..
hope so.

no dice. tomorrow.

#37 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

spyker i know of a couple references to cloning cap tissue, in the archives..
but stem tissue if a better idea, whenever possible.
the reasoning?
caps>>gills>>contain spores>>which can contaminate yer clone with mediocre substrains.
also ive seen many mutant flushes off of cloned cap tissue, not me but AFOM did it and had what looked like inside out mushrooms, not 100% sure if its due to the part of the fruitbody cultured, or if it was some sort of pathogen. either way stem tissue doesnt have any of these issues i still do not understand why folks clone caps, do you have a reason for it ir is it just convenient/easier for you?

thx in advance, great convo here :)

#38 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

huh?:eusa_eh:

From my recent experiments with cardboard cloning Ive concluded that a fat 1" long piece of stem on cardboard will grow alot better then a thin 1/4" piece of the same stem.

Did using 'tissue' to describe pieces of stem throw you off? :eusa_shif
I'll have to watch my terminology from now on. :teeth:

#39 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

haha! nah that didnt throw me off , terminology is not my strong point, id never crioticize anyone for a mistake,

i was confused and thought you meant the "mycelium" would cannibalize the "tissue" sample..
in fact the reason yer LARGER samples will appear to do better than yer SMALLER tissue samples, is because there is more surface area/contact with the medium. however, a tiny section of inner stipe material the size of a grain of rice or so is all thats needed. any more on a single plate sounds like overkill.

cant wait to try this cardboard tek.
im hoping he has some enoki there, in which cap tissue may actually be easier

#40 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

i was confused and thought you meant the "mycelium" would cannibalize the "tissue" sample..
in fact the reason yer LARGER samples will appear to do better than yer SMALLER tissue samples, is because there is more surface area/contact with the medium. however, a tiny section of inner stipe material the size of a grain of rice or so is all thats needed. any more on a single plate sounds like overkill.

Well actually from what Ive observed it does appear to do just that, cannibalize the tissue.

It could be that the mycelium is able to utilize the moisture from the tissue with less effort than absorbing it from the cardboard. But in my initial experiements using small samples, about the size of rice grains, the carboard would not only grow fairly slow, but also would stop growing after colonizing about 30% of a 1' piece of cardboard. Also only one side of the cardboard would get colonized.

When using a larger sample, the growth would be MUCH faster(due to the surface area Im sure), and the entire piece of cardboard would colonize front AND back

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!