• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Chen & Barley

Chen & Barley

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:11 PM

Has anyone noticed a differance in using brown rice that has been grinded and stored over freshly ground?

i think i read something about it being better fresh but what is the actual differance?

It is going to be stored in an airtight container, of course:hippie:

peace

#2 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

There is prolly no noticeable difference. Especially if it is stored right.

#3 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

I always just grab the generic brown rice and throw it in the blender, works great... The fresh grind seems to make it a lil faster, but as stated, it would matter mostly on it's storage...

#4 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:44 PM

They work about the same for me. I grind because it's hard to find the rice flour. Plus...white vs brown rice...that doesn't matter much either. Cubbies like both.

#5 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

i only use Lundbergs organice freshly grounded. worked very well on my first grow so i never switched. but as said before if its stored right its fine.

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:11 PM

If you want to get super cheap, go buy yourself a 50# bag of wild bird seed from HD or Lowes for $12. Grind it as you would rice and use as PF's tek states. No difference and much more cheaper....

#7 Chen & Barley

Chen & Barley

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:28 AM

shedthemonkey - White rice has been stripped of all nutrients, maby extra nutes should be added like nut. yeast or bee pollen?

Lazlo - I had tried birdseed but it was cold and i was on holiday and a incubator broke and nothing much happend, many had also grown a green powder like mold,

i threw that shit out, fuck it.

peace

#8 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

I live very near a health food store that carries at least 5 different kinds of brown rice. Sweet brown rice, long grain brown rice, i cant remember the others. I checked the labels and didnt notice much difference other than the amount of fat which ranges from 0.5g to 1.5g. has anyone experimented with these?

#9 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

I'm also interested in this subject. Can one use brown rice instead of grinding it up into flour? Do you know gonzo ??
mush

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

Exclude a health food store for rice. Too pricey for the product. Go to Wal-Fucking-Mart (in the morning before all of the moorons pile in) and go get yourself a large bag of Uncle Ben's brown rice for a couple of bucks. Then simply grind the rice in a blender to be used for cakes. Don't over fill the blender too much because it's a pain to grind it properly. 4 cups a pop in the blender is easy as pie to grind.....

#11 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

i'm your man on rice...there are over 5 types of brown rice and it goes from lite brown to reddish like...DO NOT use the sweet rice as it is called sticky rice as it's name says it all very sticky!. the darker brown rice ya will need to soak them a few hours then cook like reg white. it will come out hard and will not stick. also it has more nutes than white rice. i usually use brown rice with some verm or coir...works great, a little over cooked brown rice is no problem as it still won't stick..just rinse,mix and pc...
peace
siam

#12 hydrodad

hydrodad

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

It has beem my expierence that health food store rice is too costly. With my particular strains, fresh ground (in your own blender) long grain brown rice does the trick best. Quicker colonizing, better first flushes. But everyone has their own opinoin on the attributes of store bought campared to fresh. But fresh is definatley cheaper !. I also avoid "parboiled" rice as it has already been boiled and lacks some nutes. Uncle Ben's is the way to go or I just buy the Kroger generic brown rice (same as uncle ben's). Besides, by the time you buy 3 bags at the health food store.... you could buy a cheap blender and a bag of Ben's :)

#13 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:55 AM

I make my own brf flour all the time for my cakes. I use generic "Long Grain" Brown Rice. I've used America's Choice and Stop n Shop and another few brands. The attached picture shows ya what I mean. Supermarket. I've gotten better results on my cakes using my own ground brown rice and not store bought organic brown rice flour.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8lbs_of_rice_from_stop_n_shop.jpg

#14 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:00 AM

No way, the organic long grain brown rice @ my local health food store is only 49 cents a pound. I bought a bag full of one of those clear produce bags for under 4 dollars. Maybe I don't go through as much, but that bag has seemed to last a while, for pf cakes at least.

#15 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

in a major life change-jj

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

I have experimented with sweet brown rice before, and I did not like it. Still sittting on about 20# of it too.

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Cheap long grain brown rice, Mahatma brand.

Success has been reported with virtually every kind of rice (including white).

Sticky is bad in jars.

#17 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

When using BRF, I have had good luck with the cheap, generic brown rice @ .99 a bag.

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:43 PM

50 pound sack of ordinary white rice
at Costco for like $7-8 bucks
then grind it yourself

#19 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:30 AM

damn i wish i had a costco membership.

#20 prismaticEffects

prismaticEffects

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 440 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

Does anyone use a coffee grinder? I'm wondering because I have one of my own - but it says not to grind rice in it.

Would rice really damage a Black & Decker coffee grinder?

If so what do you use?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!