#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Party at Banzai's dad's house tonight! :headbang:

Shocking collection of knives too. Even a couple real swords. He's a weird guy

He sounds like the kind of weird that's rather compatible with my own variety, lol.

And places like his are another reason to learn 'primitive' bushcraft because you may have noticed I did not include any firearms in my short list, and that is because with certain training it is not hard at all to obtain whatever caliber the guy in the fort has. Or the whole fort for that matter, but I have no use for fixed-position base camps (too risky IMO). Not all fortified survivalist bunkers will be easy pickings, but the vast majority of them will be even if the owner is ex-military (depends on the actual experience, were they regular infantry or spec-ops?). It's almost but not quite funny how much some people rely on firearms or think that just because they have a few and lots of ammo that they're somehow safe or immune to being overrun.

In some circumstances, guns and ammo are merely excess weight slowing you down and ultimately getting you killed by the guy with better bush skills, sort of like how a few Apaches under Geronimo fought both the Mexican Army and the U.S. Cavalry at the same time (while bringing along all of their extended families, too). When asked about it later, Geronimo was reported to have said that they fought the Mexicans with rocks (mostly large ones rolled off mountains as columns of soldiers advanced) and saved their bullets for the Cavalry. It's often under-appreciated that Geronimo and his band never lost, they accidentally surrendered under false pretenses (in the typical fashion of the time). So IMO, guns are handy tools but are not substitutes for knowledge; with knowledge one can obtain guns easily but just having guns won't help increase anyone's knowledge.

#22 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

He has one of those "Dirty Harry" long barrel .44 magnums with a scope and a laser pointer. Firing the thing feels like you have broken your friggin' hand. It is basically a useless weapon - but it looks cool as fuck.

Eastwood used a 6" .44 mag in almost all the movies I believe, standard as far as I know, the movie poster was arrange to make it look as though it was longer... sorry Im just screwing with you, what I said is irrelephant:dance: .

#23 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

He sounds like the kind of weird that's rather compatible with my own variety, lol.

And places like his are another reason to learn 'primitive' bushcraft because you may have noticed I did not include any firearms in my short list, and that is because with certain training it is not hard at all to obtain whatever caliber the guy in the fort has. Or the whole fort for that matter, but I have no use for fixed-position base camps (too risky IMO). Not all fortified survivalist bunkers will be easy pickings, but the vast majority of them will be even if the owner is ex-military (depends on the actual experience, were they regular infantry or spec-ops?). It's almost but not quite funny how much some people rely on firearms or think that just because they have a few and lots of ammo that they're somehow safe or immune to being overrun.

In some circumstances, guns and ammo are merely excess weight slowing you down and ultimately getting you killed by the guy with better bush skills, sort of like how a few Apaches under Geronimo fought both the Mexican Army and the U.S. Cavalry at the same time (while bringing along all of their extended families, too). When asked about it later, Geronimo was reported to have said that they fought the Mexicans with rocks (mostly large ones rolled off mountains as columns of soldiers advanced) and saved their bullets for the Cavalry. It's often under-appreciated that Geronimo and his band never lost, they accidentally surrendered under false pretenses (in the typical fashion of the time). So IMO, guns are handy tools but are not substitutes for knowledge; with knowledge one can obtain guns easily but just having guns won't help increase anyone's knowledge.

My Dad isn't weird bad or weird annoying he's just...very different in most of his opinions and attitudes.

I promise you are going to find easier pickings on a military base than hitting Dad's house. My Dad taught Rangers for 20 years. He has forgotten more bush/wildcrafting skills than most people will ever know. And the fucker is tough as nails.

His house is on an island which is only water accessible and only has one usable landing point. A 35 foot dock and then almost 80ft of steps winding up the side of a cliff. Most of the island's edges are 100-200 foot sandstone bluffs. He has a 360 degree view for almost a mile from the sniper's nest on top which is disguised to look like a bell tower.. He has a camera system which feeds him that full view into the real part of the house - the concrete bunker underneath. Sufficient supplies to close the door (a friggin' modified bank vault door) and keep 6 people alive and happy for 5 years. The bunker has redundant, highly filtered air intakes/exhausts which can be shut down completely should the geiger counter go off indicating radioactive dust. Then the ventilation system shuts down automatically and the internal exchange CO2 scrubber system kicks in. He estimates just about 4 months of air for 6 people with the thing completely sealed. The whole bunker is lined with heavily grounded fine gauge copper mesh embedded in the concrete walls, so the whole place is a giant Faraday cage. All the important electronics will survive an EMP with no problems at all.

He has two underground diesel generators, three underground storage tanks (500 gal diesel, 500 gal gasoline and 10,000 gallons of water). From above, it looks like any relatively nice ranch style home. The only thing that is a serious give away is the 100ft multifunction antenna tower and the heli pad. But of course the antenna can be collapsed and he has a tan coloured tarp which covers the pad most of the time and renders it basically invisible.

Yah - I think you might have an easier time breaking into Fort Bragg than my Dad's house.

#24 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

A couple things that nobody mentioned are some pain killers (keep them in the script bottle), antibiotics, you can get them in the fish section of a pet store in a pinch if your doctor won't give you an emergency script, and some powdered Gatorade. As far as a pistol is concerned I keep a stainless steel Ruger single six revolver for survival purposes. I'm not talking about self defense here, I'm talking about something you can easily fit in a backpack for small and medium sized game. It's a versatile little pistol. They come with 2 cylinders, one for regular .22 short, long and long rifle and a second cylinder for .22 magnum. The .22 snake shot rounds are perfect for birds. The LR is good for small game and the .22 magnum can take down larger game and be used for self defense if you were really backed into a corner. The ammo is also light and you can carry a lot of rounds in a small space.

#25 MrLiberty

MrLiberty

Hardore Constitutionalist

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

spore prints

Oh that's great! I think im the only one who caught that. Funny you say that because i actually have a fully grown out plate of King oysters in a ziploc in my BOB. Its there because im quite certain i can devise a way to grow some fungi in the wild with what i have and it would be a definite source of food a few weeks afterward.

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

My Dad isn't weird bad or weird annoying he's just...very different in most of his opinions and attitudes.

I promise you are going to find easier pickings on a military base than hitting Dad's house. My Dad taught Rangers for 20 years. He has forgotten more bush/wildcrafting skills than most people will ever know. And the fucker is tough as nails.

His house is on an island which is only water accessible and only has one usable landing point. A 35 foot dock and then almost 80ft of steps winding up the side of a cliff. Most of the island's edges are 100-200 foot sandstone bluffs. He has a 360 degree view for almost a mile from the sniper's nest on top which is disguised to look like a bell tower.. He has a camera system which feeds him that full view into the real part of the house - the concrete bunker underneath. Sufficient supplies to close the door (a friggin' modified bank vault door) and keep 6 people alive and happy for 5 years. The bunker has redundant, highly filtered air intakes/exhausts which can be shut down completely should the geiger counter go off indicating radioactive dust. Then the ventilation system shuts down automatically and the internal exchange CO2 scrubber system kicks in. He estimates just about 4 months of air for 6 people with the thing completely sealed. The whole bunker is lined with heavily grounded fine gauge copper mesh embedded in the concrete walls, so the whole place is a giant Faraday cage. All the important electronics will survive an EMP with no problems at all.

He has two underground diesel generators, three underground storage tanks (500 gal diesel, 500 gal gasoline and 10,000 gallons of water). From above, it looks like any relatively nice ranch style home. The only thing that is a serious give away is the 100ft multifunction antenna tower and the heli pad. But of course the antenna can be collapsed and he has a tan coloured tarp which covers the pad most of the time and renders it basically invisible.

Yah - I think you might have an easier time breaking into Fort Bragg than my Dad's house.

Jeebus! Does he ever let you use part of it for a sterile clean room? :amazed:

And to think I thought I was all set with a few knives and my towel...

(I tried and failed to find that old Far Side cartoon of the couple emerging from their underground bunker to an obliterated world still in flames with the guy saying something along the lines of "Thank God! We made it!" I wanted to post it as it would've nicely illustrated my attitude about there being a level of severity to apocalyptic events that beyond which I frankly wouldn't want to survive)

Hmm, my next-door neighbor has a helipad.. but no antenna, dang it. Oh well, back to Google Earth to continue the search because I do love a challenge! :reb:

#27 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,685 posts

Donator

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Sterile catheter kit??? and franks hot sauce.

Sterile catheter kit you wont be carrying that pack if you need to use this friend. I took one of these straight one night for a blood clot, and I screamed like a little girl. I am hoping in the meds you got a good supply of pain killers. :thumbup: Been think of having a dooms day pack but you got to keep all that stuff taken care of.

Thanks for sharing and when I start my pack I am going to reference yours.

#28 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

I knew Buck would survive when I came across Cavenders' Greek Seasoning! I love that stuff :)

#29 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

The Frank's is simple. It makes EVERYTHING taste better thus it it makes gnarly stuff way more palatable. And hot sauce has a natural tendency towards killing those bacteria in the food that might otherwise kill you. The hotter/spicier you can stand to eat your meat and veg, the closer to spoiled you can eat 'em.

Interesting that the Frank's has come up a couple times but only one person mentioned the Cavender's...

The sterile cath kit is also real easy to explain. The wife needs 'em and I know how to use them because I've had to assist her in that fashion before. The Banzai family would not be correctly described by the phrase, "bucket of health." That's why we have extras cath kits laying around for the BOB. But they are just like insulin or epi-pens. Gold if ya need 'em. Dead weight if ya don't. We do...

I knew Buck would survive when I came across Cavenders' Greek Seasoning! I love that stuff :)

Buck has been around for a minute or two. In esoteric terms, he will be around for a LOT longer and well after this particular meat puppet takes the dirt nap.

It took me a long time to realise and it isn't something I proselytise about. But I am a created being and I serve that creator when I can - because serving that creative force moves the thing on faster than fighting it. Make no mistake. I am NOT a religious man. I am simply a realist.

A long time ago I used to phrase that as, "Sometimes yer Karma's bitch and sometimes yer Karma's fist - I just like to be at the table." Then My Name Is Earl came on and pissed all over my ability to use that phrase to garner shock value. Bastards...

#30 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

I have too started to gather supplies for bugging out if the necessity occurs. Don't quite have it all together yet which isn't good but I'm trying. Super awsome list you got there man I'm taking notes for sure. Seeds are good to have in the event food stops a rolling to the stores in an economic crisis. Takes time and care but gotta do what you gotta do.

#31 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

All this stuff sounds kind of silly - until you need something you can't get easily any longer.

Road flares and jumper cables should be in EVERYBODY'S trunk. Yet they aren't.

EVERYBODY should have a small stockpile of food and water just for "act of God" emergencies.

Yet the vast majority of people I knew in Oakland/San Francisco/Berkely didn't even keep a basic earthquake kit. Not even a gas shut off wrench. And most of them had been through at least one quake that disrupted services!

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

You know, I've been thinking about the preparations you listed that your dad has taken and it's changed my perspective on this topic a bit (well, it hasn't changed it so much as it's added to it). Thanks for spelling out the details; hope I didn't come off as dismissive or too critical of extensive preparedness because I tend to do that when what I'm really trying to argue for is not relying too much on stockpiles, fortifications, and the ability to remain in a given location (which is not the same as saying they're useless, though sometimes I do say that when I'm being especially hyperbolic). New information that's come my way from another direction about the great Culling of the Herd has also been factored in to my new perspective and suffice to say for now that the not-too-distant future is going to require the combined skills, resources, and abilities or both types of people (both the heavily fortified and the invisibly nomadic). I'll expand on this further when I'm not late for work, lol.

#33 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Ax
a few good knives
fishing line hooks
compass on one knife
flint stick in another knife
warm and cool clothing for family
flash lights small / wind up flashlight too
some food but I plan on eating what I can find in the woods where I live the whole woods cannot be destroyed I live near Algonquin park and if the whole area woods is destroyed wed be fu*ked anyway
no tent we could make a shelter in quick time
rope but this can be made as well but is quicker and stronger if it is packed
air mattress could be a good idea for floating stuff across water so extra clothes stay dry
we do not own a car so wed be on foot in the woods
oh ya my camera don't leave home without it lol
candles ... I think I am still forgetting stuff but I can find most of what I need in the woods field guides for trees and plants medicinal and food I know most of what I can and cannot eat most of my schooling is in wild foods

I am putting wild food threads up and poisonous plant threads too to know what not to eat just encase we need to bug out I want to teach about wild plants in the area so others can learn how to find these and prepare them encase we need them :)

#34 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

All this stuff sounds kind of silly - until you need something you can't get easily any longer.

Road flares and jumper cables should be in EVERYBODY'S trunk. Yet they aren't.

My wife used to say "I have AAA, what do I need a tire iron for".

I was out of town, and she ended up spending 3 1/2 hours waiting for a AAA guy when she got a flat. On Alligator Alley in the middle of the night none the less. Spooky shit. Scared the hell out of her. I spent three hours on the phone with her assuring her she'd be ok and to keep the windows up and doors locked.

She has a great little road side emergency kit right next to her Get Home Bag now. It's sad that it has to come to that to get some people in gear.

#35 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

my brother asked me one time... "why the hell do you have a hammer in your car?"
"you never know when youre gonna need a hammer. now get your ass out and hang up those yard sale signs." :lol:
every vehicle ive ever owned had at least jumpercables and a jack and spare in it. the older the vehicle the more tools i carry in it. i got so much shit in the truck box of my 84 dodge truck that the bottom is falling out of it. but when it breaks down i got the tools it takes to get er going again.

#36 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

my brother asked me one time... "why the hell do you have a hammer in your car?"
"you never know when youre gonna need a hammer. now get your ass out and hang up those yard sale signs." :lol:
every vehicle ive ever owned had at least jumpercables and a jack and spare in it. the older the vehicle the more tools i carry in it. i got so much shit in the truck box of my 84 dodge truck that the bottom is falling out of it. but when it breaks down i got the tools it takes to get er going again.

That's just downright sexy right there. :teeth:

#37 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Been thinking a lot about having a collection of edible sporeprints on me for survival food-security. The two ideas I have are business card sized cards that have labled prints in them and are plastic coated like shrinkwrap/laminate, for in my wallet. The other idea was a necklace made of two pieces round glass with the prints inside, then soldered around to hold the glass together. The glass would be opaque...

#38 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,685 posts

Donator

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Ohhhh I love this!!

I have in my car a GHB (Get Home Bag). Not quite as involved as a BOB (which I have 2 of at home).

I work 35 miles from home in a not so fun area. 10 miles gets me out of the city, 20 through mostly suburbs, and If need be, I can add an aditional 5-10 miles through swamp. I have 6 different routes I'd take home depending on situations.

Whenever I see a discussion about BOB's, people always mention using Alice Packs and the like. Not me. To me an Alice pack screams "hey that guy has stuff".

I like to play grey man. Blend into the crowd. T-shirt, cargo shorts (khaki), sneakers, a hat, sunglasses, and a backpack. I look like 90% of the people here.

My GHB is a hiking backpack. Nothing special.

In it:
2 pair Socks
2 pair Underwear
Cotton shirt (hot as hell where I am)
Poncho
Sunscreen
Snacks (not gonna list everything, but jerky and the like)
Tylenol
pepto tablets
sunglasses
2 flashlights
AA Batteries
$200 in small bills
bandanna
6 lighters (I know, a bit much)
Small crobar
Kabar knife
pocket tool
2 books (they switch a lot, I forget whats in there now)
pack of cards
tampons (very useful)
emergency tent
solar blanket
camping towel
4 rolls camping toilet paper
baby powder
travel toothbrush
travel toothpaste
small bottle body wash
wash rag
mole skin
tweezers
garbags
ziplock bags
copy of drivers license
razor blades
100 ft paracord (not even sure why)
about 100 ft duct tape rolled on an old credit card
a decent first aid kit
2 bottles of water
1 survival straw for water purification
1 bottle water pure tabs
small metal cup
ziplock bag of cotton balls soaked in vasoline
nalgene bottle
earplugs

I'm not sure what it weight, but it's not a lot at all. If I need to hoof it all the way home, I'm not carrying a 75 lb bag 35 miles. No need.

I 100% always have my Gerber pocket knife on me. And I keep my Kel-Tec P11 in my lock box in the car.

At home I keep mine and my wifes BOB's.

They are stocked with just about everything in the GHB with
more food,
a few more pairs of socks,

Except for a few items this is real close to My I am in Jail again bag, or damn there sending me to prison again bag. But this bag includes x-box and small tv

#39 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

Been thinking a lot about having a collection of edible sporeprints on me for survival food-security. The two ideas I have are business card sized cards that have labled prints in them and are plastic coated like shrinkwrap/laminate, for in my wallet. The other idea was a necklace made of two pieces round glass with the prints inside, then soldered around to hold the glass together. The glass would be opaque...

i too have had the idea of spores sealed in semiglass beads on a choker
what i would suggest is getting some good strong shrink wrap and some lab slides
put a large amount of viable spore on each slid plate cap it with another and wrap and glue
the shrink wrap a few times over each then after that is done coat in silicone
around the edging and faces of the glass to secure against moisture
might want to attach a plastic loop so you can string them
a loop of cord epoxied at the top of each would work well
just swapped out my 1man tent for a tented hammock
and have some -20f insulation for sleeping bags coming
i will be making a removable liner so my hammock tent is multi seasonal
i have already stitched in various loops and clip rigs on the inside so when
im in the tent i will have immediate access to such things as my weapons
and water/rations pouches i also have a urine funnel and tube rigged in it
no late night fumbling in freezing weather just to pee!
i will also be rigging some photovaltic cell phone rechargers to the upper
canvas shielding and will have a tech friend rig me a light and fan system
inside of the tent and if possible some small voltage heating element
when SHTF if ya got the right stuff you can still live well and proper
and stay out of shit!
the upper shielding of the tent i am thinking of rigging with forest green
dyed buck hide to blend in with evergreens so i can just tie close to the trunk an tilt
my hammock and it should blend in with the branches and shed snow well
i already have the top of the inside rigged with royalpurple rabbit fur so it would be suiting
  • Erkee likes this

#40 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

this link might be of use to those wishing to grow edibles in the field
http://www.cd3wd.com.../EN/B138_16.HTM

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!