23 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

This is a weed I am positive everyone knows of but only some of us actually eat it :) It has many uses and is now being served in expensive salads we should be eating this plant out of our lawns instead of trying to kill it This year I plan on making some dandelion wine :) Here is a wikipedia link to show the uses of this valuable herbal :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum The only dangers associated with dandelions is people spraying their lawn with toxic chemicals I eat dandelion greens they thought us in school we can eat the flower buds smothered in salt and butter kinda like Brussel sprouts in taste I am positive by the taste they are loaded with nutrition and you can make dandelion wine with the open flowers ... the latex has several medicinal properties I think removing warts is one may or may not work the root can be boiled to make a coffee substitute I think you can roast the root for a better flavor The seeds can be also used I once had an idea to sell the seeds it was a joke really people would buy it as a gag lol but the proceeds would go toward herbal research because Dandelions are our Number one over looked herbal I think the seeds could be used in cooking and they are not that difficult to collect theey are a noxious weed that grows in our lawn the lawn mower spreads them around well https://mycotopia.ne...77&d=1335961039 https://mycotopia.ne...78&d=1335961040 feel free to add more pictures of this one if you want I have some other cool ones to add later too I thought the little bees were cute in this one :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2864.JPG
  • IMG_2862.JPG

• ElPirana likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,712 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Maybe it's time to hand-raise a few and try them out finally.

I've spent years waging battles (unsuccessfully) against these invaders of the lawn.
Perhaps if I start raising them - they'll give up in the yard? LOL
Doesn't that always seem to be the case? When you foster something, it expresses reluctance to grow.
Will be collecting seed heads and trying these as food soon.
  • wildedibles and bezevo like this

#3 MushroomPortal

MushroomPortal

Padawan

• Expired Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

When I go hiking I collect dandelion flowers, and when I get home I make tea out of them. Never noticed any medicinal actions, but it's tasty.
  • wildedibles likes this

#4 Dr.Psilo.

Dr.Psilo.

Scribbly signature

• Expired Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Wow the amount of vitamins and minerals in the leaves blew me away!
  • wildedibles likes this

#5 MushroomPortal

MushroomPortal

Padawan

• Expired Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

"According to the USDA Bulletin #8, "Composition of Foods" (Haytowitz and Matthews 1984), dandelions rank in the top 4 green vegetables in overall nutritional value. Minnich, in "Gardening for Better Nutrition" ranks them, out of all vegetables, including grains, seeds and greens, as tied for 9th best. According to these data, dandelions are nature's richest green vegetable source of beta-carotene, from which Vitamin A is created, and the third richest source of Vitamin A of all foods, after cod-liver oil and beef liver! They also are particularly rich in fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and the B vitamins, thiamine and riboflavin, and are a good source of protein."

Source - http://www.leaflady...._dandelions.htm
  • wildedibles likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

:) Eat your weeds :)
Thank you for helping me spread the nutritional knowledge

#7 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

http://frugalliving....ion_Recipes.htm

dandelion fritters are delicious!
  • wildedibles likes this

#8 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

If I see any around I'll try them out. Heard about them being edible long ago but still haven't tried it but am most definitely interested. Thanks wildedibles for bringing them back into my thoughts.
  • wildedibles likes this

#9 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Ha sanyone here tried dandelion wine? My uncle used to make it but I was just a little kid then and never got to try any. Is it any good?
  • wildedibles likes this

#10 Danko

Danko

Heathen

• Expired Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

When I was around 18 some friends of mine moved into an old stagecoach house and we found about 20 jugs of dandelion wine in the basement. It tasted horrible and the hangover was enormous. I also remember my mother making fried dandelion flowers, usually when she was frying up a batch of morels.
  • wildedibles likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

I made a few batches last year
they were good some went to vinegar tho
I didnt know how to do it properly there
are some recipes at this thread :)
https://mycotopia.ne...91272-mead.html

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

This world is an awesome place and provides all that we need. We just have to turn off the bullshit TV and undo the consumerist brainwashing and then listen to her.
  • wildedibles likes this

#13 Peyote

Peyote

Peyote Coyote

• OG VIP
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

wow dandelions are that useful and good!? maybe some pharmaceutical company should lobby the government to get them made illegal
  • wildedibles likes this

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

This is why I am going outside to take pictures to show everyone what we can eat and how to eat and others can share how and what to eat too
my goal is to explore the world around us, even say the first 100 feet around our homes our work even

The one thing I like most about dandelions :) is they can grow in our citys very well :) they are strong and they do not give up run them over with the lawn mower they duck and pop back up when they can :) lol

https://mycotopia.ne...84&d=1336050976

LOL Peyote Dandelion crack for ya lol ^

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1253.JPG

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Damn it Peyote! Now the bastards will.......... :lol: Dandelion crack, you two summed it up and handed it to them...I expect feds at any moment now!
  • wildedibles likes this

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

The above was fertilized with liquid ferts too lol can u guess what kind lol

#17 Ilia

Ilia

mycophILIAc

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

ah yeah dandelions ...
I was first introduced to the dandelions by stumbling into a dandelion festival in a park during a random walk some 10 or more years ago :)
There were many tasty creations involving dandelions.
However it wasn't until last year that our family actually started to eat them for ourselves from our own yard. Just lack of mindfulness I guess.

These days I like to chase down particularly heavy bong hits with a fresh salad. go out to the back yard and just pick a few dandelion leaves and chew, then eat some sorrel and finish off with some mint. All growing in the back yard without watering - marvellous :)
  • wildedibles likes this

#18 Synapse

Synapse

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Dandelions grow on you! I have been eating the dandelion greens for a few years now and I love em!

At first I had eaten some greens that had come from a mature dandelion and it was very bitter.
It's best to find some dandelion greens before the flower comes. Then the greens are less bitter.

But now I like the bitterness and will eat them at any stage of there life. I feel great after eating dandelions, almost like I'm energized! Maybe its just in my head. lol

Just gotta make sure where you are grazing from was not treated/polluted with any kind of lawn care product or weed killer.
  • Myc and wildedibles like this

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I think picking and eating our food this fresh we do feel the energies from the plant technically they are true live food pick and eat
I heard on a nature show once that animals having no hands to pick their food they use their mouths they feel the energies and pick certain leaves they may touch one leaf and not like it and move on to the next one if they sense that it is better they will eat that one instead
I don't think it is all in your head maybe it is all in your mouth lol :)

#20 MutterNatur

MutterNatur

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for this nice info... I didn't know that you can make wine with it. But I have to try it!
  • wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!