#41 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

Yah , PM'ing the winners in due course as we get closer to seeing if I actually get fruits. They know who they are , cause I told them they won. I decided to do 3 because a long time member knew the exact answer right away. For now focusing on the grow.

#42 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Those red boys look just like my pureto ricans i have and i get the same feedback

Are you sure you don't have RB and not PR? If your harvest look all just like the second post in this thread, then you must also have something different than the PR's shown on this site.. I've looked many times and they always have fully opening normal caps, although at stages they look similar (white stalk, reddish cap early on), I can't see a single Penis Envy style with enormous fat stalk.

Y'all got a picture of one of these identical Puerto Rican harvests?

Thanks.

Edited by hyphaenation, 08 May 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#43 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

After a few days the gallon jar of Popcorn that received the G2G transfer is nearly colonized. As I mentioned I don't normally do this unless I'm raising spawn for a large bulk project. Its a crying shame when you lose a jar this big to contams , so I was careful , clean and hit it with as much as 35% spawn-rate. This way at 80F it colonized very fast.

Posted Image

I think I'll make more logs , in slightly larger bags (for easier filling , last time was a PITA) , as they seem to be doing the best in my setup.

Attached Thumbnails

• popcorn1.jpg

#44 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

The logs are impressive for sure, I would make more if I were you.

Will you fruit them vertically? Or at least one of them? (either hanging or with a stand)

#45 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have thought about doing that , not sure right now. I'm following the path of least resistance and doing whatever is convenient at the moment. Biggest thing is to keep them from drying out once the plastic is removed for fruiting. Might try a larger bag around each like a chronic style (with breather holes). Definitely will not be misting several times daily ... those days are gone.

Considering sticking maxi-pad tampons on the walls of the fruiter , soaking them periodically when needed.

#46 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Dude, KILLER FREAKIN' THREAD!!!!

Just the RedBoy documentation would be cool, but you have gone so much farther. It's like memory lane and it is cool as fuck.

Any excuse to dig up one of Vision's laundry basket pics is a good one.

This is my favourite quote so far: "waterboarding the pillowcase"

I laughed out loud at that.

Also, kudos for not saying the pic was apropos because that's mostly what the man pictured is filled with...it's sad that I had to go cheap and childish like that, isn't it? Ah well, yer a better man than I...

#47 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Posted Image

H
ad to decide between calling this "walking the plank" or "waterboarding" ...

#48 tricktek

tricktek

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I think I'll make more logs , in slightly larger bags (for easier filling , last time was a PITA) , as they seem to be doing the best in my setup. original quote from hyph

Are you using funnels to start the filling process? I'm asking because a proper (even homemade) funnel will make it faster.

#49 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

A funnel would come in handy for sure. I started out to do a few mono-tubs but had pasteurized more Horse manure than I thought so I had extra. Then I thought while I'm at it i'll do some logs, but I was already tired and only had so many bags so I did a couple dozen and then moved on the pucks with the remainder of the manure.

It was a long day with lots of work and thats why I mixed up the routine so much with pucks and logs and tubs. Basically using what I had on hand, same with the horse manure.

#50 Star Cap

Star Cap

Conshroomer

• Expired Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Haha!! Walking the plank, horse shit in insence bags, history of the hobby and tons of facts, a beautiful and intriguing strain, rattlesnake venom!!!!, that delicious blue stem water, and a gallon of spawn!!! Absolutely a-Fucking-mazing!!! Thanks!! Redboys on my list. Now that i have one!!!:cool:

#51 KartyacArrest

KartyacArrest

ಠ_ಠ

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

I read that old thread about the history of redboy. Took me about 45 minutes to read through all of the posts. My god, what a shit storm. Even after Hip edited the thread, a lot of bashing between the legendary.

Is the snake venom tek still used?

Your logs are looking great man. Can't wait to see some fruits up in this thread!

#52 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

I'm anticipating somewhat slow growth because of the fact I used straight Horse manure and its compressed somewhat in the logs and pucks ... the mono-tubs got a TSA pat-down only. Had I been able to purchase and use some verm I would have , but as I mentioned early both stores were sold out and I couldn't wait a week.

I went with what I had and rolled with it so that means I may have to wait a decent amount of time for full colonization. No need to rush , I hit it with the amount of Popcorn I felt right about and save some for more G2G etc.

This grow is built for comfort and not for speed.

It's sitting in pitch black at a constant 77.5 F ... there's not really much I can do for it now. I had been rotating the placement of the tubs and totes for even closeness to the heater , but even that I stopped and placed the heater as centrally as possible.

I may even go away for a few days and will check back in about a week. This way I get the "Christmas Effect" instead of thrice daily "lunch-bag let-down". If anything excessively interesting happens I'll update , but barring that this thread will be on pause for update pics.

Feel free to hang out and whatever.

#53 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

I may even go away for a few days and will check back in about a week. This way I get the "Christmas Effect" instead of thrice daily "lunch-bag let-down". If anything excessively interesting happens I'll update , but barring that this thread will be on pause for update pics.

NEWBIES - PAY ATTENTION!

I have never heard it called the "Christmas Effect" vs. the "lunch-bag let-down" but you are SOOOOOOO dead on the money with that comparison.

I hope ya don't mind, but I'm gonna be stealing that phrase from ya...it's just too damned good of an analogy...
  • Xerces likes this

#54 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Very nice to see you finally getting to this project Hyph.
I am praying the Mario Gods are looking down on you....

#55 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

Good to see there's a doctor in the house...

:teeth:

#56 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well blow me down... Here I am already with an update. It's about the pucks. Half of them look quite decent, kinda slowish but nice and the other half that ended up with the dregs have less spawn and less mycelium. So here's the dilemma. If I leave it as is I won't be to happy with the staggered growth. If I mess with half of them and remix with more spawn I will likely stall them momentarily and risk possible contams if I'm not meticulously clean.

In the name of Science I'm going to to do the later and be careful about it. I'll mix the 6 pucks in a clean tub with about a pint of premium colonized Popcorn, mixed with gloved hands and lightly repack. I say that because without verm or something similar it seems manure alone can not be packed to the same compression that previous pucks I worked on such as leaves, Garlic chips, Knotweed and the like.Those things all added to a spongyness of the sub when pressed.

Had I left it be it would eventually finish im sure, but I'm old and life is short....

Pics to follow.

#57 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm old and life is short...

I think that every time I'm looking at the cooler full of ridiculously tasty high gravity beers. "So much beer, so little time."

#58 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Pucks are kind of a mentally challenged cousin of BBnuggets. I did those 2litre pop bottle BBnuggets grows and then devised the puck system, by way of making horse-poo paper and combining that with popcorn + manure...und pressing.

Verm in there ,as done in the past would be bosser. Anyhow we will see fluffier pucks side by side compressed ones. Those clear plastic food containers come in handy to hold together until birth.

Edited by hyphaenation, 09 May 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#59 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

I'm just diggin it all!! It's good stuff Hyph I appreciate it!
~Dani

#60 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Pah - my nuggets were just a minor variance from what was already well documented.

You are an actual experimenter. I'm a lab geek documenting results as "valid" or "invalid" and building upon previously existing work.

Never make the mistake of attaching an excess of consideration to my opinions!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!