Bump.

#23 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Dammit guys, now I want to watch Donnie Darko again.
Very interesting thread though, I've enjoyed reading it.
I'll probably have some ideas to chime in coming up, I plan to go back to Space and see if the beings have any advice for me lately.
They tend to help when life kicks me on my ass, they know their shit. Anyways, carry on. Times a wastin : P

#24 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Makes me wonder where in the universe is time an absolute constant and under what conditions?

Seeing this reply after the thread got a bump reminded me that Catholic weddings and waiting in line at the DMV are places where time is known to stop completely, and IMO that can be considered to be an interpretation of "an absolute constant" but other than the complete stoppage of time I suspect there is no such thing as "Universal" time except maybe in Greenwich, England.
  • Alder Logs likes this

#25 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hahaha your funny TV, time does certainly stop at the DMV, I think this is caused by a wormhole at the front desk also known as an asshole. :D
  • SteampunkScientist likes this

#26 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes leave me in the car at the market and say, "I'll be right back." I never experienced time distortions like that again until I ate Amanita muscaria.
  • SteampunkScientist likes this

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Bump.

#28 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• OG VIP
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Nice bump, old man.

1. I've often been fascinated how we perceive time as we grow older.

As a child the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas used to creep by. Years felt like, well I didn't have anything to compare to, but it felt like a damn long time.
Now, I judge the passage of time by when bills come due, usually by the month. It always feels like I just paid "that one."

2. Most other wonders about time also deal with the passage of time - time to and from a place (from always feeling shorter), perceived passage of time similar to TV's example (DMV and Catholic wedding).
  • Alder Logs and Spooner like this

#29 MYndsetNebula

MYndsetNebula

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

No to digress from this thread, but even if we met other life forms and they didn't have 10 fingers and 10 toes, their numbering system will be totally different than ours, basically it's all "relative".

It sure is, actually absolutely everything we "know" is relative.

To say time doesn't exist, I would say is not quiet it but hey it's all relative right, the notion of time we confirm to is somewhat flawed, it works to keep us in a linear uniform controlled manner, and more or less really serves us no more than to keep us ticking away at the monotony of the 9-5 existence. "Trading you hours for a handful of dimes" Jim Morrison five to one

If time is only existent to the observer wouldn't that mean that the everything was created with the observer at the same time that time was created?

As Buddhism teaches everything is constantly arising out of nothing

Driedplum I liked that poem, I accidentally read it as

The sniper in the brain, regurgitating drain
Incestuous and vain and many other last names
Oh well I look at my watch it says 9:25 And I think "oh god I'm still slave"

As you might guess I refuse to wear a watch lol.

One of the thoughts I have as a way to explain time is, that it is relative, we perceive it in a linear fashion, as we see where we were the current now and where we are to be headed, from that linear perception of it I take that from the now time actually exists in more of a sphere spread equally all directions out from the current point where exactly in time depends on which paths are chosen, so now time is existing linearly and spherically. With that in mind that packaged thought of time exists basically as a position in the cosmos, to say it is jan 2013 here and now on earth, that is our position in time, well the cosmos at any given moment encapsulates all time that ever was, is, or will be, it is always all present, we may be observing this time at this location, but the blue star people of Sirius or the Pleiadians on the Pleiadies are experiencing there alternate space/time/location at the same time as our time, just in a different quadrant of time/space.

This picture can kind of explain what I'm getting at as you see different sections of space existing all at once but they are timed differently. It all has to do with the point of which observation is taken, which I believe would also break down into different densities and dimensions. From what I've gathered there is not much difference in how particles operate or how galaxies and so on, it just has to do with the scale which has to do with point of observation. Also each and everyone of us is full of these atoms, so possibly depending on what frequency we tune to, which say near the top of that picture is the high side of the positive wave and the bottom of the picture is close to the low side when the wave is negative, if we control our frequencies through our emotions we can tune higher or lower, changing the point of observation of the atoms we are made of, thus altering the dimensional reality of the stuff we are made of. Fractaly that means we have the potential through our emotions to change our dimensions and densities. The idea behind the age of Aquarius is raising the energy of all the people on earth together to a more loving positive frequency and bringing ourselves up to the fifth dimension. Ultimately we are sons/suns? of the atom, we are light, all that is matter is energy/light vibrating at different frequencies. Here on earth we have been trapped in the third dimension which is more dense due to lower frequencies thus we experience gravity as heavy, in higher dimensions of reality things are not as dense and gravity becomes less, as densities get less time would also seem to slow as it would not take the same force to travel these distances. We are earth bound because a low frequency is hard to break free from, we are wrought with quarrels and hate and grievances that keep us down, we can change this ultimately. We are light, we can lighten our shackles on gravity and time and shift up to higher dimensions, all in all we are light we are spirit and flying isn't actually impossible, we could fly back to the sun and visit the source from which we came.

eras_of_universe.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=IkjXp1QgxVY

Now I know this might sound like I've lost my mind or I'm light in my loafers or something lol but I'm not, and this is in twilight zone after all. Peace and light

#30 MYndsetNebula

MYndsetNebula

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Of course that doesn't mean you'd get up to the fifth dimension and realize that hey earth was left way down there, gotta remember relativity, you would still be made of the same stuff, the same amount of stuff, just it would be spread over a larger area, also the ground is still made of the same stuff just spread further, taking up more space, so that I believe is the basis behind this hollow earth theory, is it all exists in layers much like an onion, one might wonder then why we don't look up and see the ground of the fifth? Well, I say, we do, we see it as stars, because of density and relativity from our point of observation they appear distant and spread apart, from there it seems much as things seem here just lighter. You may say that sounds preposterous but take into account that matter is said to be made of 99.999999999% "empty space" so then if that were true you should be able to see through matter here to but you can't because of relativity.

#31 MYndsetNebula

MYndsetNebula

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

Sorry may have gotten off topic a little but that's what happens when I tell my self to define time

#32 MYndsetNebula

MYndsetNebula

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

The very fact that we can distort our own perception of time tells me it cannot be defined as an absolute

#33 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,036 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

[Direct Link]

#34 gremlinchode

gremlinchode

Fed after Midnight

• Expired Member
  • 806 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Experimental Evidence for Time Dilation: Dying Muons

The first clear example of time dilation was provided over fifty years ago by an experiment detecting muons.  (David H. Frisch and James A. Smith, Measurement of the Relativistic Time Dilation Using Muons, American Journal of Physics31, 342, 1963).  These particles are produced at the outer edge of our atmosphere by incoming cosmic rays hitting the first traces of air.  They are unstable particles, with a “half-life” of 1.5 microseconds (1.5 millionths of a second), which means that if at a given time you have 100 of them, 1.5 microseconds later you will have about 50, 1.5 microseconds after that 25, and so on.  Anyway, they are constantly being produced many miles up, and there is a constant rain of them towards the surface of the earth, moving at very close to the speed of light.  In 1941, a detector placed near the top of Mount Washington (at 6000 feet above sea level) measured about 570 muons per hour coming in.  Now these muons are raining down from above, but dying as they fall, so if we move the detector to a lower altitude we expect it to detect fewer muons because a fraction of those that came down past the 6000 foot level will die before they get to a lower altitude detector.  Approximating their speed by that of light, they are raining down at 186,300 miles per second, which turns out to be, conveniently, about 1,000 feet per microsecond.  Thus they should reach the 4500 foot level 1.5 microseconds after passing the 6000 foot level, so, if half of them die off in 1.5 microseconds, as claimed above, we should only expect to register about 570/2 = 285 per hour with the same detector at this level.  Dropping another 1500 feet, to the 3000 foot level, we expect about 280/2 = 140 per hour, at 1500 feet about 70 per hour, and at ground level about 35 per hour.  (We have rounded off some figures a bit, but this is reasonably close to the expected value.)

To summarize: given the known rate at which these raining-down unstable muons decay, and given that 570 per hour hit a detector near the top of Mount Washington, we only expect about 35 per hour to survive down to sea level.  In fact, when the detector was brought down to sea level, it detected about 400 per hour!  How did they survive?  The reason they didn’t decay is that in their frame of reference, much less time had passed.  Their actual speed is about 0.994c, corresponding to a time dilation factor of about 9, so in the 6 microsecond trip from the top of Mount Washington to sea level, their clocks register only 6/9 = 0.67 microseconds.  In this period of time, only about one-quarter of them decay.

What does this look like from the muon’s point of view?  How do they manage to get so far in so little time?  To them, Mount Washington and the earth’s surface are approaching at 0.994c, or about 1,000 feet per microsecond.  But in the 0.67 microseconds it takes them to get to sea level, it would seem that to them sea level could only get 670 feet closer, so how could they travel the whole 6000 feet from the top of Mount Washington?  The answer is the Fitzgerald contraction.  To them, Mount Washington is squashed in a vertical direction (the direction of motion) by a factor of  image023.gif the same as the time dilation factor, which for the muons is about 9.  So, to the muons, Mount Washington is only 670 feet high—this is why they can get down it so fast! (source) Michael Fowler

I read this in a book but just grabbed the first page that I could find that explained it.

#35 gremlinchode

gremlinchode

Fed after Midnight

• Expired Member
  • 806 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

View particle decay with a cloud chamber

[Direct Link]

• ernestro and Spooner like this

#36 gremlinchode

gremlinchode

Fed after Midnight

• Expired Member
  • 806 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

[Direct Link]

• Spooner likes this

#37 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Expired Member
  • 1,546 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Very cool Gremlin. Just as the length of a ruler appears to change it is viewed from different angles, time also is dependent upon your point of reference.

I am all out of "Likes" for the day, but you diserve one.

Edited by Spooner, 11 March 2014 - 10:08 AM.

• gremlinchode likes this

#38 3S1

3S1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

If you have the time, check out 'Pushing Ice' by Alastair Reynolds. Takes time dilation pretty far....

• gremlinchode likes this

#39 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

It's about time...

#40 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

At the place where the quantum reality of mind and matter meet, Science bumps into Magick.  Here the white lab coated, bespectacled, straight laced scientist meets the long-bearded, robe wearing, pointed hat wearing wizard and witch and exclaims:

"What are you doing here?!"

"We've been waiting for you to arrive... it took you long enough."

All that to say, if the bizarre and complex mathematics of Quantum mechanics and  Cosmology flummux you, and if the massive multi-billion dollar atom smashers are out of reach... you can come to understand the same phenomenon through the other door.

:tongue:

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 09 November 2014 - 09:39 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!