• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:01 PM

ok guys i plan to go full auto, in a closet lined in plastic. I will put my own brand new plastic shelves in. My questions are do i need an ultrasonic or cool mist for humidification.......or both........or should i just buy both to take advantage of the ultrasonic spore dispersal......?

also i am planning on getting a FMRC ionizer, what do you think? YAY or NAY I mean if i shower and stuff before i go into the room with the closet do you think i should get it just for safety. I recently had a small trich prob with my cakes but that was from my neglect to exchange air , FOR SURE, because i had to work a lot.....I will bleach clean everything

any other things you guys think i might need, i have a hydrometer, hair style coming from torka}, and other stuff from my cake grows and etc......

just anything you think i need to make the closet work would be great along with ideas?

thanks

}

#2 Guest_pg_*

Guest_pg_*

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:12 PM

ive been using a coolmist, the mouth is U-shaped, it is curved. For containment I put a clear trash bag over a 4-pier shelf cart and duct-taped the opening shut. Then I cut the zipper off of a rain coat i had and duct-taped it on the bag, zipped it down cut a line down the middle of the bag, then zipped back up. This humidifies very well. Didnt use any tubes on the coolmist, i just cut a hole on the bottom of the bag and taped the hole in the bag to the opening of the coolmist. I dont think the ionizer is a bad idea either. Oh yeah, make sure to put a towel underneath to soak up any water that leaks. hygrometer wont hurt, but i dont use one. Keep the coolmist on 24/7. To provide light, just improvise, go flourescent.

#3 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:51 AM

thanks, but i pretty much knew all that........i think i got things well thought out, as i post pics i think more help could come in.........but don't hesitate to add something, anyone, who might think there is something i need.......

i know if mycota views this he will say autoclavable bags and an impulse sealer.....which i should get lol

#4 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:46 AM

A coolmist will work great, even though they don't last long. Get a humidistat to control the humidity. Make provisions for fresh air to enter the closet.

#5 Guest_realschmeal_*

Guest_realschmeal_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:21 AM

ultrasonic humidifiers don't help with spore dispersal, that is an ultrasonic water bath for jewelry you want to get for that- completely different. Put a coolmist outside the closet if you can and run a hose inside, that should provide air exchange if you run it 24/7, otherwise you'll have to do it manually. I have had a problem with too much humidity from only one coolmist I used, if it happens just provide another way for the mist to get out besides the hose into the closet. A humidistat would be a nice addition if you find one cheap, but timers suck. I just use a digital humidity guage but I would probably get a humidistat if I felt it was necessary, which it is for "full" automation.
I also keep my coolmist in a tray to catch water leaking from it, saves me alot of headaches. You still will have to water once or twice a day - to fill up the humidifier, it does however save you from opening the fruiting chamber unnecessarily. In your case, you will still have to open it to check up on stuff, cuz I doubt you have a see-thru door.

#6 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:31 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

ultrasonic humidifiers don't help with spore dispersal, that is an ultrasonic water bath for jewelry you want to get for that-<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

thank you

i will have to open the closet periodically, but the less the better.........

rodger, do you have any links where i can get a humidistat.......and how would i use one in conjunction with a cool mist.....

ill do a search and read but more info would be great, thanks

#7 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:21 PM

Go to this site and scroll down to the Pre-wired humidistat. I'd put the humidifier in the closet and you only need to fill it every three days or so. The humidistat will stop you from having water everywhere because it will shut off when it reaches its setting. You should have a gap under the door to allow for fresh air. Cut another one inch gap across the top of the door. That will give you circulation. The cool mist will be able to keep up. I regularly leave for three days at a time. Everything chugs right along.

#8 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

the room the closet is in is rarely used..........and it is clean, soon it will be bombed and have a FMRC ionizer in it......... So i am assuming that if i shower and use some hand foam (steris, alcohol hand foam), and wear clean clothes when i enter, everything should be fine as far as keeping contams at bay.........

also your plan sounds good, so if you are suggesting i take and inch off the top and bottom of the door, i will; the room has carpet too----is this a problem, the closet will be lined with plastic, should i leave plastic over where the door is----i am assuming no plastic over the door from what you described.......and i will get the humidistat

also, should something catch the mist from the cool mist or should it be rigged up with hose, or should i just put it in there and let it act normally........i suppose i would have to rig something to keep the casings from getting wet/misted from the machine especially after primordia form........

i was thinking about colonizing rye or wbs and spawning to straw/horse poo or dung what do you think about this .........do you have another substrate mix you prefer......i will be getting ph strips off fungi.com unless you know better ones for ph.

and i plan on using foil trays, etc unless you think something is better, going to do some 2-4 inches sub depth.......case with verm/coir or something....

thanks

#9 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

also, anyone had any good experience with ionizer, or anyone even ordered one......

thanks

#10 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:29 PM

ultrasonic humidifiers don't help with spore dispersal, that is an ultrasonic water bath for jewelry you want to get for that- completely different.

actually one can use the ultrasonic humidifier for spore dispersal.

#11 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

carpet's a problem.
why not save your room from all this
and just grow inside one of those plastic portable wardrobe/closets ?
see http://archives.myco...tml? 1061385727

Edited by Doctor D, 08 November 2009 - 10:42 AM.
URL

#12 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:34 PM

anyone had any good experience with ionizer, or anyone even ordered one......

see http://archives.myco...tml ?1104529595

Edited by Doctor D, 08 November 2009 - 10:43 AM.
URL

#13 Guest_realschmeal_*

Guest_realschmeal_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:01 PM

thanks for setting me straight on that hip, I remember that being brought up in the main thread when it got going, but I thought the answer was no. Happy to hear that was wrong though, it might be easier to find one of those at yardsale, they're proly cheaper anyway.

#14 Guest_doctor_funk_*

Guest_doctor_funk_*

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:37 PM

A FOAF has an automated setup using a Tropic Aire Humidifier on a timer set to run for 1 hour per 12 hours. The growing chamber is a Sterilite 66qt storage container with at least 3/4 inches of perlite on the bottom. 4 of 12 cakes in the chamber have pinned. What is in question for this setup is the amount of fanning needed.... Also, the humidity seems to be fine but a considerable amount of condensation keeps building up on the underside of the lid and seems to be dropping on the cakes, could this be too much of a good thing since these cakes have already been dunked?

Thanks for reading... and thanks for any input!

pz.

-Funk

#15 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:49 PM

fan like 3-5 times a day, or more......and once pinning has initiated, i like to stop misting.........the perlite does a good job of keeping the RH up.......

i like to mist by hand.......

Too much hydration can have negative effects on the cakes...

also if you humidifier is simply suppling the humidity automatically and you still have to fan by hand there is no point to have a humidifier for your terrarium/cakes.......id just do it by hand and keep total control.........

however auto is nice to have, really nice to have but i wouldnt do it unless both your misting and air exchange are automatic......

good luck........

#16 Guest_doctor_funk_*

Guest_doctor_funk_*

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:12 AM

Python, thanks for the insight. During fruiting I've noticed the mushies thrive on air exchange as I'm assuming would be the case in their natural environment and a sign for the mycellium to start it's reproduction phase. Anyone have any ideas about how to automate an air exchange for this setup in the future to get "true" automation?

#17 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:28 AM

im not too sure about automation, as my friend always did everything by hand

the condensation can be from extra humidity building up on the lid, or just from difference in tempatures from inside the bin to the outside relative tempature of the room they are in.

you dont want drops constantly raining on your cakes, maybe a drip shield would be needed.

#18 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

" Anyone have any ideas about how to automate an air exchange for this setup in the future to get "true" automation?"

I leave a small aquarium air pump on 24/7. This gives a constant supply of fresh air and eliminates the need for fanning. Just watch the humidity to make sure it doesn't get too low and adjust the air flow down a bit if it does. (or make the tropic air stay on longer)

#19 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

You'd be much better to have the humidifier run for a few seconds every ten minutes or so. That would give you a much more stable humidity and also provide the air exchange you need.

The timer I use is the cyclestat 4 timer at this website. It's pre-wired so all you do is plug your humidifier into it and set the timer. Scroll down to find the timers. http://www.littlegre...controls2.shtml

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!