Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How I get the spores off the bottom of the jar.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

Ok the biggest problem with taking prints on the bottom of a 1/2 pint jar is getting the prints off the botton and mixed with the water.
So what I do is(done in a glove box/sterile work area) print the cap on the bottom of a sterile jar wait 1-2 days as normal remove the cap and add the sterile distilled H2o. Now here comes the best part you take a STERILE PC'd/Boiled jar lid place 2 holes in the Lid a Larger one in the center and a 2nd newhere esle. Take a large glop of RTV/silicone place it over the center hole and the smaller hole. Then you take a paper clip bend it into a L shape place in so it can scrape the bottom of the Jar, but 1 inch needs to stick out the top to manipulate the paper Clp fo r scraping and There you go a sterile way to get the spores off the bottom of the jar.
I will try and post Pix soon
Also IMO anther great way is to suspend the cap over some distilled water using paperclips in a sealed PC'd jar and let them drop for a day or so.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

not bad idea.

take a STERILE PC'd/Boiled jar lid place 2 holes in the Lid a Larger one in the center and a 2nd newhere esle. Take a large glop of RTV/silicone place it over the center hole and the smaller hole. Then you take a paper clip bend it into a L shape place in so it can scrape the bottom of the Jar, but 1 inch needs to stick out the top to manipulate the paper Clp fo r scraping and There you go a sterile way to get the spores off the bottom of the jar.

#3 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:43 PM

Not just an Idea, it has been used and works gr8
Thx for the props

#4 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

AK are you using a pint jar or a hlf pint and how well does the silicone seal back up after you remove the paperclip?

#5 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

I use 1/2 pint jars.
I dont remove the clips from the lids ever there is no need I just use the other injection port to suck the spore water from. I will try and get some Pix soon.

#6 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:50 AM

so you have three siliconed injection ports or 2, i am guessing 3 1 for the airport syringe 1 for the empty syringe and 1 for the paper clip right?

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Not just an Idea, it has been used and works gr8
Thx for the props

indeed
but
to me
it's an idea
as i've already thought of a
couple modifications/improvements...
:dance:

#8 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

What changes do you see? I am getting some rubber grommets shaped like Nipples that will give me more up and down motion WO breaking the seal.
There are 2 holes 1 for the clip and 1 for the "full" needle.
For the suspended one I use an airport but thats just to releive the pressure then I use the same port to suck the spores up.

#9 jestah

jestah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

What about just putting a stir bar/paper clip/whatever into the jar and using a magnet to scrape it along the bottom?

#10 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

Jestah ahs a point and i was told that you had to leave the airport in for the duration of you sucking the solution into the syringe b/c if you didnt it would suck in air bubbles around the needle and contam it?

#11 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:01 AM

How would the bubbles contamn the syringe?
I tried the magnet thing it worked....., but the metal skraper took up print room At the bottom of the jar but it works.

#12 jestah

jestah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

What about holding the paperclip to the side of the glass while taking the print? You could use a jar also with a tyvek covered hole (much larger than the one used in grain jars) to help with a bit of drying to speed up the printing too. This would cover the cap and keep it clean and the air inside super still so any contams on the cap wont get blowen onto your jar....

just a few ideas

jestah

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!