• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:35 PM

I had a couple of rye bags from a couple months ago that had gotten exposure to direct sunlight. They looked like they had melted and the mycelium stopped spreading...I am pretty new to this hobby and tried many different ways of bring them back.. About 2 weeks ago I cut the bags open and placed a thin layer of DRY perilte in some aluminum baking trays covered with saran then foil.. They started to colonize again. This project became an experiment. Last week I took the 50% colinized rye and put them in sterile jars with some verm on the bottom.

I now have some extremely fluffy mycelium..I mean it is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch taller than the substrate layer and the bottom of the rye isnt moving hardly at all. I can post some pics when I can. Anyone know what is happening with this stuff?...I have never seen even in board threads the wispy stuff growing in these jars...It is bright, bright white so It can't be all that bad right?

Thanking in advance for any advise, help or suggestions

#2 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

the pics I took the files are too big...how do i get them small enough for upload?

#3 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

edit them in paint, just shrink them. Also about that partially colonized rye.... well if it doesnt contaminate then your very lucky. The chance of you having that rye colonize in non sterile conditions without contaminating is slim, but it could happen. Once we see the pics we will know whats up.

#4 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

ok here are some of the pics..the first is saved KSSS and the other one is Lipa Yai in the jar. plz help!...whats next?

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.1.JPG
  • 1.JPG

#5 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:59 PM

What were your air changes like when they were in the bags b4 cut open? A filter patch? Just sealed up?

#6 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:07 AM

filter patch

#7 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:33 AM

Was there air in the bag, or was there little air inside? Also, how much grain was in the bags?

#8 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:39 AM

there wasnt much air in the bags and the amount of rye was whatever Hippie puts in his when he ships em out.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!