Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How do YOU heat your incubator?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: How do YOU heat your incubator?

How do YOU heat your incubator?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

I was making a new heat bomb and a thought came to mind.
It would be interesting to see how many different ways mycelium could be kept at a perfect temperature for growth.
Personally I have used only the TiT and the heat bomb. I have never used a heating pad or anything else, other than room temperature.

I started with TiT and found there was too much condensation build up. This is when I went to the heat bomb and never looked back.

I don't want this thread to be about me. I want to hear how YOU do it.
Post pics, describe a method, pros, cons, all that shit.

OK, back to me. :lol:
The heat bomb I use is just a fish tank heater inserted in a lid of a 1 1/2 litre V8 bottle. No need for silicone, just screw the lid on a bottle that has been filled with distilled water and insert the heater through the hole in tne lid.
Plug it in and bobs your uncle.

Ok, back to you.

#2 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Tub in tub seems to suit my needs best.
If I have too many jars the shelf above is the second choice.

#3 mushrooms

mushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

I fill one tub up with water and bleach. Then put the heater in and lid on it. Then I put another tub on top of it and walaaa... It makes a nice heating pad. Pretty stealthy too. Can be disguised as a laundry bin.

#4 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Never could get the whole TIT thing to work for me. After three attempts, with two different submersible heaters, I gave up.
Made a heatbomb from a simple six dollar aquarium heater, and a one-liter dejablue bottle.
The chamber itself is a repurposed styrofoam shipping box, about 2 1/2 foot, square.
Works like a charm, and I can get at least 18 qts in there, if needed.

#5 Deepmeditator

Deepmeditator

DeepMediTated

• Expired Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Lucky room temp in the mid 80s, cake just laying on a clean space while mycellium rips trough it agressively and fast

#6 RITTER

RITTER

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I fill one tub up with water and bleach. Then put the heater in and lid on it. Then I put another tub on top of it and walaaa... It makes a nice heating pad. Pretty stealthy too. Can be disguised as a laundry bin.

Works for me to......:rasta:

#7 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

3 story condo, set the heat on the first floor to 73-75F. The heat rises, so 2nd floor is about 75-77F usually. 3rd floor is more exposed, so it's around 79-83F in the day and 74-79F at night. I find the fluctuating day/night temperatures work well for fruiting, and 75-77 is slightly sub-optimal for incubation, but it works and doesn't promote much contamination.

#8 mushrooms

mushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Never could get the whole TIT thing to work for me. After three attempts, with two different submersible heaters, I gave up.
Made a heatbomb from a simple six dollar aquarium heater, and a one-liter dejablue bottle.
The chamber itself is a repurposed styrofoam shipping box, about 2 1/2 foot, square.
Works like a charm, and I can get at least 18 qts in there, if needed.

I had one like that, but it didn't work for some reason... :(

#9 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

I have used the TiT many times but had quite a bit of moisture from condensation.
It never was a problem as far as incubating was concerned, just a little messy.

#10 Soulocybin

Soulocybin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 82 posts

Donator

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:08 PM

I do TIT myself with Hydor 50W adjustable aquarium heater.Simple efficient and has served me well.

#11 elfstone

elfstone

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Donator

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

I spliced a light bulb fixture onto a rheostat and clipped it to the inside of an old fashioned computer table with a sliding keyboard drawer and lid. It keeps the ambient incubation temperature inside the chamber at an even 80F quite reliably. Simple but effective.

Edited by elfstone, 13 January 2016 - 12:06 AM.

• Fresh Brewed likes this

#12 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...r-construction/An old post of yours truly

#13 LiveShareDie

LiveShareDie

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Ambient room temp, the myc raises this a few degrees.

LOL, at you crazies with 'room temp' around mid 80's! Wow.

A more rugged bunch than me. I'm a sweat heap at anything over low 70's.

#14 Opalguy

Opalguy

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 116 posts

Donator

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:58 AM

I guess what I use would be considered a heating pad. It is a heated rectangle, used to heat a doghouse outdoors. In my 5x7 tent I have areas in the mid to high 70's and down close to the platform I get 80's. I use reflectix around the outsideperimeter(inside the tent) to avoid cold spots. Mush bags with filter patches give up a bit of moisture and keep it humid. Mycelium runs are not  screaming fast, but they are fast enough to beat the contaminants.

#15 Jacksdaripper

Jacksdaripper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

i keep my jars in an unheated room that stays at 68 deg(as long as im not germinating spores). and ive never looked back. no contamination and no condensation buildup and after 3 months no myc piss. i do my spawn jars at 50% moisture content in case you were wondering 

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

i keep my jars in an unheated room that stays at 68 deg(as long as im not germinating spores). and ive never looked back. no contamination and no condensation buildup and after 3 months no myc piss. i do my spawn jars at 50% moisture content in case you were wondering

I wasn't wondering but now I am. What's your grain process?

#17 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

Holy shit! It lives.
Glad to see people digging up old topics.
It seems there are a few favourites that we use for heating.
I would like to try a heating pad but I am too damn cheap.
It has been quite a while since I did anything with this hobby, but the room temp one is the latest I used.

#18 Kmmfarm

Kmmfarm

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:25 AM

used to have an old refrigerator that i converted into an incubator. Used a blow dryer and a thermostat worked like the bomb, and could hold 8 dozen jars at a time.

#19 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 554 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

used to have an old refrigerator that i converted into an incubator. Used a blow dryer and a thermostat worked like the bomb, and could hold 8 dozen jars at a time.

Sounds like my home brew setup. Once upon a time. The fridge also kept the yeast smell inside and I'd only open the fridge when I could have the windows open.

• Kmmfarm likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!