249 replies to this topic

#1 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

At last, after decades of the "nannay state" laws :eusa_naug prescribing to their citizens what they can believe or consume from nature. There is a growing awareness amongst those in positions of authority that "the war on drugs" is not working. That the current strategy is a failure and it needs to be reconsidered. The idea behind this thread is to share and quote sources of these voices of dissension. It seams that they are growing louder and more frequent and often from some surprising places.

Let's Be Blunt: It's Time to End the Drug War

300x2002.jpg

April 20 is the counter-culture “holiday” on which lots and lots of people come together to advocate marijuana legalization (or just get high). Should drugs—especially marijuana—be legal? The answer is “yes.” Immediately. Without hesitation. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 seized in a civil asset forfeiture. The war on drugs has been a dismal failure. It’s high time to end prohibition. Even if you aren’t willing to go whole-hog and legalize all drugs, at the very least we should legalize marijuana.

For the sake of the argument, let’s go ahead and assume that everything you’ve heard about the dangers of drugs is completely true. That probably means that using drugs is a terrible idea. It doesn’t mean, however, that the drug war is a good idea.

http://www.forbes.co...d-the-drug-war/

Edited by Tusk Bilasimo, 22 April 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#2 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

lewisprog-300x210.jpg

When Massachusetts voters head to the polls this November, marijuana legalization will be high on the agenda. As long as advocates collect enough signatures by July — which looks likely — Bay Staters will be able to vote on whether pot can be used for medical purposes.

If the cannabis reform ballot succeeds, one man will be able to take much of the credit: Peter Lewis, the billionaire behind insurance giant Progressive, who’s put forward almost every penny being spent on pro-legalization lobbying.

http://www.forbes.co...a-legalization/

#3 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

[h=1]State's Proposal To Legalize Pot Gets Big Push[/h]s-MARIJUANA-LUNGS-large.jpg

On Monday, the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol announced that the Colorado Democratic Party officially endorsed Amendment 64 at its state convention and assembly in Pueblo over the weekend.

In a press statement, Cindy Lowery-Graber, chair of the Denver County Democratic Party, said this about the Democratic support of pot legalization:

"This is a mainstream issue. Polls show that more than 60 percent of Democrats and a solid majority of Independents believe marijuana should be treated like alcohol. A broad coalition is forming in support of Amendment 64 and I am proud to say that it now includes the Colorado Democratic Party."

http://www.huffingto..._n_1429648.html

#4 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Over 300 Economists Agree: It’s Time to Legalize Marijuana

Legalization-Gallup-2011-300x217.jpg

Over 300 economists have signed on to an open letter to the President, Congress, Governors, and State Legislators asking them to allow this “country to commence an open and honest debate about marijuana prohibition.” The petition states that the undersigned “believe such a debate will favor a regime in which marijuana is legal but taxed and regulated like other goods.”

Notably, three of the economists who have already signed on are Nobel Laureates. Three hundred plus additional economic scholars have already signed on, you can view the list and more details here.

http://blog.norml.or...lize-marijuana/

#5 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

New Jersey granted its first permit Monday for a Montclair facility to immediately begin growing medical marijuana, a significant step in the program first legalized more than two years ago.

If Greenleaf Compassion Center also secures a permit for its storefront disciplinary, medicinal marijuana could be available to state residents with chronic diseases by midsummer, said Donna Leusner, spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Senior Services, the agency implementing the program.

http://online.wsj.co...0094370614.html

#6 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

logo_transparent_inside.gif

YAKIMA -- When George Rohrbacher talks about marijuana prohibition, his biggest concern isn't the merits of the drug, but a statistic he likes to call "the butcher's bill."

The numbers add up to about 26 million during the past 40 years. They don't represent the costs of enforcement, but the number of people who have been arrested for using pot.

"Even today, in the year 2012, we will arrest another 850,000 Americans for pot," said Rohrbacher, a former state lawmaker, before a crowd of about 150 people at the Capitol Theatre on Wednesday night. "This is a national disgrace with a local solution.

http://www.thenewstr...-marijuana.html

#7 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Obama: The U.S. will not shift strategies in the war on drugs

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]President Obama emphasized at a summit of leaders from across the Americas that the U.S. would not shift strategies in the war on drugs. His administration had, in recent weeks, faced criticism from some presidents who said the U.S. approach to the drugs trade had simply generated more violence in Latin America.

That wasn't the only thorny issue Obama faced in his trip to Colombia.

The host of the Summit of the Americas, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, is considered one of Washington's closest allies. But speaking to an overflowing banquet hall of CEOs and presidents, Santos said it was perhaps time for a change in drug policy — perhaps a big change.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

http://www.npr.org/2...e-u-s-to-change

#8 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Democrats and Republicans support Colorado’s marijuana legalization push

During their state convention last weekend, Colorado Democrats adopted a party platform that officially calls for the legalization of marijuana, stopping just short of endorsing the Amendment 64, a statewide ballot initiative which seeks to accomplish exactly that later this year.

The Democratic Party’s official support for legalization comes about a month after a slim majority — 56 percent — of Denver County Republicans voted to support Amendment 64, according to Mason Tvert, who’s leading the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol. However, the position was not adopted because of the local party’s requirement of a two-thirds majority to change its platform.

http://digg.com/news...h_the_raw_story

#9 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Here's a good one!!

Marc Emery's U.S. prosecutor urges pot legalization
John McKay once prosecuted B.C.'s 'Prince of Pot' Marc Emery

The former U.S. district attorney who prosecuted B.C. marijuana activist Marc Emery in a cross-border sting is calling for the legalization and taxation of pot in Canada and the U.S.

John McKay, a former U.S. attorney for the western district of Washington State, was joined by Emery's wife Jodie and former B.C. Attorney General Geoff Plant at a lecture in Vancouver on Wednesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...galization.html

#10 MungoFungo

MungoFungo

THE Un-Governable FORCE

• OG VIP
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Its funny!! we can endlessly give examples for reasons to legalize Drugs.....BUT they can't come up with any valid reasons for having them illegal...(unless they are lies.)

All they really want to do is sell military equipment to foreign goverments (mexico) black hawk helicpoters man!!,,,,, IT's .....Just so easy to give them oppresive murderouse govermnets tools to oppress their own "people".......

hahah People..... like the american natives were people of the united stats govenmnet hahahhah...

#11 thejackle

thejackle

Smile =)

• Expired Member
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

one thing i fear more then prohibition, is regulation like Tobacco and alcohol.... Weed is a plant all people should have the right to consume and grow as they please.... why the HELL does tax always have to be involved? whenever there is a marijuana initiative, i read to see what the grow rights are... and theyr not normally good.

Imagine if they get to pick who can grow the supplie and who can't, legally monopolizing the weed market, so now L&M is adding addictives to the weed ciggerets you buy and all the local farmers can't grow because they aren't allowed a permit... i think if marijuana is to be legalized, that there should be NO SACRIFICES. it should come out as open as possible, i think settling for even a little bit less could end up in massive control and could have more problems later on...

#12 MungoFungo

MungoFungo

THE Un-Governable FORCE

• OG VIP
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

not to mention the weed commercials that wouild be on TV, i bet those would suck.........they would ruin weed for me..................T

#13 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

one thing i fear more then prohibition, is regulation like Tobacco and alcohol.... Weed is a plant all people should have the right to consume and grow as they please.... why the HELL does tax always have to be involved? whenever there is a marijuana initiative, i read to see what the grow rights are... and theyr not normally good.

Imagine if they get to pick who can grow the supplie and who can't, legally monopolizing the weed market, so now L&M is adding addictives to the weed ciggerets you buy and all the local farmers can't grow because they aren't allowed a permit... i think if marijuana is to be legalized, that there should be NO SACRIFICES. it should come out as open as possible, i think settling for even a little bit less could end up in massive control and could have more problems later on...

I agree, jackle.
But do you really think that they would actually legalize it without the corporations consent?
Let's face it. there will be no legal weed without taxes and total control.
There will have to be an all out war to change it, and who has all the weapons?
When it is controlled like alcohol or tobacco at least there will be no more arrests for possession and we will be better off than we are now.
The thing that concerns me is them taking away our right to grow our own.
WHEN legalization happens, you should be able to grow your own weed the same way you can make your own beer and wine.
This is one of the proposals and I have no problem with it.

Like i said, it is much better than we have now.

#14 corporal_clegg

corporal_clegg

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

I agree, jackle.
But do you really think that they would actually legalize it without the corporations consent?
Let's face it. there will be no legal weed without taxes and total control.
There will have to be an all out war to change it, and who has all the weapons?
When it is controlled like alcohol or tobacco at least there will be no more arrests for possession and we will be better off than we are now.
The thing that concerns me is them taking away our right to grow our own.
WHEN legalization happens, you should be able to grow your own weed the same way you can make your own beer and wine.
This is one of the proposals and I have no problem with it.

Like i said, it is much better than we have now.

erm, no you don't need a war man. Just declassification. it'll come, you already have medicinal marijuana. Next is deciding that less than 5 grams isn't worth the paperwork, then conceeding that one or two plants is ok. The prohibition of alcohol is very different from the prohibition of weed. That was a law that failed quickly, the weed laws have been there for years, taxes are not an issue. You pay taxes on your revenue anyway, doesn't have to be specifically taxed. If you have a coffeeshop you pay tax on your income

Noticed something someone said about the rise in crime in south america because of the American drugs laws. Isn't that a reason for them to not be changed? Since the u.s. lost of control of S.Am the least they can do is keep them down, it would be in accordance with much of the rest of foreign policy at least.

Long live America!!

#15 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

The prohibition of alcohol is very different from the prohibition of weed. That was a law that failed quickly, the weed laws have been there for years, taxes are not an issue. You pay taxes on your revenue anyway, doesn't have to be specifically taxed. If you have a coffeeshop you pay tax on your income

I am not sure about how much tax is charged on the tobacco or alcohol in the US but here in Canada it is taxed severely. More than half the price of booze and cigs is tax.
The same will happen with cannabis, no doubt about it.

The war I talked about is the one that is needed to remove all of these taxes and control of the corporations.

Noticed something someone said about the rise in crime in south america because of the American drugs laws. Isn't that a reason for them to not be changed? Since the u.s. lost of control of S.Am the least they can do is keep them down, it would be in accordance with much of the rest of foreign policy at least.

This will lead to the legalization of drugs, but they WILL be taxed.
There is no getting away from that.

#16 MerryPrankster

MerryPrankster

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Global Commission says that the war on drugs has failed

The Global Commission on Drug Policy report calls for the legalisation of some drugs and an end to the criminalisation of drug users. The panel includes former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, the former leaders of Mexico, Colombia and Brazil, and the entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson.The US and Mexican governments have rejected the findings as misguided.

Very interesting article. What's more interesting are the BS excuses the US and Mexico give as to why the findings are "misguided". Basically, the commission says that drug policy needs to move from a law enforcement to a humanitarian focus..

#17 corporal_clegg

corporal_clegg

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

@ mushit

yea in ireland it's the same. It's 9.something euro per box now of smokes. I still doubt that weed will be taxed tho. I can't imagine the leap from being one of the most anti-drug countries (US at least, dunno about the northside) in the western world to not only allowing but also taxing cannabis taking less than a hundred years.

In most of euro if you get caught with a bit of weed the worst you can hope for is having it confiscated. If it keeps happening again and again they may start building a case on you to try and crack the bigger fish, in Ireland anyway.

Come to think about it why don't you all just come to Europe? Can't make war for peace if there's no1 to protect. You can all stay at my house. It's be like the old immigrations but backwards. Come on home

#18 benderislord

benderislord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

eh i say we give'em a good routing! they thought they got their asses handed to them at the Alamo let's show them that was nothing! in the words of anne "we've got them surrounded! break out the dogs and helicopters! put them to trial for war crimes!" and in mine own words "bring back the guillotine!! set it up at the Lincoln memorial! lop off heads into the needle filled reflecting pool until they start to act like adults!"

#19 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Initiative to regulate, tax marijuana stirs lively discussion at forum

seattletimeslogo_inside_pulitzer.gif

If there's one thing that brings people together, it's this: Marijuana regulation is a mess.

But the granular details about how to fix it divided a panel of law-enforcement and public-health experts convened Thursday night to debate Initiative 502, a landmark proposal to regulate and tax marijuana like liquor that is on the November ballot.

John McKay, who filed the initiative after witnessing the "complete failure" of marijuana prohibition as the U.S. Attorney in Seattle for six years, said legalization was a "simple solution.".

http://seattletimes....rijuana27m.html

#20 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Tax marijuana, says B.C. mayors' coalition

hi-bc-120426-marijuana-8col.jpg

Mayors from eight B.C. communities have added their voices to calls to the provincial government to regulate and tax marijuana as part of a strategy to end gang violence and make communities safer.

Mayors from Vancouver, Burnaby, North Vancouver City, Vernon, Armstrong, Enderby, Lake Country and Metchosin made the argument in an April 26 letter to B.C.'s premier, Opposition NDP leader and B.C. Conservative Party leader.

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson was unavailable for comment Thursday, but Coun. Kerry Jang, who is also professor of psychiatry at the University of British Columbia, said the current federal laws have failed.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne.../><br /></span>

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!