4 replies to this topic

#1 Barnard

Barnard

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hello,

I realise all these questions are out there but there are so many variations im still a bit confused. Just after a bit of advice on a first a/b extraction for 200g of MHRB. Firstly was going to do 3 acid pulls but want to know how much liquid after 3 pulls should one be aiming to work with for 200g of bark. It may end up needing reducing slightly and was thinking to around 1.5 litres?? Then add enough base say 500ml to get ph up?? That will give a total of 2 litres before adding naptha, sound ok?? Then how much naptha would be best to use each time for 3 pulls? And finally for 200g of bark how much napth should remain before sticking in freezer, or should one just evap whole lot if not fussy on perfect crystals.

Cheers

#2 peacegrow

peacegrow

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

I've been an a/b'er (as opposed to stb) a few times, and it seems like you quantities you mention seems about right. (a la Marsofold with updates for baking pan).
But it's hard to tell because some of the liquid in the acid extraction stays in the mush, so it's never exact.

The other thing I've noticed about marsofold is that the crystals don't stick for me, and generally float in the naptha after precipitating. So, rather than pouring off the naptha and scraping, it has been more of filtering the naptha in a smooth coffee filter. What sticks is usually lower quality.

As far as evaporating before freezing goes, it seemed like it made lower quality crystals. The last time I didn't evaporate at all before freezing, but did it afterwards with the discard. It produced some very orange crystals and red sticky tar, which I think it closer to jungle spice. (I haven't really tried it much, so I'm not sure if it's good.) So, I'd suggest not evaporating or evaporating only a little bit before freezing.
Once that's done, you can evaporate what's left over after getting the crystals out to see what was left behind. I guess you could also evaporate what's left over 80% or so and refreeze.

(To me the size and shape of the crystal isn't as important as how white/clear they are.)

(I also generally skip the ammonia wash, because I've had some bad experiences with it, and it seems fine without it.)

#3 McDozd

McDozd

In this moment

• Expired Member
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hello,

I realise all these questions are out there but there are so many variations im still a bit confused. Just after a bit of advice on a first a/b extraction for 200g of MHRB. Firstly was going to do 3 acid pulls but want to know how much liquid after 3 pulls should one be aiming to work with for 200g of bark. It may end up needing reducing slightly and was thinking to around 1.5 litres?? Then add enough base say 500ml to get ph up?? That will give a total of 2 litres before adding naptha, sound ok?? Then how much naptha would be best to use each time for 3 pulls? And finally for 200g of bark how much napth should remain before sticking in freezer, or should one just evap whole lot if not fussy on perfect crystals.

Cheers

Just a heads up 3 pulls will not get all the goodies out but will get most.
If you are still pulling color you are getting goodies.
It usually takes SWIM around 6-7 pulls to get all the goodies out.
If you are working with 200g I would do each pull with 1.5 liters.
When you get all your pulls together(reducing as you pull) your final amount I would shoot for is around 2 liters.
Pull with warm solvent(like 200ml pulls are good) and get lots of goodies.
Just remember it takes a while to get all the goodies out of the bark.
After you do say 3 pulls(should fill a quart jar or liter jar well) put it in the freezer for 48 hours.
Then pour off the solvent to get see your goodies chunky at the bottom.
Rinse and repeat.
Pull 3 more times on the bark to get the remaining stuff(probably overkill but wanna make sure you get it all)
The worst part SWIM says for new people is getting all the magik into the water before tossing the bark.
:hippie:

#4 Barnard

Barnard

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

Cheers for the replys people. I guess it would sorta be following marsofolds tek, but with slight modifications since one has lots of time. Hows this for an idea? Simmer in pH 3 water for two hours then let sit overnight, the next day collect liquid and simmer again for a couple hours then let sit overnight again. Repeat this for a few days then combine and reduce down liquid to a useable amount. My next question is, when adding naptha should the basified liquid and naptha be warm, or just the naptha? In this step does it matter how long the naptha is in there, and would shaking be better than rolling if you could wait long enough for the layers to settle. Thanks

#5 Barnard

Barnard

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

Ok looking for advice now! SWIM has been simmering at 90 deg for about two hours now, this is the first 'pull'. Problem is that the MHRB was very powderey and i dont think filtering is going to work very well. Should it just be poured in to a 2L bottle and let settle overnight then pour off the top and the same repeated again? Hoping that it does actually settle at the bottom of bottle! Any thoughts people? Cheers
  • afahad likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!