#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Always good to decarboxylate the leaf/trim to turn the THC-acid (non-psychoactive) into delta 9 THC.

Decarboxylation

By Ed Rosenthal - Monday, July 21 2003

What's the best temperature to extract cannabinoids?

Im a medical user who dilutes extracts and uses them sublingually. I bought a Coldfinger to make an extract. My question is: does marijuana have to be heated to become psychoactive?

My solution was to put the marijuana in the oven before putting it in the Coldfinger. I have no idea how long I should leave it in the oven or at what temperature. THC boils at 392 degrees. Do other cannabinoids which are essential to the experience boil off much more quickly? At what temperature can I decarboxylate the THC, while still preserving the cannabinoids?

Hockey Poo,
Internet

When marijuana is harvested, the THC molecule is bound to a carboxyl group ? COOH ? that is, one atom each of carbon and hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen. With a carboxyl group attached, THC is not active.

Heating dried marijuana makes the carboxyl group convert into water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). When marijuana is smoked, the burning eliminates the carboxyl group. There are several ways to decarboxylate marijuana for use in extracts. A layer of marijuana buds or leaf can be placed in an oven at 150 degrees for 15 minutes. This is far below the boiling point of THC yet warm enough to evaporate the carboxyl group. Another method of releasing the COOH is by placing a bowl of buds in the microwave for 2 minutes. The waves will boil away the water. The boiling point of marijuana's active cannabinoids ranges from 260-392 degrees F.

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the post hyph. That was my next direction was to do a pre bake. The info you posted gave me exactly what I was looking for.

I guess I thought that the thc would decarboxylate when baking in the brownies.

#4 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

I think decarboxylation is probably complete after the simmer in the oil.

Brick weed is usually old and overly dried too...probably mostly decarbed due to age

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Original recipe

1 oz brick weed (or better)
1 1/3 cup oil
This makes 4 – 1/3 cup portions

Refined recipe

Strong
1 oz brick weed (or better)
2/3 cup oil
+
¼ cup oil (to help balance what gets absorbed into the weed that you can't press out)
This makes 2 – 1/3 cup portions

Light
1/2 oz brick weed (or better)
2/3 cup oil
+
¼ cup oil (to help balance what gets absorbed into the weed that you can't press out)
This makes 2 – 1/3 cup portions

grind weed
turn burner on low
add oil to pan – use good heavy small sauce pan
add weed to pan
heat to 275 for 15 min – may need to raise temp slightly (2 on my burner)
raise temp and cook between 350 – 380 for 30 min
look for light simmer not full on boil
remove from heat
strain

Attached Thumbnails

• photo-6.JPG
  • photo-5.JPG
  • photo-4.JPG
  • photo-3.JPG
  • photo-2.JPG
  • photo-1.JPG

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

store bought brownie mix uses 1/3 cup oil
if box of brownie mix uses more oil then 1/3 cup use 1/3 cup thc oil and then supplement the rest with regular oil
8X8 pan makes 8 servings

Dose

Light – Newbie to light smoker
½ of a portion and supplement with other ½ at 1.5 hrs
½ brownie gave report of nice fun ride by someone who smokes a couple of times a year. Another time by same guy and supplemented at 1 ½ hours with other half and had nice long evening of chill. For newbie ½ was strong and supplementing with the other ½ was lights out.

Light – heavy smoker
1 ½ gives nice strong buzz
2 gets pretty fun but hard to choke down a couple of brownies all the time or go beyond 2 brownies

Strong – heavy smoker
½ nice buzz
1 strong buzz
1 ½ fun ride

the heavy smoker is a big guy who rolls joints that run around 1 gram each. Some times a little bigger some times a little smaller. He will smoke 2 in the morning 1 at lunch and 2 in the evening. He found that eating 1 brownie from the strong oil recipe got him through the day to dinner then if needed would redoes after dinner for the evening. On occasion would supplement an evening does with a joint or 2 late in the evening. On a weekend 1 ½ gave a nice ride that enhanced music and concerts very well but started to decrease in social desires.

your results may very
consider weight of person when dosing
and as with every other recipe remember the buzz creaps on you wait for at least an hour to 1 ½ hours.

Brick weed is brick weed where ever you go. Some will be better then others. But its always pretty much the same crap that you get for give or take - $80 - $100 an oz
It seems to be the only thing I can get my hands on but I could never find a good simple recipe for making baked goods that was not based of medicinal, leaf, trim, or what ever other form of pot they were extracting the THC from and was not brick weed. I found a good guide to making pot brownies on the internet. I based my original recipe off of this guide.

Next on agenda will be looking into the decarboxylation process and eventually a cost vs quality comparison of using a better quality of weed.

PBK

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,534 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Recipe looks good.
Thanks for the article - temperature tolerances are nice to know.
I like pressbud brownies. They are, IMO, better than kind brownies and have a really great buzz.
The recipe I follow recommends:

4 oz. - 1/4 pound - any grade of brown brick weed - pressbud
1.5 liters of your favorite cooking oil
Simmer as directed above
You must stir constantly while processing large batches to prevent scorching the oil on the bottom of the pan.
Infused olive oil with garlic, rosemary, oregano, cracked pepper, and other herbs makes a great dip for bread. You can also use this to coat various pasta dishes like ravioli and tortellini.
Infused cooking oils go great in brownies. I like the Hershey's mixes because they call for 1/2 cup of oil making for a much stronger brownie.
Great pics and nice write up.

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Myc
do you go through the decarboxylation process with your weed before your extract into the oil?
Looks like the recipe that I am following is on track with yours when I scale up i will be a little less oil then you use.
any insight into the difference between pressbud and kindbud brownies. I figured it would have been the other way round?
I have often wondered if the 4X difference in price for kindbud would actually make a 4X better brownie.
But i guess when your getting down to the kindbud there are probably better applications or ways for extracting it then in cooking oil

I have also wondered if there could be benefit of "washing" the pressbud before extracting it. thinking that grinding the weed up and soaking it in H2O or maybe even boiling it for a little bit of time would help clean it of dirt and other things not knowing where it came from and how it was grown.

#9 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

I would avoid washing the bud you will just lose trichomes, possibly water curing would help. Maybe do a hash or hash oil extraction then make the oil/butter, or you can wash the oil/ butter with water after you make it to help the taste. The bette rthe bud the better the edibles, no doubt. Kb will make superior oil/ butter in taste and certainly potency

#10 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,534 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Here is the recipe I use:
https://mycotopia.ne...tml<br /><br />Took me forever to locate. Whew
I just drop whole buds into the Cuisinart and let 'er rip
My adjustment is adding 1.5oz of herb to the oil rather than just 1oz. (for kind bud)

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:01 AM

good read thanks myc. It looks like I am on the similar path. When I first read it looked as if it was just another recipe to be used with Kind Bud. But I see that it gives measurements for brick weed also now. That being said it looks as if I am following pretty much the same amounts and technique. Temp/time wise we are different. MrChen uses lower temp for almost 2 x the time. I don't doubt the recipe, but it seems like the temp used in that recipe is good for decarbing but I thought the temp was higher for extraction. Maybe that is just higher temp for efficiency of extraction and the lower temp requires the longer time?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!