• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I alway hear older deadheads say that 1980's dead is crap, but I love it. Listening to shows like 5/13/83, 5/15/83, 10/12/84 (check out the morning dew), 7/13/84 (Scarlet>Touch>Fire), all the Greek Theatre shows are great in my opinion. Yeah Jerry was into smack and that made him forget lyrics/mess up playing sometimes, but some of the 80's dead is primo and should not be missed for those into the band. I love the 80's Terrapins because Brents keys sound great, they really make things sound out of this world at times, like 8/18/89 Terrapin its so gooey you can just hear it, makes me hallucinate :amazed: So to other deadheads on here what's your take on 1980's grateful dead? I understand that my opinion is very biased because I absolutely love the dead, and have for over a decade, but I want to hear opinions good or bad.

Also here are some shows I recommend from the 80's, in no particular order.

9/12/81
6/20/80
12/13/80
12/26/80
10/16/81
4/22/83
10/10/82
8/20/83
8/21/83
4/21/84
3/27/86
6/21/86
3/30/87
6/14/85
6/15/85
6/16/85
3/28/85
10/29/85

those are just a few, anyone interested I have more I can list.

Edited by EstimatedProphet, 21 March 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#2 pizark2

pizark2

hallucinaginusinghooligan

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

I did the whole 85 tour.Good times,good people,good shows.

#3 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Ah man you are lucky, I love the 85 greek theatre shows.

6/15/85 is my fave outta the 3 shows.

#4 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I liked the 80's. I really enjoyed the Meadowlands shows whenever they played there. I missed the earlier tours in the 70'scause I was in school and didn't have funds to travel. In the 90's the music seemed forced, like it was becoming a job instead of something they did for the love of it. Things started to get sketchy with a lot of people showing up just to buy or sell drugs and the shows weren't as much fun, especially in Florida, because of too much poloice presence. I'm going to say something that will have people throwing rotten fruit at me but some of my favorite shows have been Ratdogand not the Dead . I actually prefer them in some ways to the Dead. I like the small venues they play at and I've even been able to say hi to Bob on a few occasions prior to the shows. I loved it when Jerry would play bluegrass with Grissman, and I think that's where he really shined brightest, but I wasn't a huge fan of everything he played with the Dead. I always liked the more upbeat songs typical of Weir over the slower melancholy songs sung by Garcia. Ok, I have my rain gear on so you may begin to throw rotten fruit now. :eusa_doh:

#5 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 800 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

:eusa_sile ^^^^

#6 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Dead_diver I think you're right about ratdog, I saw them a few times in some seriously small venues and they were incredible, energy was through the roof. Donna godchaux gave my pregnant wife the set list from that night, it was really cool how kind she was, and she was only in town for that one show. Yes Garcia/Grisman are great, also Old and in the Way, gotta love bluegrass. If you think about it Jer was heavily into bluegrass before being into the dead (Mother McCree's) so it makes sense as he got older he got back into playing it more. I really like Shady Grove and the Pizza Tapes, dreadful wind and rain is my jam. Yes the touchheads really messed things up, its a damn shame. After Brent the music is exactly how you said dead_diver, very forced sounding. I think the boys didn't want to let the heads down, not fade away but at such a terrible cost. There some good 90's shows, 4-5-1991 comes to mind, but I agree with you.

Why would someone throw rotten fruit at you for your opinion? We all see life through different windows, ones man view is different than another mans, so what? I like to see how others live life/enjoy life and see if the shoe fits, if it does I wear it. I do not want to get stuck in my ways.

Some of my fave dead tunes are...

Terrapin Station
Crazy Fingers
Sugar Magnolia
Stella Blue
Comes A Time
China>Rider
Scarlet>Fire

I have always been a huge fan of Crazy Fingers, I love how peaceful and serene the jam out of it sounds.

Here's a good acoustic first set, Bobby's B-Day show...

http://archive.org/d...27.95431.flac16

Edited by EstimatedProphet, 22 April 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#7 shade-of-deep-purple

shade-of-deep-purple

Psychedelic Musician

• Expired Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

I don't know, I think there very first album was a masterpiece, but there's tons of great stuff by The Grateful Dead.

#8 shade-of-deep-purple

shade-of-deep-purple

Psychedelic Musician

• Expired Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Love tripping to Aoxomoxoa... :space:

"We ate the acid"

#9 EstimatedProphet

EstimatedProphet

Bearer of Light

• Expired Member
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

I don't know, I think there very first album was a masterpiece, but there's tons of great stuff by The Grateful Dead.

OH I love it all.

I am listing to 9-2-68 at the moment.

#10 MeriwetherLewis

MeriwetherLewis

Explorer & Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Did anyone ever meet Dave and Amy, glassblowers on the lot?

#11 drmindblow

drmindblow

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

I'm mostly listening to the older dead. I love "Anthem of the Sun" (Alligator is soooo great, live also :) ) and their first album, but the newer 80s Dead ... Hmmhmm ^^ But maybe there are some 80s gigs with that old wild Merry Prankster-Flavour :D

#12 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 800 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.....just got to poke around.

:rasta:

WuXD9OUrVmc

#13 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

I am more of a fan of the late 80's, they were on fire from 87' until Brent's death.
Brent added something to the band that they never had before or after imo.
Jerry said it himself,
no one pushed him harder or challenged him more creatively than Brent.

Forever Family, Forever Grateful...

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!