13 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

So I have some questions and would like some opinions/answers

It has been suggested and I have read a lot about Decarboxylationof your weed before extracting it.

What I don't understand is that it seems to be an extra un-needed step when making baked goods such as Brownies made with oil that you have extracted the THC in.

first I am going to bake my weed (for purpose of decarboxylation)
then I am am going to extract my weed in the heated oil
then I am going to bake my brownies

won't all of those steps in essence take care of the decarboxylation?

since I am already going to heat my weed in the oil for the extraction, won't it take care of the decarboxylation at the same time it extracts the THC?

does the pre bake for decarboxylation purposes make it easier or get more of the THC Extracted into the oil? Does it make the THC more stable for when your are baking later?

Along these lines comes another question. How long is long enough when extracting. I see recipes for butter that let it simmer in the butter for 8 hours. The recipe I have for the cooking oil has you simmer it for 30-45 min. I would think that there would have to be a general minimum/maximum but there is such a WIDE difference on the times for extraction.

Thoughts?

#2 Dr.Psilo.

Dr.Psilo.

Scribbly signature

• Expired Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

I personally simmer my oil and ground cannabis on the stove for about 15 minutes prior to adding it to my recipe.

#3 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

In my experience, and opinion, the process of making thc infused oil with heat will decarboxylate the THC. There is more than enough heat.

It MAY be of benefit if you were to say...do a butter extraction in water...where the temp maxes out at boiling. Even in this case it would probably just speed up the process a bit.

Oil, or straight butter, I do 15-20 mins.

Butter I like to do for at least 75 minutes when mixed with water.

Decarboxylation happens the entire time, as soon as the plant starts to dry. Heat just speeds it up.

Nice avatar Dr. :)

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Decarbox is a certain temp for a certain time. Like in that other post 250 to 260C for 15 mind or so. It's not mandatory, it just helps. Also it makes the material drier, which in turn helps thc-acid change to psychoactive delta9 THC. Decarboxulation is done in a dry setting... Your oven, simmering in butter is in a wet setting and is often different temp then optimum Decarboxulation.

It is an extra step that takes only 15 minutes or so but it lends to extra potency. Not essential, but beneficial.

It especially comes into play when making edibles. THC acid is non-psychoactive (still medicinal though) , but for getting high you need delta 9 THC.

Just drying and simmering in butter at a guesstimated random temp will do, but decarboxing and simmering at the correct temps can improve potency.

Edited by hyphaenation, 03 May 2012 - 07:55 PM.

• TheObserver likes this

#5 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Not a guesstimate, should be around 280 degrees...

You can smell when the decarb happens.

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I wasn't recommending guesstimating... Just saying lots of people say..."no need to decarboxing cause I'm simmering in butter etc" , but usually the same people take no note of temps they are simmering at.

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Thanks all. Hypeh thanks for jumping in again on this one. Hope you did not think I was not believing what you posted in my oil for brownie thread was just wanting more info on it and the whys and hows. found an interesting article on the net. the guy uses some different terms and spellings but brings a lot of what is said here up too

http://increationwet...ml<br /><br />it does support the dry decarboxylation over the wet

Edited by PsyBearknot, 03 May 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

No worries. I was just bantering.. Trying to throw my 2 cents worth in to the mix. Always shop around for knowledge, especially when speaking of Cannabis. We're all learning.

#9 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

That page does make a good point about making butter using water, and then baking drop cookies (9 minutes)...I do believe a decarboxylation would be beneficial before this process. I have a hunch this is why people think the 24 hour method is beneficial, because they are under baking their edibles and never really bringing the fats to the proper temperature in the first place.

Decarbox is a certain temp for a certain time.

That was the best answer.

#10 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

I do a cold acetone (or ISO) extraction and evap the solvent in a largish steel bowl over a pan of simmering water under my range hood.

When all the solvent is gone and the oil is still warm, add in the required butter and stir to combine with the oil.

Then add your brownie mix or whatever and bake.

if you want to know the exact weight for dosing purposes, weigh the empty bowl first, then again after the solvent is evapped.

Divide that by the number of brownies/cookies and you have your answer.

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

I do a cold acetone (or ISO) extraction and evap the solvent in a largish steel bowl over a pan of simmering water under my range hood.

I've done something similar in the past. When doing this, have you gone outside to check if there happens to be a lingering cloud that smells distinctly like acetone in your yard? I ask because on one particularly still day (no wind, probably an inversion layer too) I went outside during one of these extractions and could smell it; I think if anyone had stopped by (like a meter reader) they would've thought I was running a meth lab, so I've never vented more than a minimal amount of any solvents to the atmosphere since. Don't mean to veer off-topic, but this is something I wouldn't want to see cause anyone to get busted!

And don't forget to isomerize! :headbang:

#12 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

When all the solvent is gone and the oil is still warm, add in the required butter and stir to combine with the oil.

Then add your brownie mix or whatever and bake.

if you want to know the exact weight for dosing purposes, weigh the empty bowl first, then again after the solvent is evapped.

Divide that by the number of brownies/cookies and you have your answer.

Do you pre-decarboxylate the plant material in the oven?

Rick Simpson does something similar, no mention of decarboxylation a head of time...unless I miss read his process.

I want to make some nice extract with my dry-ice hash left overs.

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

If this was a game-show, that would be the $420 question.

#14 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I've done something similar in the past. When doing this, have you gone outside to check if there happens to be a lingering cloud that smells distinctly like acetone in your yard? I ask because on one particularly still day (no wind, probably an inversion layer too) I went outside during one of these extractions and could smell it; I think if anyone had stopped by (like a meter reader) they would've thought I was running a meth lab, so I've never vented more than a minimal amount of any solvents to the atmosphere since. Don't mean to veer off-topic, but this is something I wouldn't want to see cause anyone to get busted!

And don't forget to isomerize! :headbang:

There's one of the benefits of rural living - no neighbors near enough to be of concern. My meter-reader is a hippy-looking guy anyway. And - I just got my "smart" meter installed. Do they even have to come here to read it?

Rick Simpson does something similar, no mention of decarboxylation a head of time...unless I miss read his process.

I want to make some nice extract with my dry-ice hash left overs.

If the material is fresh and wet, I'll dry it in the oven, but I'm depending on the baking process for decarb.

Here's another recipe using oil, which I posted before, but it bears repeating. This recipe simmered for about 20 min and that seems to be enough, because one bite made my face fall off.

For those bored with brownies - Ice Cream Sandwiches!!!

https://mycotopia.ne...sandwiches.html

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!