#61 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

So I ended up examining each puck for myc content and turns out only about 5 or so were lagging behind and those were the ones I did last of all from the bottom of the tub. The others i decided to leave alone as they weren't so bad off really. Here's a shot of each.

Slow poke:
Posted Image

Doing better , left ones like this alone:
Posted Image

I took my rubber gloves and bowl & cleaned them in hot soapy water. Then I added a puck to the bowl and mixed in a nice amount of colonized popcorn.

Posted Image

This got mixed well and I immediately placed in larger size clear food containers. They were what i had on hand , plus when I added the extra popcorn and left it fluffy it increased the volume of sub material. When I dropped it into the container I gently banged down to let it settle but did not press , except a tiny bit to tidy up the top.

Posted Image

I filled each container and then added lids with breathers. I couldn't keep them upside down as they were because shrapnel would fall out. Now the tub looks different with a couple sizes of pucks. Later I will birth them into a couple monotubs so they have room to fruit.

Posted Image

This wasn't ideal or even 100% necessary , but I made a judgement call and now as a bonus I can compare the same sub material pressed and unpressed side-by-side.

Attached Thumbnails

• remix1.jpg
  • remix2.jpg
  • remix3.jpg
  • remix4.jpg
  • remix5.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 09 May 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#62 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Things i've been learning so far:

- When using straight Horse manure , water content is important and it's easy to have excess. Need to drain well and waterboard the sub-pillow.
- Filling log-bags in bags that have a narrow opening a funnel can help , especially if you are doing lots of logs.
- Loose fill is better then compressed when using straight manure. Vermiculite or other filler would solve this situation.
- Puck holding food containers are preffered to having the pucks loose , for humidity & handling. Lids with breathers until birth avoid spills
- Don't be Scottish (cheap) with spawn , especially when working with straight manure. The more the merrier , if you got it - use it.
- Take time to fully prepare for the grow and have containers on hand before-hand instead of gathering on the fly. Fruiting tubs to ...

Those are a few of the things I have been observing and mental notes I've been thinking about so far.

#63 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

To make myself feel better after farting around with the puck tub when I wanted to let sleeping dogs lie , I spent a moment or two with the log tub. Here's a sneak peak.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I'll do one last thing , which is go and get enough yogurt container lids and make each puck container have a proper lid with a proper breather. I don't want spillage to lead to trouble and the neater and tidier it is , the more I can leave it alone for awhile. Again , I should have done all this in advance or shortly there after. As soon as you think of something you need , you should grab it because you'll forget later and things will be less than optimum. By tomorrow everything will be set up the way I want.

Attached Thumbnails

• newlog2.jpg
  • newlog.jpg

#64 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Looks like the straight poo logs are doing quite well. Maybe they should be to go to in a verm crisis. :eusa_thin

Thanks for outlining what your learning from your straight poo situation so people can do so from you as well.

Great read thus far. Lots to keep me entertained.

#65 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

The morel of the story is plan ahead and get your setup totally prepared in advance, make a checklist.

My excuse, though flimsy is that I live in a tiny village far away... Still though sometimes it's worth waiting to get the right stuff if you have the time.

Now each puck container has a matching lid with breather. Finally peace & organization in the puck tub! I literally hate farting around inside their after they are set to go. I gave the tub a clean in the meantime and wiped each container.

#66 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

The verm truck finally came to town...

I have pasteurized a bunch of verm in a bucket, just in case and also some more Horse manure. I'll update later with a progress report.

#67 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

Them logs is startin' to look flat out sexy...

#68 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

Thankee

I have something radical in the works. Pictures in an hour....:reb:

#69 Star Cap

Star Cap

Conshroomer

• Expired Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

Best looking turds ive ever seen!! Looks like the myc's loving them too!!

Its been an hour!! The suspense is killing me!!!!

#70 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Okay. Pardon the delay ...

I broke the golden rule and got drinking while running projects. At least i wasn't operating a PC.

I'm going to drop the pictures off here and come back and explain about them later after work. Basically I mixed verm with one of the tubs , more pasteurized horse manure and a bunch of colonized popcorn. I still have a straight manure tub and logs and pucks ... but now I have all of them with more spawn and vermiculite.

Check back later for more details.

*Update*

Okay so I have a few minutes to add some descriptions of what i did. As I mentioned above several times there was no verm in town on the day I went to make these projects. I went ahead anyways based on the fact that the Horse manure was in very good shape when I got it. You've already heard that some of the straight dookie pucks were hit with less spawn and they went slower than the others. One of the tubs was doing better than the other also because I made one in layers with spawn and the other was just what was left over.

The tub that wasn't doing as good I decided to mix in with verm and a bunch more popcorn spawn. At the same time I decided to pasteurize a half tote of horse manure to beef up my bulk. After drunken waterboarding , which I allmost wiped out I decided to let things cool till morning and sobriety.

This morning I mixed the boiled/pasteurized verm (did that as precaution) with the cooled/drained Horse manure and slowly add popcorn spawn and the other tub that was slower (but had decent mycelium).

Posted Image

I wanted to fill plastic drinking cups with this and make a bunch of cup-pucks. At first I started filling each cup my hand , one by one and then it dawned on me ... why not do a couple dozen at a time.

Posted Image

I filled a tub with empty party glasses and dropped sub-spawn in each one evenly , very gently packing only the top to clean it up. It took less than a minute to fill 24 cups , so I did it twice.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When the cups were all full I cleaned each one up , wipe a kleenex around the inner rim if there was crud on it. I had pre-cut tinfoil squares to place on each cup. That tinfoil was "heavy duty" gauge.

Posted Image

Assembled the army of puck-cups and poked a hole in each one with the tip of my handy-dandy paring knife. Also using the point of the knife I guided in a rolled ball of polyfil into each hole. Goes fairly quickly with practice.
Posted Image

Now I needed a place to colonize and fruit my 50 pucks ! Thought for a bit ... hmmm why not that old unused bathtub. Laid styrofoam on the bottom to keep any cold barriered from the cups.Then I laid poly plastic over the whole tub area and taped it down with clear packing tape. Taped it good and draped the extra plastic over the front of the tub and taped it down.

Then I placed another sheet of poly plastic over that as a lid and taped it on 3 sides. Placed my cleaned up cups in the tub , closed the lid , secured it and made a breather hole with a square of tinfoil taped to the lid , made a hole in that and stuffed polyfil

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• tub6.jpg
  • tub2.jpg
  • tub4.jpg
  • tub7.jpg
  • tub3 - Copy.jpg
  • tub1 - Copy.jpg
  • tub5.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 12 May 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#71 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

as a side bonus , I also got to make this fatty tub with the extra that was left after filling the cup-pucks.

Posted Image

The mix is really good with a high content of verm and popcorn spawn.

So I didn't lose anything by doing this , because I added extra Horse manure and verm , it really fluffed up. I still have extra yet that i will use later to fill some logs. Then I will have a good mixture of trials on the go for a straight manure grow. Hopefully somewhere in there is some fruiting ...

#72 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

With the Horse manure / verm / popcorn spawn that was left I decided to use a larger bag. The last ones were 3 X 10 inches ziplock. The new ones are 5 X 12 and are really easy to fill. They are big enough at the bottom that they can actually stand up. I filled each on loosely , then banged it on the table to tamp and added a bit more. As before I clean the bag and especially around the opening with a rag to remove outside poo remnants.

I poked the pin holes for FAE and left them standing in a tub so that they can settle with that flat bottom. You can see the small dip container in the picture. I will put moist verm in there and stand each log up it with its plastic bag removed. that will accomplish two things ... moisture can be fed to the log there via the verm but also it helps with log stability and accidental knock-overs.

Posted Image

Now my work is finally done. I have given every puck container either a yogurt lid or heavy tinfoil , all with polyfil breathers. The slowish tub is now ressurected as a heavily spawned poo & verm tub with a nice fluffy 3 inch sub depth. I now have 3 kinds of pucks ... straight 100% horse manure , straight horse manure with extra popcorn and horse/verm/popcorn. Some are pressed harder and others left fluffy.

For logs I now the 3 inch diameter ones of straight manure , no verm and the larger 5 inch diameter horse manure/verm/popcorn.

Everything is peaceful , warm and happy in the growing cave. I'm doing a clean up and will now , for reals ... stay out for some time. No more farting around !

PS: The bathtub will be fun ...

Attached Thumbnails

• bags1.jpg

Edited by hyphaenation, 11 May 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#73 KartyacArrest

KartyacArrest

ಠ_ಠ

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Brilliant. :cool:
I've been thinking about using disposable cups for pucks after I saw this thread. You beat me to it!
Man, I'm really excited for this thread. I can't believe you have an entire tub filled with pucks! For shit's and giggles, you should just use that tub as a fruiting chamber while you're at it! You'd just be bathing in mushrooms then!

Okay, that last joke was terrible, I'll show myself out... :eusa_whis

#74 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

For shit's and giggles, you should just use that tub as a fruiting chamber while you're at it!

That's the plan ... I left them in cups with lids to avoid shrapnel falling off them and then contaming and also to hold optimum humidity & moisture until birth. I plan to pop them out of their cups , big side up if its feasible sprinkled with moist verm top and bottom. If that's a pain in the but then upside down , with verm.

#75 KartyacArrest

KartyacArrest

ಠ_ಠ

• Free Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

I can't wait. Killer thread man. Your hard work will surely pay off. I don't mind watching either...

#76 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

This is going to rock Hyph!!! This is the kind of work I have been doing just not like this I freakin love it!:love:

Thank you for being so on point with your words and the pics speak volumes too, well done my friend!

I am so stoked to see a bathtub fruit omg this is going to be freaking epic!!!

Archive Material!!!!!
Mahalo~Dani

#77 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

*Now Playing*

- Pucks with 100% Horse manure spawned with popcorn , pressed tightly
- Pucks with 100% Horse manure spawned with more popcorn than above and pressed lightly
- Pucks with Horse manure / verm mix spawned with popcorn , lightly packed

-Logs with 100% Horse manure , spawned with popcorn
-Bigger logs with Horse manure / verm mixed , spawned with popcorn

- Tub of 100% Horse manure spawned with popcorn
- Tub of Horse manure /verm mix , spawned with lots of popcorn

#78 Lookin 2 Grow

Lookin 2 Grow

Is Growing ;)

• Expired Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Pucking AWESOME man!!!

I pucked mine all up & ended up doing 2 x Bulk tubs (which are coming along nicely)

My downfall was using a cup made of metal. I packed the poop in then turned & tapped on the bench & it just fell apart as it was coming out.

I did that a few times then gave up. I'm gonna source a heap of plastic cups (like what your using) OR some bigger chinese / take away style containers.

Cheers man, this thread is awesome.

I'll let you know when I have another go. :cool:

#79 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,978 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

This is the kind of work I have been doing just not like this I freakin love it!:love:

Love this site , love Hip & Mrs.Hip , love you & Bri ... its a big ole love in! :heartbeat

I like working in open-source projects where anyone can take it and run with it , change it and interact.

#80 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

And it's freakin' fun to watch, dude! Killah threadage!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!