• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Peyote

Peyote

Peyote Coyote

• OG VIP
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

i only have a 12g shot gun in my bag....with it, i can get all the other things... :) lol

#42 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

i only have a 12g shot gun in my bag....with it, i can get all the other things... :) lol

Killed would be my guess. :mistrust:

#43 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

until you run out of ammo and bump into the guy with the full clip
or the ready drawn bow/crossbow! ;)
guns are next to useless in SHTF situations and will cause a lot more trouble than
their worth at the times
mine is only for large game meat hunting and self defense against assclowns
trying to rob me for my hard learned and earned meal/items ;)

#44 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

a clean water bottle would be a good start up for me :space:...:teeth:

then depending..

#45 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

I like it all, but, you are missing prints, for when you use all that stuff to improvise a new Tek, the apocalypse Tek.

Edit: This post started as input of useless information, then I actually remembered I knew something. Edit again, and then I read the whole thing from top to bottom, and a lot of it all has been said.

Where is all your fishing gear? Stick some line in the sewing kit and hooks in the hat. Also a heavy duty needle and thread for boot repair, tent repair, rope repair.

Hats...wear sunscreen! (I just saw it in your list)

A good trick is too vacuum pack items of clothes, less space taken up and waterproof/clean.

Signal corp booklet. Good to know signals, morse code, yeah.

I was reading somewhere that being easy to spot is good, but what about when you dont want to be spotted. So may I suggest camo cover, even camo sleeping bags, 2 birds with one stone. Either sleeping bags or ponchos should be camo. That fleece blanket sounds like a whole bundle of fun to trek quick with. With sleeping bags built for sub zero temps its a bit of a hard choice not to throw out, but hey, no reason not to have romantic nights post apocalypse.

I also notice you have about 5 different ways or so to start a fire. How many of those have you actually tried? Like the water proof tinder? There are a whole heap of products out there that are complete bs. I would suggest training making a fire with the different tools and products you have, find one that works, know that you know how to work it, and get rid of everything else that repeats a function.

You may not like hunting, which is good and all, but also knowing how to skin, prepare and preserve meat would go a long way.

Last, I will give a friendly nudge to the Botanical forum to brush up on your local plants and vegetation for medicine,food, and practical uses. Field craft courses are around.

Water purification
General Antibiotics (you can survive zombies, dont forget about the other diseases that kill)

Also, the bug out bag that I envision is for 3 days tops, move light and quick. Get out of the area, go to ground, and survive. I still need to reason with myself the possibility of secret stashes hidden in the mountains, I mean, im just gonna be a guy digging a pit, throwing a case in, making sure that no one is watching or following....but, the time when I use my BoB I probably will not have set those up yet...also, in the front pocket of your pack put some sweets and things, because I will probably be blazed and have a serious case of the munchies.

oh yes...pack your weed

Edited by Spliff, 24 May 2012 - 07:28 AM.

• Erkee likes this

#46 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

The waterproof tinder is cotton balls soaked in vasoline. I know those work 'cause I used 'em in Boy Scouts about six billion years ago. The blastmatch is just a scaled up version of the magnesium scrape stick from Eagle Scouts. If worse came to worse I could make a bow and start a fire rubbing sticks between wooden blocks. Gimps who make Eagle Scout like to earn all their badges (I also know Morse and Semaphore and about a bazillion knots).

I can field dress anything from a pigeon to a moose and know a good bit about tanning. But I'm not exactly what ya call super mobile, so too much hunting and I'm toast anyway.

My Bug Out Bag is more of a shelter in place kit that I can toss in the car and move to another shelter if a tornado is bearing down on the place we are located. Beyond that, it's design isn't to survive the apocalypse - it's design is to keep us comfortable in the case of an extended (7 day) interruption of basic services.

Or to be stuff that can be re-distributed if the act of God happens in the town next to mine (like it did last time). I don't want to be a burden on the emergency response network and in fact would like to lighten that burden by helping out folks who have suddenly found themselves homeless.

If I find myself in an end of the world apocalypse scenario, chances are real good I'll be eating a bullet.

I'm a realist.

My wife is partially disabled and so am I. Both of us are dependent upon prescription medications to maintain a decent quality of life. There isn't a lot of "zombie killer" left in me, if ya know what I'm saying...

#47 Spliff

Spliff

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Understood...

I may have jumped the gun with "post apocalypse" and "zombie". I realise that yes, for your most likely disaster involving a BoB our intentions may have been mixed. Personally, the only reason I have a BoB is to survive those two scenarios. Maybe I should bring my head out of the clouds...

#48 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Understood...

I may have jumped the gun with "post apocalypse" and "zombie". I realise that yes, for your most likely disaster involving a BoB our intentions may have been mixed. Personally, the only reason I have a BoB is to survive those two scenarios. Maybe I should bring my head out of the clouds...

Well just remember, if you are prepared for a zombie-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it scenario, you are probably prepared for most emergency situations.

I think the best tool anyone of us can posess is situational awareness.

Strapping on the Alice pack and grabbing the AK to head for the hills because a hurricane is coming is a bad idea.

BUT those MRE's and flashlights in that Alice pack may damn well come in handy if said hurricane knocks the power out for a week.

And that AK sitting on your lap may tell that group of looters that this isn't the house to loot if no power starts approaching a few weeks.

#49 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

If it comes to it, I'd much rather quietly stun gun and then knife an intruder/looter than fire off an attention getting shot.

Personally, I think people are way too fixated on the power of firearms. In a close quarters fight, chances are very good that your pistol would be more effectively used as a cudgel without wasting ammo.

And unless you are prepared to start shooting everybody from a distance, you are going to end up fighting people in close quarters after you determine if they are friend or foe by conversation.

I can personally talk just about anybody into just about anything. Unless you are popping people from a distance with a rifle, I'll put my knife and skills of conversational persuasion up against any firearm.

#50 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

If it had to be, then yes a stealthy takedown of an intruder would be best.

If I ever "needed" a firearm, 99% of situations will call for a pistol. If I'm using a long gun, then the poo has really hit the fan.

But nothing says "wrong house" like a long gun sitting in my lap. Kinda like the people who put an ADT sign in the yard. It's a deterant.

#51 Achtwan

Achtwan

Sovereign

• Validating
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

this is a good thread.

#52 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

If it had to be, then yes a stealthy takedown of an intruder would be best.

If I ever "needed" a firearm, 99% of situations will call for a pistol. If I'm using a long gun, then the poo has really hit the fan.

But nothing says "wrong house" like a long gun sitting in my lap. Kinda like the people who put an ADT sign in the yard. It's a deterant.

1 thing i think you failed to consider....if you just "deter" them...that means they are still alive
....and probably VERY pissed...and know your exact location
it don't take much at all to pop up during one of your sleeping times and pop a pole
against your sleeping noggin now does it? keep the gun if you feel you must but i would suggest a crossbow
with a big game head on it designed for bears
that will allow you to get rid of anyone that poses a danger to you and yours
without letting every human in a mile radius know someone with a valuable gun
is sitting there

#53 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

a small water spray bottle is handy for washing anything and uses minimal water..:)

#54 captaincactuscakes

captaincactuscakes

biophile

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

Great thread, it's been a fun read! I would have one suggestion to offer: ditch the gator machete. They're junk. Go with something that's full tang, after having 2 break on me I promised myself to never purchase another Gerber machete. I now use a Condor Golok which doubles as a hatchet and comes with an amazing warranty (basically, if it breaks, you send an email and they send you a new one!)

Threads like this are very important for all of us and our personal safety. Best to be prepared for something that may never happen then find yourself in an unforeseeable situation with nothing but reliance on an overburdened safety net.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!