Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

Are they hollow?

Nope ...dense and thick.

will clone the big ones tomorrow. they are in fridge in bags.

#363 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

Are you going to clone to grain or just make a puck and put some mushroom meat in there again?

Will try a few ways to be sure and not fuck up.

Wanting to display that cubensis can indeed be cloned via cardboard to grain in the same jar by way of the 'cloning machine idea and so will be doing wbs in jars with cardboard discs , PC'd and clone chunk added in GB-type setup.

Edited by hyphaenation, 12 June 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#364 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

I haven't even got into it with observations about various aspects of this grow the way I'd like to. Updating pictures is a given , but as for text on feelings about pressed vs. non-pressed , pucks vs. log etc is unavailable at this time. I'm literally to busy , and to swamped , not to mention its been raining literal pounds of cubensis Redboy.

I do intend , and hope to answer questions like "why marios and super-marios when first came ropeysnakes? And what's next ? " etc

I hope you have enjoyed this thread thus far.

#365 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I know I have enjoyed it
I can understand the busy part too I feel like I have a million things to do and I cant catch up
The pictures have been amazing to see
Love the poop style
When I first started here I learned about pucks think they are really cool
I really want to do the pop bottle fruiting think this is a neat way to keep it compact and a bottom watering method
I have a few cactus seeds started in pop bottles hanging from my window I am using small pop bottles for that
I have a few larger pop bottles that I want to use for my mushrooms so Thank you for the great ideas :)

#366 tokmour

tokmour

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

WOWWWIE are these more how you remember them being from last time? when you get these guys cloned, please please please donate! xDDD

#367 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Will try a few ways to be sure and not fuck up.

Wanting to display that cubensis can indeed be cloned via cardboard to grain in the same jar by way of the 'cloning machine idea and so will be doing wbs in jars with cardboard discs , PC'd and clone chunk added in GB-type setup.

I cant wait .......:teeth:

#368 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

Redboy Super Mario Clones

I wanted to clone comically gigantic Redboy Super Marios from tub#2. They are beyond a doubt the funniest , most dense and bizarre looking shrooms I have ever grown.

Posted Image

Since this Redboy is quite an aggressive Cubie strain I wanted to clone it onto grain , by way of cardboard discs , in what I call my cloning machine.

https://mycotopia.ne...ng-machine.html

So I soaked some WBS from morning until night (several hours) , then lightly simmered it for 45 minutes. Drained well in the sink in a colander that had screening placed over it for the small seeds.

Pardon the pictures , not the quality I usually like.

Posted Image

I always run lots of cold water through the grain to rinse it out. Let it drain a bit , then place a pot lid over it , hold it tight and whip it in the sink to force out the last of the extra water. You can't have to much in there.

When it was drained I filled all the various jars and containers I was using. I left a small space at the top for cardboard and paper discs. Placed that on and then lids with breathers and tinfoil cover for PC'ing.

Posted Image

The disks were cut out of the of the tops of egg cartons. Something I know colonizes well and also coffee filter paper , which I also noticed earlier in this thread that Cubensis mycelium loved it.

Posted Image

I used my 'uber ghetto GB ... Glove Bag. Which was nothing more than a new clear garbage bag on a table. Cleaned myself up , loaded the bag with freshly cooling wbs/cardboard jars , PC'd utensils (few spoons , kinves wrapped in tinfoil) , plate with a bowl on top with #1 Super mario (biggest one).

Posted Image

Here's what the Super Marios looked like just before dissection.

Posted Image Posted Image

I began with gloved hands to open the jar bands and tinfoil to prepare for the cloning. Removed a PC'd spoon from the tinfoil and began scraping the "skin" off of Super Mario #1 into the bowl. I turn it slowly and scrape down to pull the whole skin off. Once I've gone around and everywhere I move the bowl and change sppons to a fresh one. I start scraping downwards onto the plate , inner-core mycelium shavings.

Then I use a clean spoon to transfer them into their jars and containers , and replace lid. Sorry i don't have a picture of this stage , to tricky to film.

Then I clean up , flip the extra tinfoil out of the bag , move bowl out and plate and bring in new clean bowl and plate for clone #2. First I mark all the SM 1 clones with a marker.

Then I repeat for each isolate.

The leftovers in the bowl , the outside shavings and even the caps blued up a lot.

Posted Image

Now the clone jars in a warm place in a dark box. I'll check on them in the next several days to look for signs of growth. I always try and get a bit of the mycelium on the side of the jar so i can visually see it growing through the cardboard/paper.

The extra chunk of stalk from each isolate i placed in a marked baggie in the fridge. I will try some other techniques with them just to spread around my chances of success.

More later.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_00000103.jpg
  • IMG_00000110.jpg
  • IMG_00000115.jpg
  • IMG_00000119.jpg
  • IMG_00000130.jpg
  • IMG_00000131.jpg
  • IMG_00000126.jpg
  • IMG_00000108.jpg
  • IMG_00000120.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 13 June 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#369 cactus-pits

cactus-pits

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

this is such a fantastic thread..and by the looks of all your threads, you are a curious, inventive and brilliant soul..I am always interested in what you are up to...inspiring, to say the least.

#370 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

Anyone who is interested in "owning" this bizarre , potent sub-strain of Cubensis , historically known as Redboy , but unlike any of it's commercially available relatives ... please be advised that this gem of psilocybe history , this branch , is forever called Redgirl , in honour of Mrs. Hippie3 , for all her accomplishments and to recognize that she is one fantastic psychedelic matron. It will be exclusively available through Mycrotopia , a company she runs.

If you are interested in getting on the list for ordering this Redgirl sub-strain , containing Super marios and bonus coins , realizing it will be available in due course as time allows , and that proceeds will go to the curator of this living-museum called Mycotopia , please email:

[email protected]

Say , put me on the Redgirl waiting list ...

You will not be disappointed. I believe this to be amongst the strongest Cubensis out there , and fricking bizarre to watch grow , as you have just seen in this thread.

These spores will be available nowhere else. It is a Mycotopia exclusive.

REDGIRL

Get it ... the double entendre ?

You will if you think about it long enough.

A double entendre is a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first (more obvious) meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué or ironic.

Edited by hyphaenation, 16 June 2012 - 03:20 AM.

• plantman21 and wildedibles like this

#371 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

Oh , and this thread is going to continue , better than ever. With a bunch of gaps filled in for commentary on various aspects of this grow. The good blue-lord willing a Super Mario isolate aspect coming up soon.

Please stay tuned.

#372 KartyacArrest

KartyacArrest

ಠ_ಠ

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm friggen excited to see that clone do it's business! Once I get my hands on these spores, I'm doing the same. The world needs a little more mario mushrooms...

#373 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

How many times can I say this is an amazing thread?

Props, Hyphae. I respect your style and skills immensely.

You have a way of manifesting the subtle qualities which make Mycotopia special. You have that wonderful, yet ephemeral, ability to inspire and impress without being a braggart.

Utter props, man.

You are a huge credit to the site.

#374 tokmour

tokmour

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

i want these as well!

#375 Tusk Bilasimo

Tusk Bilasimo

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 798 posts

Donator

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

I am in line for a date with the RedGirl :love:

#376 Nande

Nande

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Very good these mushrooms.

:greenboun

#377 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

:love: thanks guys!
when you email me to be put on the list include your user name please.

#378 toolfreak

toolfreak

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Just submitted my name for the redgirl waiting list! :) cant wait, love the looks of these mushrooms will go so nicely with my mario tattoo lol

#379 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Awesome!
absobally-lutely Fantastic!
now someone just has to isolate out a massive cap sub strain, and combine it with a mario! Psylocybe Gargantua?

#380 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

Had to shut things down a bit for a few reasons. Firstly , an over abundance of dried fruits almost overwhelmed me , over 900 grams dry from the sum of everything in two flushes , but beyond that ... got the "inlaws" dropping in unexpected with a days notice and could not in good faith keep things rolling. The smell of dehydrating mushrooms alone was a major issue , not to mention locked rooms and the sounds of fans and heaters. Had to play it safe , and didn't want to be greedy either. This grow was blessed with bounty by the myco-Gods already.

I laid everything in beds well hidden outside. Some , like the 1.5 inch sub that fruited 2 fat harvests already looked haggard. There was an enormous 10 inch and fat mushroom growing and rotting on the bottom of the sub as I showed earlier and the sub broke while flipping it. everything else didn't owe anything either , so I placed it outside where I hope with some babying will continue to produce , if the weather cooperates.

All the tubs were cleaned with water and dishsoap , then boiling water added. They sat like that for a couple hours , then were swished around with lid on and hosed out.

Cleaned up everything well , and opened windows to allow rank mushroom smells to clear.

In the past week that this has been going on , the temps dropped in the room the clone-jars were in. I didn't want to toss them because they are valuable Super Mario collectibles , so I let them chill out in the low 60's ambient , in an out of the way place.

Now the "outlaws" are gone and I turned the heat back up. I wanted to check what was going on because the heavy-duty super blueing of the stalk fragments , almost to black , worried me that they might not rebound to catch on the cardboard discs and then the WBS. I had to check.

Opening them in the open air is not a good option , at all. Opening uncolonized grain jars is never a good thing in my books ... So I decided to use the ever handy Uber-Ghetto-Glove-Bag. I took a brand new clear garbage bag and one by one placed a jar or tub inside and to the end. Using the bag from the outside I remove the tinfoil and have a look inside. There was life in every one ! Ryhzo even , but slower than I had hoped due to lower temps in the last week. Good growth none the less.

There would have been no way to see what was going on by simply looking at the jar from outside the bag , but when I opened each one inside the Glove-Bag , I could tell that it was eating through the cardboard and into the WBS. Its only a matter of time now that the heats back to 80 for the WBS to start being obviously colonized to the eye.

If all goes well I will eventually remove the cardboard discs with the clone chunks inside a Glove-Bag and let it fully colonize , then spank that into a new plastic bag , inject as much water as I want , massage the bag and suck back mycelium Super Mario clone syringes. Then with the WBS that is left after the sucking , use that as one normally would to spawn to manure etc.

Pardon the picture quality , but filming through plastic is harder than herding cats ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was ones doing better than these , but literally 2 out 10 pictures showed up not severely blurry. I'll get more as it crests the cardboard and gets into the WBS.

Attached Thumbnails

• cars2.JPG
  • card3.JPG
  • card1.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!